Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Her rise is very interesting and she is an impressive woman in her own right but the inexperience....wow and one heartbeat, stroke, alzheimers away from president. So much for the focus on Obama's lack of experience. Alaska??? come on.
Well, you can't really bring inexperience to the argument..It is a bit hypocritical (IMO). On the flip side, Palin held a leadership role (governor) while Obama did not (senator).

I think that puts her in a slightly better position for taking on the role of president, should it be deemed necessary. Of course, neither Obama or Palin has foreign policy experience, but the "experts" we've had so far end up being much much worse!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Her rise is very interesting and she is an impressive woman in her own right but the inexperience....wow and one heartbeat, stroke, alzheimers away from president. So much for the focus on Obama's lack of experience. Alaska??? come on.
Broader experience would be desirable but if the 'Experience' is the kind HRC could have contributed I prefer these pairings.

Bill Clinton and George Bush were both 'more experienced' and I can't say that worked out very well.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,158 times
I am a Brit who votes Democrat in Atanta for transport issues but it no way will vote for Obama or the Democrats on a Presidential level. As long as Mcain is a little more centralist than Bush he is a safe choice for me.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
I am a Brit who votes Democrat in Atanta for transport issues but it no way will vote for Obama or the Democrats on a Presidential level. As long as Mcain is a little more centralist than Bush he is a safe choice for me.
"I am a Brit who votes...." seems contradictory. I guess you must actually be a US citizen of British origin?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:38 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Well, you can't really bring inexperience to the argument..It is a bit hypocritical (IMO). On the flip side, Palin held a leadership role (governor) while Obama did not (senator).

I think that puts her in a slightly better position for taking on the role of president, should it be deemed necessary. Of course, neither Obama or Palin has foreign policy experience, but the "experts" we've had so far end up being much much worse!

A self-styled hockey mom and political reformer, Pallin was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, population 6,500, until she became governor.

I think I'll pick Obama.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:49 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I thought it was great and the Convention was a lot of fun to watch. I don't believe he can get all that stuff done but if he is able to deliver 20% I will be happy. IMO, he is smart, pragmatic and reasonable enough to run this country. Additionally, his economic plan sounds good to me. I have no issue with letting the Bush tax cuts expire, and rescinding oil companies tax breaks. We could really use the extra 18 billion dollars.

So you don't care if politicians tell you things that they have no earthly way of doing or that you know can't be done, as long as they make you feel good when they tell you?

As far as the "extra 18 billion dollars" goes? Extra from whose standpoint? Do you think the money the government gets is manufactured at a money plant in DC and if there is some left over....it's "extra"? That money is earned by real people who have to fork it over to the government in the form of taxes. It's always easy to be generous with other people's money.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
As far as the "extra 18 billion dollars" goes? Extra from whose standpoint? Do you think the money the government gets is manufactured at a money plant in DC and if there is some left over....it's "extra"? That money is earned by real people who have to fork it over to the government in the form of taxes. It's always easy to be generous with other people's money.
Right! Bush has been extremely generous with our children's money. They're going to be paying off his administration's debt for their entire working lives.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,715 times
Quote:
So you don't care if politicians tell you things that they have no earthly way of doing or that you know can't be done, as long as they make you feel good when they tell you?
I never said this, just that I do not personally believe he can get everything accomplished. I am sure he hopes he can, and again I will be pleased if a percentage of that stuff is done.

Quote:
The 18 billion is the amount of subsidies the Oil companies get, they have record profits, they don't need the tax break. We as a country can use this money in addition to money from any corporate loopholes that are currently in place. I am well aware of what hard working people fork over to the government. We made too much to qualify for the stimulus refund, and are in a pretty high tax bracket.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Right! Bush has been extremely generous with our children's money. They're going to be paying off his administration's debt for their entire working lives.
If you understand the Constitution, the President has no power to spend or tax. That power is vested in Congress who create and pass budgets and appropriations.

For 80 years now, both parties have been irresponsible with our money. The problem has not been that we've taxed too little, it's that we've spent way too much. The supposed trust fund for Social Security has been raided by Congress since its inception in 1935. BTW...care to guess what party was in charge of Congress for almost 60 years (with a short break of 4 years) while that raiding was taking place? Multiple generations will have to pay through the nose and work longer because there is no trust fund, just a payroll tax to pay all of the ever increasing benefits of Soc Sec.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post

The 18 billion is the amount of subsidies the Oil companies get, they have record profits, they don't need the tax break. We as a country can use this money in addition to money from any corporate loopholes that are currently in place. I am well aware of what hard working people fork over to the government. We made too much to qualify for the stimulus refund, and are in a pretty high tax bracket.
I agree with you there, and didn't know that's what the figure represented. I was responding to the comment about the tax cuts expiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta