Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,419,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Same here, I've been to Macon and Columbus a couple of times, Valdosta, Athens, and Savannah once. I don't get why the rest of GA feel the way they do...then again Savannah should be a large metro but isn't and that tells me that the rest of GA loves small town life (not a slam).
$$$. Less money has been available for areas outside Atlanta. I've read some great discussions in this forum on economic growth in the state. Efforts have been made to transition away from an economy based on agriculture/manufacturing.

Go Here>>>

georgia.gov - Growing Georgia's Economy (http://gov.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,78006749_78013041_97935180,00.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:37 AM

21 posts, read 90,729 times
I have friends in Columbus and Edison and they love the small town feel of the Southern GA areas rather than the hustle and bustle of ATL.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM

115 posts, read 539,904 times
OK, People fom all nationalities who live in south georgia or south of atl. Can someone tell people who are debating about moving and don't want to move north of atl or north of georgia, why should they pick the southern parts of atl and georgia? People down south speak on that. Cause personally I'm coming back down south real soon just need some of the conviences that is offered where I am now.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:46 PM

23,364 posts, read 43,832,144 times
The whole of south GA is not as dismal as it is made out to be on this thread. It is true that on the whole the southern part of GA has been a rather low growth situation economically, but you have a couple of busy ports with relatively good economies in Savannah and Brunswick, and a few pockets of prosperity here and there...Moultrie, Valdosta and Thomasville are in the opinion of many to be pleasant places to live. The pace there is not what many urbanites are accustomed to, of course, but that many be a welcome relief to some.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 PM

115 posts, read 539,904 times
Anymore other good comments about down souf, lol?

Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 PM

242 posts, read 840,028 times
Where is the dividing line between north and south GA, anyway.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,419,427 times
There is also 'Central GA'--between Atlanta and Macon.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:26 PM

23,364 posts, read 43,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
Where is the dividing line between north and south GA, anyway.
I would say the 'Gnat Line', stretching from Columbus to Macon to Augusta. South GA covers a much larger area than North GA, of course.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 PM

269 posts, read 1,067,604 times
I love Thomasville. A very pretty town, reasonably prosperous, but it does get hot in the summer.

The extreme south is a different geological belt than most of south Georgia. Most of South Georgia is in a coastal plain that runs very roughly in a semicircle from North Carolina to Texas, and is one of my personal least favorite areas in the US. Atlanta and north is in the Piedmont, with higher elevation.

But the extreme south is an unusual area more like north Florida. I love that part of the country, especially north and central Florida.

Thomasville was a winter residence for extremely wealthy northern families in the early part of the century, and there are still a lot of old houses and plantations in the area.

For example, when he died in the 1980's, John Hay Whitney (at one time he was listed as one of the ten richest men in the world) owned a huge plantation there. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in his family. I visited there once -- at the time, the public was free to drive onto it -- and it was like a small town, with its own gas station and stuff.

It's not as grand today, but Thomasville has a lot of charm, IMHO.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:56 PM

606 posts, read 1,999,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
There is also 'Central GA'--between Atlanta and Macon.
Central GA includes much of the southern Atlanta metro. Basically anywhere south of I-20 and north of Columbus and Macon is considered Central Georgia. South of Columbus and Macon is South Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta