Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 15,629 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a job in Atlanta. He will be working in the downtown area. We have a 4 year old with asthma and several allergies. I have several concerns I would like to discuss.

From some websites, I see that Atlanta air quality can be bad on some days. Even moderate air quality can affect asthmatics. And Ozone is known to cause permanent lung damage – therefore my concern. Also, I am not sure how good the school staff is on keeping kids indoors when air quality advisories are out.

We were thinking it might be better to live away from the city, where the air quality might be better. So we are resigned to a long commute. Excellent public schools, air quality and safe neighborhoods are a priority. North Fulton was one suggestion.

What are areas that will have better air quality?

What are some really good school districts? We are planning to send them to public schools, there for would like to relocate to subdivisions with excellent schools.

What are some good neighborhoods for buying a home? ( in good school districts)
What are home prices like in Atlanta and property taxes?

Are there any websites that monitor air quality?

I know these are very basic questions but I don't always believe everything I read on a website. I would like to verify information from knowledgeable people.
TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:03 AM

642 posts, read 2,218,705 times
While I'm not exactly able to answer your questions as I'm still about 6 weeks away from making the move, I did want to back up your concerns. Atlanta was in fact recently cited as the worst city in the country for those with asthma. That was of some concern to me as well due to the fact that my wife is mildly asthmatic. Too soon to tell for our 7 month old however.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
I'm don't know much about how Atlanta effects asthmatics but I can tell you it is one of the worst places for those with pollen allergies. I didn't really have allergies before I moved here, now I have really bad allergies. There is at least a two week period in the spring when I can't really breath.

Not sure if that helps but that is all I got.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:53 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,484 times
You can use these two sites to monitor Atlanta's air pollution.

http://www.air.dnr.state.ga.us/smogforecast/

http://www.gadnr.org/epd/air/amp/ (broken link)

Old 01-27-2007, 03:24 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,247 times
I'm not sure how the air pollution is in North Fulton, East Cobb or Fayette County, but they have great schools. I can't answer your question on whether or not schools keep kids in during high pollen/high air pollution days. Your best bet is to call the schools in the areas you are interested in and find out.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
I really hope you'll forgive this VERY blunt response....

But - if you really care about your child's health, and considering the condition(s) you've mentioned, Atlanta should not be on your list of places to relocate the child to just for a job.

The Spring/Summer pollen season can be miserable here even for people who DON'T suffer from such things as asthma. For a very young child with asthma as well as diagnosed allergies, it could prove very problematic. Some things are move valuable than income, so if your husband has ANY other options for relocation for the job, I'd consider a much less smog/pollen prone city than here for your child. Seriously.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I really hope you'll forgive this VERY blunt response....

But - if you really care about your child's health, and considering the condition(s) you've mentioned, Atlanta should not be on your list of places to relocate the child to just for a job.

The Spring/Summer pollen season can be miserable here even for people who DON'T suffer from such things as asthma. For a very young child with asthma as well as diagnosed allergies, it could prove very problematic. Some things are move valuable than income, so if your husband has ANY other options for relocation for the job, I'd consider a much less smog/pollen prone city than here for your child. Seriously.
Greg,
I appreciate your candor. Choice was between Miami or Atlanta. We picked Atlanta because it is safer, better schools and less expensive. Ufortunately I have been reading up and Atlanta is the #1 worst city for Asthmatics!
I am really surprised by this statistic especially since CDC that monitors nations health is based out of Atlanta.
In a perfect world, we would be able to pick and chose that perfect place to live. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to go where life takes us. Atleast temporarily.

That said, Do you have any recommendations for us? So far, Alpharetta was recommended by many. Although I am not sure if air quality is any better than Atlanta.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:44 PM

426 posts, read 2,321,830 times
I don't think Alpharetta has any better air quality than Atlanta does, as it is a bustling suburb with awful amoutns of traffic in spots during the traffic hour and on the weekends. I am sure, however, that many children live in the metro area with asthma and survive. Alpharetta has the best schools in the Metro area and there are affordable pockets where you can find a home. East Cobb and Fayette has great schools too as DoveDiva pointed out. Fayette is the cheapest out of those areas though. Fayetteville is is really pretty and parts still seem rural...that might be better for the air quality. It's much less conjested down there than it is in the northern suburbs.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I don't think Alpharetta has any better air quality than Atlanta does, as it is a bustling suburb with awful amoutns of traffic in spots during the traffic hour and on the weekends. I am sure, however, that many children live in the metro area with asthma and survive. Alpharetta has the best schools in the Metro area and there are affordable pockets where you can find a home. East Cobb and Fayette has great schools too as DoveDiva pointed out. Fayette is the cheapest out of those areas though. Fayetteville is is really pretty and parts still seem rural...that might be better for the air quality. It's much less conjested down there than it is in the northern suburbs.
Thanks for your input. I was hoping to hear from parents on this furum with children suffering from asthma. I would like to know how they are managing asthma and allergies and what challenges they face.

I will have to look into Fayetteville. Some one suggested Peachtree city - I think a lot of the Delta employees live there.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
While this may sound radical...

I once knew a man and woman and the wife had some pretty severe allergies, and the smog here made it very bad on her in the summer months. The husband worked downtown, and they were living in the Sandy Springs area when they first came here.

Their solution? They bought a house in the North Georgia mountains a few miles north of a town called Dahlonega (Duh-lawn-eh-gah), and then they rented a small studio apartment in the city. During the week he stayed in the apartment which was very close to his office, and on weekends he stayed up at the main house. In the winter when the air was cleaner, they would both sometimes stay in the apartment for a night so they could see the attractions in the city, etc. No, not ideal for couples or people with kids, but the air up there was a bit better than in the city and she had an easier time living there.

I'm just saying, if your ONLY choices are Miami or Atlanta, that doesn't leave you much. Learn Spanish and deal with hurricanes, or, put up with crime and tons of smog here with the health problems that goes with it. Having a house and apartment set up MIGHT be an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta