U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 8,979 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband is being transferred to North Atlanta. We have been told that Roswell and Alpharetta are growing areas for young families with good schools. However, people (friends who used to live there) are telling us that the traffic is horrible and that both of the cities might be too long of a
commute. Looking at a map on line, I was able to determine that Roswell is
about 10 miles North of his office and that Alpharetta is about 15 miles
North. What kind of commute would these cities be in the typical "Atlanta
rush hour?"

We have three smal kids so we are most concerned about finding a home in the best school district. Of the two cities -- Roswell and Alpharetta -- which is known to have better schools overall?

Any advice would be helpful!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM

985 posts, read 5,217,442 times
There was a split in Alpharatta. A lot of unincorporated Alphratta decided to form its own city - John's Creek. It has best schools in North Fulton (Northview and Chattohoochee). Check zip code Alphratta 30022. Milton of Alpharatta are next. Then Roswell High.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM

What kind of a commute would that be to North Atlanta?

Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Where in North Atlanta (not specific address, but is at Perimeter, Cumberland, etc) is his office and if you don't mind sharing, what is your price range?

Old 01-29-2007, 12:13 PM

His office is on Perimeter Blvd. Our price range is $375,00 -$425,00.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:32 PM

What about the Dunwoody area? What is it known for? Would this be a good place for a young family?

Old 01-29-2007, 12:48 PM

I live in Dunwoody (DeKalb) -- your price point puts you sort of on the bottom of affordability but it would be so close it would be beautiful commute.

It is hard to explain Dunwoody -- others on here will tell you that it is one of the most prestigious parts of Metro Atlanta -- but frankly, that describes the Fulton County part more than the DeKalb. There are (or maybe were) jokes about Dunwoody housewives, but frankly most moms I know work part time or more or are just on temporary hiatus when their kids are little. While there are lots of young families in Dunwoody, I am not sure it is such a family oriented place.

Because of the high price of commerical real estate, Dunwoody doesn't have things like Gymboree, Chuck E Cheese, etc. There are a dance studio or two, karate etc, no gymastics place, no kids' theatre. We do have a new playground called Brooke Run, which is awesome.

In DeKalb, your price range would put you in either the Kingsley or Chesnut district, both good schools that are far more diverse than Austin or Vanderlyn and thus have lower test scores. But they are both good schools.

Homes in that price range in Dunwoody will be smaller and older than what you could find in Roswell and Alpharetta. Is new(ish) important to you? Is house size?

I also want to suggest Peachtree Corners to you -- specifically Simpson Elem School. There are some really nice neighborhoods and the commute (on back roads) shouldn't be horrible. (This is Gwinnett -- and while I am generally not a fan of Gwinnett, my friends are all happy in the Norcross High School feeder system.)

Old 01-29-2007, 01:22 PM

Part II --

Your price range might allow you to buy in the Woodland district of Fulton County (North Springs High School). I think Woodland is a terrific school -- they have a great principal and a nice community. It is diverse, though.

In Sandy Springs, you might be able to find something in the Spalding Drive School area as well. (Also, Fulton)

As a DeKalb parent, I think Fulton schools are better. They spend more money(taxes are higher) but it is clear that much more resources are put into the school.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 01-29-2007 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-29-2007, 01:47 PM

985 posts, read 5,217,442 times
West Norcross is nice neighborhood. Simpson elementary, next to CheckFree corporation, is pretty good elementary school. Norcross High offers only IB program in Gwinnett. It is very convenient to MARTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or