U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2008, 04:36 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,583,937 times

Advertisements

What are the next ghettos of metro Atlanta. They don't have to become literal ghettos, but they do have to see some type of economic, racial, social, or cultural change.

Based on trends, what are they, in your opinion?

I'm sure that we can all say that there's more than a few, so let's hear them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 06:46 PM

830 posts, read 1,774,861 times
Hehe, thats easy, CLAYTON COUNTY!!! Just lost school accreditation, high crime rate (over 50 murders last year for a rate of about 18 per 100,000) and housing prices that are plummiting. Not to mention all of the section 8 housing that has sprouted up recently.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Hehe, thats easy, CLAYTON COUNTY!!! Just lost school accreditation, high crime rate (over 50 murders last year for a rate of about 18 per 100,000) and housing prices that are plummiting. Not to mention all of the section 8 housing that has sprouted up recently.
Yes, Clayton County is a good candidate, but couldn't about half of the county already be considered "ghetto"?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 AM

1,635 posts, read 3,613,006 times
I consider several parts of Cobb to have a high population of 'Ghetto' - like people.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,547,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I consider several parts of Cobb to have a high population of 'Ghetto' - like people.
Where?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 21,497,182 times
I don't think in metro Atlanta that you can categorize an entire neighborhood as bad any longer - stuff is spread out here now and it's in pockets. You can go through a very bad area and POOF - you're in a section of million dollar homes, only to be back in a crack neighborhood six blocks later... even in the burbs.

When the city started tearing down the housing projects, various programs and vouchers started allowing folks to move wherever they wanted (as in, the burbs), so you no longer have nearly as many concentrated "bad" areas as before. You might have the crack mom with 6 teen gang members who moves into the nice West Cobb neighborhood, and a mile away another similar situation, etc. No more "stay out of this neighborhood" situations. It's more of a case of individual families coming in to a small neighborhood who half ruin it, but then at some point they get kicked out and are replaced by a good family, so that same area cleans up again. Or maybe not. It's really an up and down thing these days.

Stone Mountain and Norcross were once in the early 80s when I moved here considered to be *extremely* desireable areas to live in. Now they're halfway considered to be slums. Ten years from now they MIGHT be desireable again. West Cobb in some areas has taken a downward spiral, but in some of those, local police action are driving out the bad apples, too.

Atlanta is with few exceptions, impossible to predict what area will go bad, and what bad areas will turn good. You just have to take a gamble unless you want to shell out a couple of million dollars on West Paces or in North Alpharetta for a place.

http://bestsmileys.com/anxious/4.gif (broken link) Oh and um - I think it goes without saying that the title of the thread probably has about half a dozen moderators watching this thing like FLIES now folks - so let's try to keep the discussion civil, or it'll most likely go POOF in the wind, ok? http://bestsmileys.com/anxious/4.gif (broken link)

Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM

44 posts, read 112,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Quote:
Where?
Downtown Marietta, Smyrna, Kennesaw, and housing along hwy 41.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:03 PM

1,635 posts, read 3,613,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get out of my way View Post
Downtown Marietta, Smyrna, Kennesaw, and housing along hwy 41.

Yep, parts of Kennesaw and parts of Acworth, as for Marietta it's almost anything along 41 and a few areas outside the square. I happen to live in one of the areas in Acworth, I'm getting out soon.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Yep, parts of Kennesaw and parts of Acworth, as for Marietta it's almost anything along 41 and a few areas outside the square. I happen to live in one of the areas in Acworth, I'm getting out soon.
The area of Acworth east of US 41 and west of I-75 has "gone down" quick, that's for sure. It's getting worse in the same vicinity of Kennesaw, too.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM

44 posts, read 112,669 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
The area of Acworth east of US 41 and west of I-75 has "gone down" quick, that's for sure. It's getting worse in the same vicinity of Kennesaw, too.
Acworth, too? That's too bad I moved out of Acworth 6 years ago, but I lived in the suburbs. I knew that there were some rough looking areas in town, but I only drove through them once and never came in contact with them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta