Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I think you're missing my point. I don't really care what people do with their money. What I find objectionable is you equating poverty with stupidity and gullibility.
Nope, I equate playing the lottery with stupidity and gullibility. I've said in at least one post that plenty of poor people don't play the lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
As proven by the fact that per student expenditures in the City of Atlanta and DeKalb Co school systems both exceed that of any private school in the area.
Hmm, here are a couple of link to per student expenditures in the area public school systems
Atlanta Parent Online

and the tuition fees at private schools
Atlanta Parent Online

All these numbers appear to be from 2007, so not perfectly up to date. Have APS and DeKalb expenditures zoomed past the fees at Lovett, Pace, Padeia, Westminster, etc., in the last year or so? That's pretty amazing.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Hmm, here are a couple of link to per student expenditures in the area public school systems
Atlanta Parent Online

and the tuition fees at private schools
Atlanta Parent Online

All these numbers appear to be from 2007, so not perfectly up to date. Have APS and DeKalb expenditures zoomed past the fees at Lovett, Pace, Padeia, Westminster, etc., in the last year or so? That's pretty amazing.
This was actually reported about two years ago...yes, I was amazed by that as well.
I'm guessing it's due to the layers of administration that the private schools aren't burdened with.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Nope, I equate playing the lottery with stupidity and gullibility. I've said in at least one post that plenty of poor people don't play the lottery.
And plenty of people who aren't poor play the lottery.

So, in your opinion, are we exploiting the poor or are we exploiting the stupid? I don't see how it can be both.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This was actually reported about two years ago...yes, I was amazed by that as well.
Reported where? I don't believe it.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM

Actually that's two separate assumptions. We as a culture place less value on education. And actually your second point supports my first one. Not only do we not put the money into education, we don't put the time and energy into it either. Thus supporting my first point. Most Americans are not involved enough in their children's education (or their lives, period, but that's an entirely different conversation). So no, it's not all about the money, but from my observations we have little interest in putting forth the money OR the time.

Certainly, I know that in general most Americans don't give a darn about children because I spent years working for legislation that would benefit children, only to see it go down in flames time and again. In fact, if we cared about children all these lotteries and whatnot would be unnecessary, we'd be willing to pay to fund education for ALL our children as simply a human right. Heck, we won't even fund a basic humanitarian function like healthcare for all children, so why would we feel any differently about education?

And here's the thing, in those other countries you've mentioned, they don't try to educate ALL their children. So really, comparisons are meaningless. If we followed their model, we would only be educating about a third of our children past a certain point. So, for our percentage of GDP to be about the same, is rather misleading. Our percentage of GDP should be higher because we're trying to do something totally different. Though, to my observation we're really not, but we certainly claim to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You make two false assumptions, in my opinion, the first being that Americans as a whole don't care about education, and the second being that money spent is an indicator of a successful education system, and that we don't spend enough.

On the first point, I think there are some Americans who place less value on education, because it was never a priority to them, but to say generally that "Americans don't care" is a giant leap. What is your proof that backs up that bold assertion?

On the second point, it has been shown time and again, in charter schools and other non-traditional schools that money spent isn't the be all, end all. Parental involvement, curriculum, student motivation, and teacher qualification play more important roles. The US states spend on average more in absolute dollars/pupil than Japan, Germany, the UK, and many other western countries. We spend right in line with these and other developed nations in percent of GDP spent on education (~5% to 6%). Maybe it's where the money goes and not how much is spent? Where do you think we don't spend enough, how much more would you spend, and where would you get that money?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:

Certainly, I know that in general most Americans don't give a darn about children because I spent years working for legislation that would benefit children, only to see it go down in flames time and again.
Maybe it wasn't them? Maybe it was your plan?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
And plenty of people who aren't poor play the lottery.

So, in your opinion, are we exploiting the poor or are we exploiting the stupid? I don't see how it can be both.
Nope, we're exploiting the stupid poor. Which, of course is not ALL the poor.

As for other groups playing the lottery, I think any number of studies indicate that the overwhelming majority of the people playing the lottery are poor.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe it wasn't them? Maybe it was you and your plan?
Actually, it wasn't my plan. It was Governor Bob Riley's plan. A plan which was even supported by such groups as the National Christian Coalition, The Wall Street Journal and all manner of other non-liberal groups. Keeping in mind of course, that Riley is conservative Republican. And even he was unable to convince the people that you have to pay for a decent education system. Of course, Americans are addicted to free labor and we've had generations of politicians who pander to that.

Other similar legislation went down in flames in other states, so it's clear that Americans really don't care.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Do you have something against crunchy, low-key people?
I don't understand the term "crunchy". That some sort of granola reference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta