U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,514,272 times
Reputation: 3484

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasol View Post
Is there any part of Cobb county that is better than the others. Which is closer to the city? Which is closer to Ft. McPherson? Also is marietta nice? Someone told me that there is only one major road to get out of Marietta and that traffic is crazy. Is this true?
"Better" is a relative term. Some may think an area with newer and bigger houses is "better" while others may like an area with larger lot sizes and more of a rural feel. Marietta (East Cobb) is an older and affluent area with great schools. Marietta (West Cobb) is a bit newer and slightly less affluent with good schools. The City of Marietta has some nice areas and some really bad areas, as well as their own school system that ranks below the county system.

South Cobb (Smyrna, Vinings, Austell, Mableton) is closer to Atlanta with some nice areas, but generally has more crime and the schools range from OK to terrible.

There are many roads "out of Marietta" which comprises a very large area of Cobb County. Johnson Ferry, Roswell Rd, and Sandy Plains Rd are the main roads out of East Cobb, from the City of Marietta you have I-75, Cobb Pkwy, South Cobb Dr, and other roads. West Cobb has routes west, south, north, and east into the city of Marietta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
 
40 posts, read 150,238 times
Reputation: 23
Thanks Neil, that really helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2008, 05:54 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,801,972 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasol View Post
Is there any part of Cobb county that is better than the others. Which is closer to the city? Which is closer to Ft. McPherson? Also is marietta nice? Someone told me that there is only one major road to get out of Marietta and that traffic is crazy. Is this true?
Cobb County is miles from Fort MacPherson...and a nightmare of a commute in heavy traffic. I wouldn't with that on anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Kind of close, but not exactly. What you have to understand is that most of suburban Atlanta is located in unincorporated territory--meaning they are not located within any city limits, but will have a city address (this is a holdover from the old rural/farmland way of doing addresses). So, to help, people in different parts of Cobb County may have one of the following city addresses (depending on the zip code in which they live):

East Cobb: Marietta, Roswell, Kennesaw, Atlanta
West Cobb: Kennesaw, Marietta, Acworth, Powder Springs
North Cobb: Kennesaw, Acworth
South Cobb: Powder Springs, Austell, Smyrna, Mableton, Atlanta, Marietta


*But remember, some locations are within city limits (incorporated)! Confusing, yes.
A good summation, IMO. I'll attempt to help a little by providing a visual.

Yellow areas are incorporated. White areas are not.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Schools - Cobb County?-cobbcounty8.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2008, 05:15 AM
 
12,888 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4071
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
A good summation, IMO. I'll attempt to help a little by providing a visual.

Yellow areas are incorporated. White areas are not.

Oh yes...I remember this great map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM
 
Location: West Cobb (formerly Vinings)
3,615 posts, read 6,287,393 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
South Cobb (Smyrna, Vinings, Austell, Mableton) is closer to Atlanta with some nice areas, but generally has more crime and the schools range from OK to terrible.
Schools range from great (e.g. Teasley) to good (e.g. Kings Springs, Nickajack) to ok (Russel) to terrible (e.g. Belmont Hills). One thing to note is that the schools in East Cobb are getting worse, where many in the newly affluent parts of South Cobb (primarily East Mableton, Smyrna, and Vinings) are getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times
Reputation: 3587
Mine went to McEachern. I was very happy with the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
"Better" is a relative term. Some may think an area with newer and bigger houses is "better" while others may like an area with larger lot sizes and more of a rural feel. Marietta (East Cobb) is an older and affluent area with great schools. Marietta (West Cobb) is a bit newer and slightly less affluent with good schools. The City of Marietta has some nice areas and some really bad areas, as well as their own school system that ranks below the county system.

South Cobb (Smyrna, Vinings, Austell, Mableton) is closer to Atlanta with some nice areas, but generally has more crime and the schools range from OK to terrible.

There are many roads "out of Marietta" which comprises a very large area of Cobb County. Johnson Ferry, Roswell Rd, and Sandy Plains Rd are the main roads out of East Cobb, from the City of Marietta you have I-75, Cobb Pkwy, South Cobb Dr, and other roads. West Cobb has routes west, south, north, and east into the city of Marietta.
There are no "terrible" schools in Cobb. Some are better than others but even the lower performing schools in Cobb such as Campbell, Pebblebrook and South Cobb are better than average for the state and nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:14 PM
 
12,888 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4071
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Schools range from great (e.g. Teasley) to good (e.g. Kings Springs, Nickajack) to ok (Russel) to terrible (e.g. Belmont Hills). One thing to note is that the schools in East Cobb are getting worse, where many in the newly affluent parts of South Cobb (primarily East Mableton, Smyrna, and Vinings) are getting better.
South Cobb schools are getting better...!

But, East Cobb school aren't getting worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 PM
 
12,888 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4071
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are no "terrible" schools in Cobb. Some are better than others but even the lower performing schools in Cobb such as Campbell, Pebblebrook and South Cobb are better than average for the state and nation.

Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top