U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:48 PM

52 posts, read 173,939 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Cove? It's been years since I was in Atlanta and I've told many stories about the place to my partner, but I can't remember where it was. I love to drive by the old place-or where the old place was.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 PM

321 posts, read 747,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artdeptheather View Post
Does anyone remember the Cove? It's been years since I was in Atlanta and I've told many stories about the place to my partner, but I can't remember where it was. I love to drive by the old place-or where the old place was.
Thanks.
The "Cove" was a all-night (24hr) establishment off Monroe Drive and "Dutch Valley Road" ... if going south on Monroe it was before you came to Amsterdam Road (on the right side, where the water treatment plant now exists).

I had just moved here ... lived in a small apartment off Monroe and purchashing a home nearby (off Courtney Road, Atlanta 30306).

I used to walk down to "The Cove" sometimes after work since I didn't know anyone ... until I realized there were a great deal of drug-trafficking going on also I got mugged TWICE within 6mo (on Monroe drive, then in Piedmont Park at 0300pm on a Sunday afternoon) so I never went back.

It was that era when the City of Atlanta was granted 24hr liquor licenses to establishments. I don't believe there are any left.

It was a WILD place with a smorgasbord of people in there!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,471 times
Cool Rmemebering the Cove Atlanta Georgia

I remember the Cove aka, the Cave. Gosh I had some off the funnest times during my party days living the 80's too the fullest, I remember after the earlier bars would close the die hards would line up sometimes all the way too Monroe Dr. but it was worth the wait too gain entrance too the danceing/crusing/boozing etc. place that sometime reiked off a toilet but you didnt care or maybe I was just fried dyed and layed too the side enough. Gosh the music was just fabulous you could dance till dawn and even later if you choose. I always said that someone could have made a fortune selling sun glasses at the Cove lol! I even saw Sir Elton John coving it a few times, For those off you who never got too experience the Cove or for that matter the lovely 80's well what can I say! you simply just missed out. Ain't life grand. Greg I know you remember the cove darling.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 PM

19,789 posts, read 8,060,019 times
Oh good Lord, you did not mention The Cove.

I was there twice.

The first time, I was absolutely looped. I rode in the backseat of a convertible Mercedes roadster. What you say? Convertible Mercedes roadster's don't have backseats? You are absolutely correct! Remember, I told you I was looped. (Not to mention obviously much younger and more agile )

The second time I was the designated driver so I was sober. I was so shocked that what I remembered The Cove to be was nothing like I was seeing through sober eyes. I never went back.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,443,996 times
Thanks for enlightening us on what "The Cove" was....
when the OP asked about "The Cove", I was under the impression it was some swimming hole on the Chattahoochee.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 21,481,237 times
I was in college and some of us went sulking around town one night with a couple of kids who had grown up in the area.

They took us to the Cove. Things we noticed:

1) Surprising lack of women in the bar.

2) The three women we saw had Adam's Apples.

3) Lots of men in their late 40s and 50s, sitting next to lots of men in their early 20s.

then...

4) Tina Turner walked in, only Tina Turner also had an Adam's Apple and was 6'2" with a deep voice.

Ahhhhh yes, those were the days. When your "friends" would tell you about this happenin' place, then take you in a gay hustler/pimp/trannie pickup bar and then when you (quickly) went to the bathroom, you come out to find that they disappeared and left you there.

I miss those days - NOT.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:27 PM

128 posts, read 215,562 times
Better than Backstreet?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,102 times
Oh I remember the Cove very fondly, from my days of burning the candle at both ends and in the middle. Well there was plenty of women after 5 am, usually the Street Works coming in after along night. With Cash in hand and a great amount of fun. Vodka shots, Poppers in a menthol cigarette. And being a man, always loved to be ask to take a trip to the ladies room, which was code for a hit of something a bit more stiff, because the back of the toilets where clean. But the most interesting was the night I left, to find the Atlanta SWAT team trying to decide if they where going to risk raiding the place. It was that rough and wild. But was never mugged or robbed or anything, was just one fantastic place. Miss those days dearly some time. Youth!!!!! Wasted on the Young!!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,924 times
Default Oh my, the Cove...

I was a young, naive college girl hitting the gay bar scenes with my friends in the late '80's/'90's. The Cove was the place we went to when everything else shut down, and you are right, someone could have made a killing selling sunglasses outside the exit. A few times I remember stumbling out of there, just in time to see church goers on their way to their destinations. Slightly mortifying and amusing at the same time.
There was outdoor seating or a patio of some sort, I believe. The skankiest bathrooms ever on the planet.
You could dance, drink and dance some more. You could dance until you were done- and the music was always perfect, or maybe the distorted senses made it seem that way.
The drag queens would compliment me on my sequined dresses. It was the first time I ever heard the word "flawless' used in a sentence. Ha!
I was once even thrown out of The Cove, believe it or not. Two friends had shared the same i.d.to get in, and the bouncers were not wasted like us. We were inside but a few minutes when they rounded us up and told us never to come back.
Ahhh, good times... Thank God I survived them.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,473 times
Default The Cove on Monroe Drive

The Cove was a hoot. There was the outside seating that was freezing cold. The interior was dark. I remember that there was a cowboy night that was kind of weird to watch. At the rear there was a large parking lot where people circled their cars to meet other people. One of the last things I recall was watching the "Groove is in the Heart" music video followed by Pee Wee's Playhouse. The Cove did not close, so if you were a die hard you could watch Saturday morning cartoons while you tried to sober up. Seems like there were a lot of trannies - and I miss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta