Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,802,975 times

Advertisements

As someone has pointed out folks, as a FYI - someone started to reply to the OP's post from FOUR YEARS AGO, and the thread is now active (again).

I'm leaving it in case any other newcomers might get something out of the OP's observations then (pre-recession I might point out when viewing the job comments). However, for future reference, when replying to threads, make note of the posting dates in the upper corner of the posts so you are aware of how new or old the thread is.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,241,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarefootone View Post
Also there is a place (I believe it’s called 5-Points) in Atlanta with all these cool, funky vintage shops.
As others have mentioned, this area is called Little Five Points (sometimes abbreviated on this forum as L5P).

It's a major distinction that deserves to be emphasized.

Five Points is a completely different area, and doesn't have any of the things you are interested in.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 14,594 times
Hi everyone!!

This is a very usefull place for having perspective, we are moving from Erie PA to Alpharetta GA in few weeks, since my husband is being transfered there, we are hispanic who will be here only a couple of years (we are from Mexico), we love divertisity and we think it would be great for our 5 years old son to be able to ble close to other cultures, my question is in regards, which do you think would be the best place to live, my husband's office is in Alpharetta.

I have been looking for townhouses & appatments in rent.com so I initially revised those wich pics show nice place BUT when crossing the information with crime rates, all the places that I had liked turned to be wrong area.

We were recomended to look Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Rosswell but either these are huge areas because we found some of the worst safety rattings within these areas, so I woul reallly really apreciate if you could advice us regarding more specifi places to be, and those to definitely stay away, our criteria would be:
1. Safety
2. School

Thanks a lot for your input!!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 PM

7,576 posts, read 10,718,088 times
The northern areas of Atlanta are by far the nicest, so you are looking in the right general areas. I will let others fill you in on specific details.

I wouldn't give your husband along commute... with the good housing stock and schools nearby there is no need to put up with the hassle and stress.

What I will say...if it matters to you. You will probably find a stronger Hispanic population in the central area of western Gwinnett Co., which isn't too terribly far away, but I don't really know that it would be worth the extra drive for you either, since Alpharetta and it's surrounding area are really nice already with such a short commute.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM

well we will very happy to learn from other cultures so is ok if we are not just in the middle of hispanic population, any thoughst on specific areas? I have red some really scarry post (on the net) about violent crimes and drugs and stuff like that even in areas like Norcross (but from the gov web it said it was one of the safest), The Edge water at Sandy Springs & Lyon Fountains also at Sandy Springs, those complexes looked really nice on rent. com so... Im not sure what areas within Sandy Springs or Dunwoody would be ok to look for.... thanks!!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:28 PM

864 posts, read 1,120,091 times
OP moved all the way out to Cumming and complained about lack of things to do for young people. That makes no sense to me.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,303,046 times
bugra72, If you husband's work in Alpharetta, you can stay IN Alpharetta. Do you know which part of Alpharetta -- close to Northpoint mall, Windward Pkwy, ...?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM

13 posts, read 37,909 times
Happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised on at least 8 of your 10 concerns. If you are renting in Cumming, you may want to move a little closer to Atlanta when your current lease ends.... I've lived in the Virginia Highland / Little Five Points / East Atlanta area for years and I love it!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:48 AM

FROMGA, He will be at 11000 block (address changed by moderator - please do not post specific addresses for safety reasons) Great oaks way Alpharetta GA, any specific area reccomendation? Thanks!!

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-01-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,303,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugra72 View Post
FROMGA, He will be at Great oaks way Alpharetta GA, any specific area reccomendation? Thanks!!
The address is in the northpoint mall area.

There is a house + townhouse + apartment + office (mixed use style) complex just south of that address. I believe Amli is the apartment complex. I think townhouses are also pretty neat for rental purposes, but you have to look them up through a realtor/website. [Just checked Amli website. I think it is: AMLI at Milton Park].

That may be your closest option. There are several other apartment complexes within 3 miles of that address.

I live 8 miles away, so I dont know too many specifics about that area though.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-01-2011 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta