Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Absolutely, Memphis, like Birmingham was doomed because of the behavior before, during and after the Civil Rights movement...
Memphis is "doomed"? So because it is smaller means that it is "doomed"? So what if it didn't win over the so-called business community, it isn't small by any objective measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Actually, it does a lot (but includes more than what the poster stated)...

Atlanta and Birmingham (until the mid 1950's) were of roughly equal-size, importance, and economic might.

The two cities' reactions to the Civil Rights Movement caused the southern airport hub, and northern business investment/relocations to happen in Atlanta (not Birmingham)...the rest is history. (And, it has been said that Birmingham was actually designated as a more desirable location for the airport hub since it is more centralized in the American South.)

(Now, it must be said as well...it wasn't as if Atlanta's white power/business elite was magically non-racist or something...they were just very pragamatic...they were businessmen...and the business of Atlanta is business! They didn't want any messy civil rights junk hurting their profits and progress.)
While Birmingham is more centralized in an east-west manner, considering Florida, I'd say that Atlanta is more centralized.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
I dont think civil rights has anything to do with it. Its simpler than that:

If you take Atlanta out of Georgia, all you have is Mississippi. In other words, outside of Atlanta, Georgia is pretty poedunk (besides Savannah). The rest of those small cities suck in my opinion.
That's your opinion. If you take out Atlanta, it'd probably be more comparable to Alabama than Mississippi. What's so bad about that? There are plenty of rural areas all over this country. If you take out the largest metro area from most states, they'd be like "Mississippi or Alabama", which isn't a bad thing.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:55 PM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
Doesn't over half of the State population reside in the Atlanta Metro area? This may have something to do with it.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:48 PM

91 posts, read 344,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
That's your opinion. If you take out Atlanta, it'd probably be more comparable to Alabama than Mississippi. What's so bad about that? There are plenty of rural areas all over this country. If you take out the largest metro area from most states, they'd be like "Mississippi or Alabama", which isn't a bad thing.

Alabama and Mississippi are the armpit of America. Those two states have some of the highest poverty rates, the worst school perfromance, and the most obese populations. Some people may disagree, but I think most people would agree that those two states are not desireable places to live.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
Let's say you are a young single person in his mid 20s.. just graduated college or grad school with a professional degree.. maybe something IT, communications, management, etc. Now where are you going to want to live?? Most likely in a bigger city with a lot of people similar to yourself: young, educated, professional, single..
Now where in Georgia are you going to find that other than Atlanta?
I think Savannah is a great little city, but even it doesn't have much to offer this demographic, especially in the way of jobs.
Another problem with the secondary cities is that the operate on the "old school system>" meaning things are based on the good-ole-boy system.. who you know, rather than what you know or where you went to school. These cities sort of just close themselves off to outside influences.. in fact they fear change of the status quo, because it might disrup the system. This is especially true in Augusta, and I am sure it is true in places like Macon, Columbus and Albany too. So maybe these cities need to look inward as to why they have not been able to attract the same type and amount of development Atlanta has.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:40 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,574 times
Quote:
Alabama and Mississippi are the armpit of America. Those two states have some of the highest poverty rates, the worst school perfromance, and the most obese populations. Some people may disagree, but I think most people would agree that those two states are not desireable places to live.
How can a state so close to Atlanta (Alabama), be the armpit of America ? Doesnt Alabama's close proximity to Atlanta help its economy ? I guess Atlanta's influence doesn't go beyond it's metro area. I mean the ATL metro borders Alabama, so you would think some of Atlanta's influence would extend into Alabama. Alabama is, after all, the state closest to Atlanta. I would think that being so close to such a great international city like Atlanta would be a tremendous asset for Alabama.

Last edited by matt8325; 08-17-2008 at 05:07 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,499 times
Quote:
According to the CDC (AL, MS & TN) have the highest percentiles of obesity in the USA (30.1-32.0%) while (GA, SC & NC) are NEXT IN LINE in the high 20s percentile (GA=28.2%)

US Census reports that the highest incidents of poverty occur in MS (#1) while AL & GA rank 9th and 15th (2005 census poverty rankings).

Within GA (Fayette, Forsyth & Cherokee) Counties rank the LOWEST poverty level in the State (4.3, 5.0 & 6.1%) while Fulton & DeKalb counties both rank at 15.9% each. Cobb & Gwinnett (8th & 10th in the State) are 7.5 & 8.7%

The County in GA with the most residents in poverty is Clay in Southwest Georgia which showed 33% of residents at the poverty level.

The local education rankings can be found on several sites, one very good one for parents to rate local high schools is www.schoolmatters.com, which is managed and compiled by Standard & Poors.

Other excellent high school rankings can be found at www.usnews.com/sections/education/high-schools or www.newsweek.com/id/39380

Georgia didn’t fare too well on this front either … didn’t make the first 100 however Walton High School in Marietta ranked #109 on the Newsweek poll.

I think before we condemn our 'neighbor' States for being impoverished, I believe we shouldn't look any further than our own back yard. We have a lot of work to do in our own neighborhood so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
How can a state so close to Atlanta (Alabama), be the armpit of America ? Doesnt Alabama's close proximity to Atlanta help its economy ? I guess Atlanta's influence doesn't go beyond it's metro area. I mean the ATL metro borders Alabama, so you would think some of Atlanta's influence would extend into Alabama. Alabama is, after all, the state closest to Atlanta. I would think that being so close to such a great international city like Atlanta would be a tremendous asset for Alabama.
I truly don't think we are "there" yet ... there is truly no "port of call" here in Metro Atlanta and the ATL airport is the main entry point into the area of international trade and transit.

I personally wouldn't go so far as to polish our "laurels" yet for including ourselves in an international community whereas most residents do nothing but complain incessantly about the airport. It is our true and only international "port of call" in the Atlanta metro area.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:50 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Georgia has I-185, I-16, and I-95, each of which do not go to Atlanta. Furthermore, there are very small sections of I-24 and I-59 which clip the far northwestern corner of the state.

Good point!

ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME?

Do all roads lead to Rome, Georgia? I don't think so!

Do all roads lead to Atlanta? I don't think so!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:58 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
Good point!

ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME?
Do all roads lead to Rome, Georgia? I don't think so!
Do all roads lead to Atlanta? I don't think so!
So very, very true ... however many indigenous residents I've met have NEVER left the State of Georgia. Even some transplants have never stepped foot inside a city larger than Atlanta. Some base their perceptions and observations merely on their own experiences however extensive or not ... and that becomes their 'gospel' ...

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-17-2008 at 08:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta