U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 23,031 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am moving from Savannah GA to Atlanta. My boyfriend is planning on attending GSU. I keep on looking for places to live nearby that are not on campus! A lot of people tell me that the area is really bad but i have no clue. Can someone tell me in which area i should be looking to find a reasonably priced but SAFE place. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 AM

699 posts, read 2,302,619 times
The area is not "bad" around GSU...though it is in the central business district of downtown, which means there aren't a lot of affordable housing options that I'm aware of. There are a few nicer, gated apartment communities a few blocks over around the Dome area, and in Midtown there are some affordable options. Have you checked into GSU housing? There is a huge GSU complex under construction on Piedmont Ave that will be finished soon.

The GSU campus area is scary to some people because it is very urban with lots of people walking around, not alll of the are students, and some try to sell you something or ask a question. Some people also label the area "bad", especially around 5 Points, because if you're white you aren't the majority...hopefully you're not one of those people. You simply need to use your head and take precautions like you would in any part of any large city. I have heard of students getting mugged on campus at night, but that's not a common problem. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,385,501 times
Maybe you need to come to Atlanta and see for yourself?

I've responded to several of your threads and have no more suggestions.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 AM

985 posts, read 5,218,514 times
Yep. Drive around and see each neighborhood. Savannah is only 3 and half hour away. Just remember, Atlanta is a big city. One should expect to pay a premium to live in a big city.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 AM

279 posts, read 337,189 times
the downtown/gsu area is a ghosttown after dark. There are thousands of beggers and crackheads wondering around looking for people to harass. Don't listen to the developers who say it is safe urban living.
I would live next to the subway line somewhere near lenox square, brookhaven, perimiter mall, sandy springs.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,919,258 times
If you want to be close, just pick an area, every area downtown is bad. I went to Tech, lived in home park, multiple car break ins. Moved next to GSU dorms, Centennial Place, apartment broken into twice. Friends lived off of North Ave near Peachtree, mugged.

I got mugged walking home from Bar in buckhead one night.

It's really luck if you don't get mugged or broken into living downtown, sorry it's the truth. Just check out http://www.apartmentratings.com if you dont believe me.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:41 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,732,609 times
Crime has really gone down with the redevelopment of downtown and midtown areas. Sure there are still problem spots but they are quickly disappearing. Anytime you live in a big city there will be crime. Car break ins are not uncommon in any big city but if you want to be close to the action that is something you have to deal with. Of course there are things you can do to protect your self. Buy a club or an alarm. Don't leave your purse or other valuables in plain view. Don't walk down dark streets alone (or at all). Etc. In the last few years we have seen several new buildings built, street scapes improved and an increased APD presence to make the city safer. With the redevelopment there is also much more action on the street after dark so it doesn't feel as desolate. I have many friends who live both downtown and in the surrounding areas and only a one has been a victim of crime.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,919,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Crime has really gone down with the redevelopment of downtown and midtown areas. Sure there are still problem spots but they are quickly disappearing. Anytime you live in a big city there will be crime. Car break ins are not uncommon in any big city but if you want to be close to the action that is something you have to deal with. Of course there are things you can do to protect your self. Buy a club or an alarm. Don't leave your purse or other valuables in plain view. Don't walk down dark streets alone (or at all). Etc. In the last few years we have seen several new buildings built, street scapes improved and an increased APD presence to make the city safer. With the redevelopment there is also much more action on the street after dark so it doesn't feel as desolate. I have many friends who live both downtown and in the surrounding areas and only a one has been a victim of crime.
Your friends are lucky....
You make this look better than it actually is, just b/c there's new buildings doesn't mean the criminals leave, if anything it attracts them more. More valuables to take. Just two weeks ago, Right next to Technology Square, across the street from the multiple new condo developments, new publix, cheetah. My buddy's car got broken into while he was doing research at school. Along with the other 20 cars sitting on the off street parking(whole street littered with glass from broken windows). This was right off Spring Street, the new 'affluent' area you describe. Only thing safe is anything that is gated AND MONITORED constantly.

Like I said before, it's a way of life downtown after 6pm.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:12 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,732,609 times
There has been an increase in car break ins within the last month and like I said this is the city, you have to expect some theft and do things to protect yourself. Fact is, it is no where near as bad as it used to be.

The very secure condo buildings which are entirely seperated from the street are actually worse for crime because they take people off the street. The ones with ground floor retail which we have only seen in the last few years are the ones which are going to turn the city around (it's now a city requirement). It's a process and Atlanta has a ways to go, but it is starting to turn the corner.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 AM

985 posts, read 5,218,514 times
When I was in school, North Avenue part was very dangerous. There was big housing project (where GSU dorm located now). A lot of beggers were near the train station. After one semester at east campus, I move the west side of campus, a lot more safer on that corner, although it is farther from the train station. Just before the olympic, the housing project was demolished. After coming back two years ago, I am amazed the number of high risers around midtown area that was not that before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or