U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 12,481 times

Advertisements

I also read Melillo's book and it described my kid perfectly. It's the first decent explanation I've ever heard of what is going on in the brains of kids with ADHD, etc. We've taken our son to tons of MD's and 2 psychiatrists and they've never been able to explain what's going on -- NEVER. The psychiatrists did lots of testing but in the end wrote the same prescriptions as the MD's.

MJ

Last edited by mkjj; 09-06-2009 at 06:42 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 12,478 times
As alternatives to meds you might try Neurofeedback and/or Integrated Listening Program . Both can have amazing results but unfortunately are not covered by insurance usually.

(see [url]www.eeginfo.com[/url] and [url]www.integratedlistening.com[/url])

Old 09-06-2009, 04:09 PM

110 posts, read 201,298 times
Haven't heard of Brain Balance, but has anyone had any experience with the Marcus Autism Center?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 33,205 times
;Brain Balance did not help our child!!!!! Save your $6000 and go to a good psychologist! They often stimulate the wrong side of the brain and really only help a handful of kids.

Ask them what happens if you aren't satisfied? They only offered us more sessions for another $6000!!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 33,205 times
Sounds like you were talking about the experience my family had with Brain Balance. Terrible!

I thing there are enough parents out there who are disappointed with their results or lack of. We should consider filing a complaint or suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzpltk View Post
We too experienced the great Dr. Pete at an Open House. He was fantastic and had answers to everything. But in the end what we took away from Brain Balance was a sense of disappointment at what could have been. If the program had been regulated and monitored in a professional manner, we might have seen some success without medication for ADHD.

I have heard many different opinions about BB. We attended the one in PTC. One of our acquaintances has a child with HFA and the elimination diet alone has helped them tremendously. Although we tried this, it did not help our situation. Our child is now seen a reputable trained psychiatrist and is prescribed medication.

At the end of our 12 weeks, BB said 'oh, we've made progress but not enough...but if you give us another 3K (on top of the 5K we paid for 12 weeks) we will be excited to work with your child for another 12 weeks.

Even after explaining how outrageous their request was, no one ever contacted us from BB to discuss nor empathize with our disappointment.

About a year after (this January), we did receive a letter. It was to tell us there were new vitamin/amino acids we could purchase...as if the 500$ for that wasn't enough.

I wouldn't have cared on the amount of money we spent on trying to find a non-medication based therapy for our child. I do care that they only saw our family, our child, as a profit margin.

4moretech, I look forward to your post after your experience at BB. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 12,293 times
Fascinating, we are looking at brain balance and the costs are prohibitive. There are no satisfied customers on this site and the fact that the program is being run by chiropractors, who are NOT doctors or even psychologists is frightening.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,092 times
I am also looking into the Brain Balance Center for my 7 year old son who has sensory processing disorder and possible adhd that hasn't been diagnosed yet... I'd love an update from Balancehim to see if it worked for your son?
Thanks so much

Old 03-06-2010, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 17,998 times
I just went to a Brain Balance open house, and was impressed as well, and skeptical. The cost is just too high. When I asked if there was a "guarantee" the answer was no. But, at the end of the day, we've been paying for Sensory Processing Disorder, Speech Therapy, Neuorlogists, Auditory Processing, Listening Therapy, Psychologists. He still has problems. We just got a perscription for Ritalin, and now I'm wondering if the side effects are worth it. Do you think medication stops the brain from learning how to pay attention? Do you guys think kiddos had "problems" when we were growing up, but they outgrew them? I was talking to another mom and an intensive program like Brain Balance keeps them from running around outside and other "normal" activities. Another option, pay $300 for their evaluation and buy the book, and do the things at home.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 11,955 times
Prior to writing "Disconnected Kids", Dr. Melillo published a medical text entitled "Neurobehavioral Disorders: An Evolutionary Approach". This book is available on Amazon. Harvard and, I believe, Stanford immediately added this text to their neuropsych departments and began teaching doctors from it - an incredible endorsement of his work. Both my son and I have received treatment according to the Brain Balance protocols. My son's case, in fact, does appear in "The Disconnected Kids". My son had to spend six months in treatment (completing around 2-1/2 years ago) and post Brain Balance diet and exercise protocols are still used in his daily life. Brain Balance completely changed his life. He has shed his autism label completely and no longer has life-threatening asthma and allergies. He has not seen the inside of a hospital again for those problems since six weeks into Brain Balance. He has As and high Bs in all coursework, reads fluently and at grade level. He is fluent socially with peers and no longer receives constant complaints about his behavior at school. Presently, he is engaging in age-appropriate team sports activites - all of these problem areas prior to Brain Balance. Additionally, these protocols were completely life saving for me - bringing regulation to my heart and lungs when my brain's ability to regulate these vital functions had begun to fail. My advice to you is to take some time to learn some basic neurology - it is not that difficult a topic. With minimal effort, any parent or lay person can master enough neurology to understand that the neuroscience underlying Brain Balance is completely sound. Failure to see adequate progress is always about poor parental compliance with all recommendations; and yes, they do, in fact, complete all the testing they describe in the book. That data is being compiled in a multi million dollar neuropsych facility for the benefit of all humankind. Good luck to you! Do your homework!!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 11,930 times
I have been on this journey for 8 years. My son was diagnosed with autism at age 3 and we first tried the natural path with homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements and a gluten/casein free diet. It didn't seem to help too much. We did try neurofeedback for a month and I swear to God...I had a 'normal' boy for 2 days. I would've continued with it, but we moved to a state that didn't have an autism waiver that paid for the expensive treatment. Then we begin the slippery slope of prescription meds. We tried Abilify, Risperdal, Depakote, Lithium, Clonidine, Zoloft and more. ALL had side effects and we had to stop taking them. He now on Depakote and Clonidine only...and I am looking forward to an alternative like Brain Balance to try since I had a little preview of the power of neurofeedback. What is so sad to me is going to Children's Hospital Psychiatric Unit...the best of the best...and all they do is say, "Let's try this one." to which I say..."We already tried it and he had severe tiques" or " We tried it and his vision got blurry and he was dizzy." So they say, "Let's try this..." like it's candy. I am not impressed with Western Medicine anymore. I'm grateful for the emergency treatments we receive here...but beyond that...it is pill pushing. I'll let you know if it works.

Last edited by edienale; 03-15-2010 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: forgot to put it "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or