U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 10:08 AM
LLD LLD started this thread

654 posts, read 2,771,750 times

Advertisements

I started to pose this question in the commuter rail thread but didn't want to "derail" the topic. :-)

In some cities, especially ones that are very spread out like Atlanta, and "outer loop" is built -- like in Houston. I know that helped deal with the horrendous traffic their too.

Is there anything like this planned or being proposed for Atlanta? It would seem to me to be a step in a positive direction while the "rail wars" are still going on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 10:14 AM

27 posts, read 154,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
I started to pose this question in the commuter rail thread but didn't want to "derail" the topic. :-)

In some cities, especially ones that are very spread out like Atlanta, and "outer loop" is built -- like in Houston. I know that helped deal with the horrendous traffic their too.

Is there anything like this planned or being proposed for Atlanta? It would seem to me to be a step in a positive direction while the "rail wars" are still going on.
It has been discussed very extensively, possible routes, cost, etc. The road-building lobbies would love it. They want anything that adds more asphalt. Hopefully, the places where it would run through will keep it from happening. Adding an outer loop would be a great way to stop any impetus toward good-efficient mass transit. Having said that, it sounds exactly like something the Georgia legislature would do.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM

11,563 posts, read 17,491,775 times
I remember them discussing this, planning for it, etc, as far back as 15 years ago. I don't live in Atlanta anymore so I am out of "the loop" on the discussion as it were. Suprised that they haven't started anything yet. A wide arching loop outside the 285 loop - like Boston.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:31 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,713,884 times
You're talking about the Northern Arc.

I-485, sometimes referred to as "Sprawl Spreader".

Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,918,047 times
We already have 2. It's called Highway 92 and Highway 20, lol.

Not a loop but they did talk of a 'Northern Arc' but it got brushed under the rug. Lots of big wigs buying up lands around the proposed area help usher in ethic issues.

It might help for a while, but would just create more sprawl.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 PM

By the way, when someone here in Atlanta refers to the "Outer Loop" (as you will hear constantly on traffic reports), they are talking about the outside lanes of I-285, not the proposed and abandoned Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc plan.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
LLD LLD started this thread

654 posts, read 2,771,750 times
why can't there be both an outer loop and light rail and commuter rail etc? Why would it have to be either/or? Is is just politics and lobby associations? I"m finding it real hard to believe that there aren't at least a FEW visionary thinkers among Georgia's decision makers for the future -- I mean a 5 million plus metro area and only getting bigger.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
why can't there be both an outer loop and light rail and commuter rail etc?
It might be good to keep in mind, at least when talking to Georgians about this, that the Outer Loop refers to the outside lanes of I-285, the highway that encircles Atlanta (which is not even a true interstate in the usual sense). The outer loop here is not the same thing as an Outer Perimeter.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:12 PM

Maybe I'm on her ignore list.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:15 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,491,890 times
At first there were plans to build an outer perimeter located at a radius of 40-50 miles from the city center of Atlanta. The plan was eventually scaled back to building the northern portion, or the Northern Arc, which would have ran through Bartow, Cherokee, Forsyth, and Gwinnett counties. However, many local residents in those counties, as well as environmentalists opposed the measure and it was eventually killed. While I do agree that a Northern Arc would relieve pressure on the top end of the perimeter (I-285), it is also true that a lot of local governments would allow developers to run amok around the proposed interchanges, reproducing the shoddy looking sprawl that characterizes many suburban arterials throughout the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or