U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 AM

7,681 posts, read 9,713,116 times
Default Free tutoring...but few show up

Cobb Schools provides free tutoring, using federal funding, to students as part of the NCLB requirements in schools that failed to make AYP. You would think this type of service would have a waiting list. Instead...it's hardly used.

This is an example of where throwing money at the problem isn't the answer, and where parents and students have to take some ownership of their success or failure. When someone puts out a helping hand, and you refuse to grab it, you miss the opportunity to succeed.

Marietta Daily Journal - Free tutoring attracts few students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:07 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,655,857 times
Funny no one replied to this thread. A good one at that. Very true, and sad. I worked in a school in a low income area, for a while in South Florida. Try getting the parents to either PTA meetings, meet your teacher night, etc. Good Luck on that!! I understand how hard it is for many single parent families, working parents, low income, but their simple duty to see what their child is doing, should not be considered a sacrifice, but an obligation. I dont know why I even bother calling it a sacrifice, but I had to tell some that their child's success will depend on three people, them, the teacher, and the child. Some parents were not working, but on public assistance, so they had time. Some were great, and you could see they were trying their hardest (and the results were evident in their children's progress), but some examples were sad. I know I should not be saying who should and should not have kids, but these parents, I will say they should not have had kids. Totally irresponsible. They want me to raise their kids on top of teaching them.
I know some will not believe me, but when we said there would be plenty of food and refreshments for the same events mentioned above, many came. Sad that we had to entice many with food to see what their kids were doing, or even get to know the teachers and administrators. It's a sad thing. I know. I spent a whole year, trying to have a conference with some students' parents with no success. The numbers the student gave me were either disconnected, or the person who picked up were not the parents or guardian. The ones that said they'd come to a conference never came. I asked the admin for someone to set up a home visit. Ah...Good Lord, it was like trying to pull teeth. Not to make it a political issue, but if some of those parents could have listened to what Obama said about parents turning off the TV, reading with their kids, they'd know he was talking about them. I know, a politician cannot make them better parents. Sad indeed. Money is not the solution. It helps fund some programs. With that money, they're better off giving it for vouchers for after care or something. Im sorry for ranting.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:40 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,450,554 times
A few potential reasons. However, I don't know anything about Cobb County, the logistics of the program, or the socioeconomics of the families most in need here, so if I'm talking out my a**, let me know.

1. The simplest reason, laziness or indifference
2. Transportation issues. Does this tutoring happen after school or on weekends? If these kids rely on the schoolbus for transportation, whose going to pick them up now if parents
a. don't have cars
b. can't afford the extra gas
c. are at work during the new time the child has to be picked up
3. Are these parents aware that their child is doing so badly? Also, are we talking about a situation where the kids are at least barely passing their classes but failing miserably on standardized tests, or are they failing in both aspects. For some families, as long as their kid is (barely) getting by is good enough.
4. How well are these services advertised? Do the parent's actually know about them?
5. To go along with the above post, I bet if you provided free snacks, the numbers would increase.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 PM

7,681 posts, read 9,713,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post

1. The simplest reason, laziness or indifference
2. Transportation issues. Does this tutoring happen after school or on weekends? If these kids rely on the schoolbus for transportation, whose going to pick them up now if parents
a. don't have cars
b. can't afford the extra gas
c. are at work during the new time the child has to be picked up
3. Are these parents aware that their child is doing so badly? Also, are we talking about a situation where the kids are at least barely passing their classes but failing miserably on standardized tests, or are they failing in both aspects. For some families, as long as their kid is (barely) getting by is good enough.
4. How well are these services advertised? Do the parent's actually know about them?
5. To go along with the above post, I bet if you provided free snacks, the numbers would increase.
Well I think the answer is "all of the above". This problem illustrates that no one, especially the government, can take responsibility for you or for ensuring your child's success. You have to be willing to make the time and the sacrifices. There is a lot of blame going around about the failure of schools to educate, some of it well deserved, but when they do provide students and parents with a helping hand, (at least in this case) few people use it.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 PM

5,128 posts, read 7,229,518 times
How about offering free snacks! That always works for meetings at work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta