U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,644,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Oh and um - I think it goes without saying that the title of the thread probably has about half a dozen moderators watching this thing like FLIES now folks - so let's try to keep the discussion civil, or it'll most likely go POOF in the wind, ok?
Yeah, if the thread was labeled with 'White Trash' or 'Redneck' we wouldn't have to worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 AM

9,129 posts, read 21,695,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Yeah, if the thread was labeled with 'White Trash' or 'Redneck' we wouldn't have to worry.
Wrong (again)

Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,629,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get out of my way View Post
Downtown Marietta, Smyrna, Kennesaw, and housing along hwy 41.
I don't think it applies to any part of Smyrna south of Windy Hill ... except perhaps along South Cobb? And maybe the very northern part around Dobbins, though that's mainly guesswork on my part. Downtown Smyrna is nice these days (the Market Village, etc.).

Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,603,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I don't think it applies to any part of Smyrna south of Windy Hill ... except perhaps along South Cobb? And maybe the very northern part around Dobbins, though that's mainly guesswork on my part. Downtown Smyrna is nice these days (the Market Village, etc.).
I'd say the areas south of Concord/Spring are okay or nice, while the areas between Concord/Spring are okay or shady. North of Windy Hill, it's rough until you get close to the Marietta Square.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 AM

8,135 posts, read 7,455,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Hehe, thats easy, CLAYTON COUNTY!!! Just lost school accreditation, high crime rate (over 50 murders last year for a rate of about 18 per 100,000) and housing prices that are plummiting. Not to mention all of the section 8 housing that has sprouted up recently.
Its amazing to me how someone who only gets there info on T.V. without visiting a place,can say the whole county is ghetto.Most of Clayton county is not ghetto in the literal or traditional sense.Rex,Morrow and Jonesboro all have very appealing areas.The accreditation will cause a problem in the future,but who knows how much just yet.You have to remeber it really does'nt matter unless you have kids over 15.There are some good elementary schools.You should visit the Mount Zion,Lake Spivey,Jodeco,Bethesda Rd and Stagecoach areas.Those people with their nice homes and communities will beg to differ with you.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:04 PM

831 posts, read 1,790,499 times
Umm... Afonega1, I used to go through Clayton on a daily basis for work. Used to shop there, get gas there, eat at restaurants there, ect... When I would go down Highway 85 through Riverdale on the way back from work, there was not a night that I did not see 5 or 6 police cars having pulled someone over and the officers with their guns drawn, so YES, I do know what I am talking about and don't base my comments off of TV!!!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 AM

156 posts, read 277,971 times
Atlantic Station has been steadily heading downhill for a while. I've never lived in an apartment complex where the residents care so little about their environment and are so disrespectful to others. Garbage left all over, constant screaming late at night outside, car break-ins, etc. The retail area is ok during the day, but at night and on the weekends it's completely ghetto. The level of uneducated and classless people that place draws is amazing.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Umm... Afonega1, I used to go through Clayton on a daily basis for work. Used to shop there, get gas there, eat at restaurants there, ect... When I would go down Highway 85 through Riverdale on the way back from work, there was not a night that I did not see 5 or 6 police cars having pulled someone over and the officers with their guns drawn, so YES, I do know what I am talking about and don't base my comments off of TV!!!!!
So all the places in mentioned are Ghetto?Did yo drive from Lovejoy to Rex toJodeco-Spivey to Morrow everyday.Atlanta used to have less than 1million people,there used to be no cars,Atlanta used to be number 1 in crime.Things change some do not.My parents moved back to Warner Robins but they have a home in Rex/Fairview area near Stagecoach RD.Its been there for 15 years now.The neighborhood is still quiet,nice manicured lawns,next to new shopping areas.No, the property value has not risen drastically but it has not dropped either.And the area is as nice as any in Alpharetta,Fayetteville,or Dunwoody.I have rarely seen anything like what you have mentioned in any of those areas that i mention in my last post.That area you mentioned in Riverdale is notorious for such incidents.Most peolple in Clayton are hard working professionals who unfortunately have some thugs who are able to fit in.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM

831 posts, read 1,790,499 times
I'm not saying that every place in Clayton is that way, but a good amount of it is. I have been to Lovejoy many times and some parts of it are ok, others are hit and miss. I don't doubt that there are other pockets of the county that are ok as well, but quite a few places in the county have gone south quite fast....Forest Park, College Park (along Riverdale Road) Morrow near the mall, Riverdale, parts of northern Jonesboro, Pointe South, ect.... With the loss of accreditation, home prices are more than likely going to suffer as well. I had several co-workers who lived in Clayton for 10+ years who complained about how their once peaceful neighborhoods were now having the sounds of gunshots on a nightly basis. Others mentions the dozen or so aparment complex's that had $100 dollars moves you in on the front.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that every place in Clayton is that way, but a good amount of it is. I have been to Lovejoy many times and some parts of it are ok, others are hit and miss. I don't doubt that there are other pockets of the county that are ok as well, but quite a few places in the county have gone south quite fast....Forest Park, College Park (along Riverdale Road) Morrow near the mall, Riverdale, parts of northern Jonesboro, Pointe South, ect.... With the loss of accreditation, home prices are more than likely going to suffer as well. I had several co-workers who lived in Clayton for 10+ years who complained about how their once peaceful neighborhoods were now having the sounds of gunshots on a nightly basis. Others mentions the dozen or so aparment complex's that had $100 dollars moves you in on the front.
Quote:
With the loss of accreditation, home prices are more than likely going to suffer as well.
Well I agree with you on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta