Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times

Advertisements

I think you should move to Sweet Auburn. I can't make a recommendation on the condo, not in this market. There are way too many condos for sale in Atlanta right now and the real estate market is just poor because of the economy. You might want to tread carefully there.

But, I encourage you to be an urban pioneer, race aside. Just remember you'd be living in a inner city neighborhood in the early stages of gentrification so there is more cause to be diligent in your safety practices. But, truly, even that isn't a terrible amount more diligence than I or George Chong must practice in our fully gentrified neighborhoods (which aren't far from Sweet Auburn).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:16 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
I say stay out of Sweet Auburn for buying a condo. Consider Midtown, Decatur, Inman Park, or Candler Park if you want to be nearby and have nice places.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 25,350 times
I also would like to live in Sweet Auburn because of its potential to become GSU's bar district due to to its proximity to campus. Heck, I would not even mind some bars in the bottom of Renissance as long as I am not over one!

Although we dont really have urban pioneers in Omaha, I wouldnt really consider myself one anyway. I like to live in up-and-coming areas, but Sweet Aurburn isnt terrible because I think itll become the bustling bar district for GSU students.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:52 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanItGeorgia View Post
I also would like to live in Sweet Auburn because of its potential to become GSU's bar district due to to its proximity to campus. Heck, I would not even mind some bars in the bottom of Renissance as long as I am not over one!

Although we dont really have urban pioneers in Omaha, I wouldnt really consider myself one anyway. I like to live in up-and-coming areas, but Sweet Aurburn isnt terrible because I think itll become the bustling bar district for GSU students.
What is always important is what is best for YOU, your objectives and lifestyle. You will do well here ... BTW, I like Omaha ... good Midwest, railroad, farming "big city" in Nebraska. Was there last week. Great people too.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanItGeorgia View Post

well you will have to keep us updated.Only time will tell who's right.I think you will like it fine.I also predict that even in this the return on your investment will be at least what you put in.Check out Rolling Bones BBQ on 2blocks over on Edgewood.There is also a new very nice Coffeeshop ,Dannemans Pub,and Circa restaurant.I have'nt been inside yet but they seem crowded with a diverse crowd whenever i have driven by.The row just opened.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,310 times
Default Welcome to Atlanta

I am Black woman that loves Sweet Auburn. I have notice there are a lot of White people and other races in the area. The area is safe but I would not walk around a night by myself. This goes for any metropolitian area. I suggested you learn the culture such as visiting the Martin Luther King Center, Apex Museum and soul food resturant. You would understand the culture in the area and learned a lot that the public schools did not teach. Martin Luther King preached that one day all races can live together. You have apportunity to do so. You are in the best area in Atlanta. I wish you good luck purchasing your home. You will make an good investment.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,926 times
Default i live at renaissance walk

i know this is an old post but i just came across it and thought i would comment on it since i live at renaissance walk. renaissance walk is beautiful community. i haven't regretted moving to this community. the residents are mostly young professionals and a few gsu students. these young professionals are black and white people, and their jobs run the gambit from grady doctors, cdc scientists, lawyers, to business owners, so far everyone is respectful and nice to each other. the residents are also involved in improving the neighborhood. we have active meetings with our councilman, atlanta police department, and other community stake holders. this is necessary because the neighborhood hasn't been very residental in past years so it's currently in a transitional state but its heading in the right direction. i feel completely safe in the building and atlanta police has cracked down big time on the loitering of the homeless on the street at night. there are security cameras everywhere, gated parking and there's a 24/7 conceirge service. unfortunately, no community is crime free. there is crime in buckhead, inman park, and midtown. all the residents of these communities (including sweet auburn) can do is be proactive in preventing crime which will either be successful or not, only time will time. as far as the retail spaces, there are a few businesses that will be on the street level such as the sweet auburn bistro (scheduled to open Oct 2008), Smoothie King (scheduled to open Oct 2008), and Quiznos. there are other businesses in leasing discussions with the developer. unfortunately, crescent moon filed for bankruptcy and their presence in the building looks doubtful but i'm sure there will be another restaurant to occupy the crescent moon location because of its proximity to GSU. also, the delay of retail spaces in the building has alot to do with the "building permit" process of Atlanta, not a fear of businesses to move into the building. i think anyone looking to live downtown in a new building with top notch amenities should consider renaissance walk. you will not be disappointed.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:07 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,159 times
If you are into architecture, have you considered renting for a year across the tracks at the Cabbagetown Mill lofts? These areas are adjacent so you could spend a year getting used to the area before you commit with a purchase. Plus, the mill lofts are oh so cool! - lots of restaurants nearby too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta