Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 PM

126 posts, read 579,352 times

Advertisements

There is certainly culture and nightlife in the Atlanta area. However, on so many other levels, it is NOT comparable to SoCal. People are completely different in Georgia - and in my opinion in a GOOD WAY. I'm a native Californian who moved to Atlanta in 1996. In 2003, I moved back to California and I am now in the process of selling my home and business and coming back to Georgia. Having grown up in California was not enough. I miss Georgia and the people. I can't wait to move "home". The ocean, the giant trees, the bright blue skies and colorful sunsets - all fine and good. But the people. The people are what I miss and no amount of natural beauty can replace them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 05:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Default 'GA on my Mind'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhen View Post
There is certainly culture and nightlife in the Atlanta area. However, on so many other levels, it is NOT comparable to SoCal. People are completely different in Georgia - and in my opinion in a GOOD WAY. I'm a native Californian who moved to Atlanta in 1996. In 2003, I moved back to California and I am now in the process of selling my home and business and coming back to Georgia. Having grown up in California was not enough. I miss Georgia and the people. I can't wait to move "home". The ocean, the giant trees, the bright blue skies and colorful sunsets - all fine and good. But the people. The people are what I miss and no amount of natural beauty can replace them.
I really hope to tour CA more thoroughly--complex and beautiful state. I know I could not live there permanently--my roots go deep into the red clay of GA.

Last summer--fed up with the heat and the traffic I drove north. Ended up at Red Top Mt. State Park. Pristinely beautiful--forest, river, lake and serene.

To see the 'Blue Haze' on the Blue Ridge Mts. Or to watch the sun set into the Atlantic from Tybee or St Simons. It's not All/Everything--but Enough.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:27 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,267 times
I have been to the L.A. area before. I am from the northeast. In general, the Atlanta area is closer to a northeastern city in terms of feel than it is to L.A. However, Gwinnett county, especially as it keeps developing, would surely fit in, in the Eastern L.A. metro area. I don't see how people could object to this. Other than that Atlanta is a hollowed-out version of Philadelphia surrounded by the Dallas suburbs with trees and hills.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I have been to the L.A. area before. I am from the northeast. In general, the Atlanta area is closer to a northeastern city in terms of feel than it is to L.A. However, Gwinnett county, especially as it keeps developing, would surely fit in, in the Eastern L.A. metro area. I don't see how people could object to this. Other than that Atlanta is a hollowed-out version of Philadelphia surrounded by the Dallas suburbs with trees and hills.

Most hours of the day, Gwinnett County is a parking lot, isn't it?

Oh memories of sitting in my vehicle on Hwy 78 at 124, attempting to get to my best friend's house in Grayson or heaven forbid, to Target. May as well turn right and stop for ice cream at Bruster's if you're not going to be able to go North anyway... LOL

Old 02-03-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I really hope to tour CA more thoroughly--complex and beautiful state. I know I could not live there permanently--my roots go deep into the red clay of GA.

Last summer--fed up with the heat and the traffic I drove north. Ended up at Red Top Mt. State Park. Pristinely beautiful--forest, river, lake and serene.

To see the 'Blue Haze' on the Blue Ridge Mts. Or to watch the sun set into the Atlantic from Tybee or St Simons. It's not All/Everything--but Enough.
Do you remember that GA Power commercial a few years ago that showed different parts of the state (I think while playing Georgia on my Mind?) I used to tear up every time it came on. I miss Georgia so much. And springtime is my favorite time of year there. Wisteria, dogwood blossoms and so much beauty. And then the horrible yellow pollen from the pine trees, but a car wash will take care of that

Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Default Dogwoods/Spring

Quote:
Do you remember that GA Power commercial a few years ago that showed different parts of the state (I think while playing Georgia on my Mind?) I used to tear up every time it came on. I miss Georgia so much. And springtime is my favorite time of year there. Wisteria, dogwood blossoms and so much beauty. And then the horrible yellow pollen from the pine trees, but a car wash will take care of that
I don't complain much any more about the pollen--too many trees lost in the rush to pave/develop the entire area. ;(

Here's a few pics of Atlanta/Spring--Piedmont Park is so pretty. I take my dog there. My parents took me there. A miracle it is still standing?>>>
http://travel.webshots.com/album/554317889vvyGoE

I lived on Johnny Mercer Blvd in Savannah --for a few years. Lots of creative people there. I have never seen bigger full moons than I saw there--that is something--looking at a huge yellow moon over the marshes.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:34 AM

85 posts, read 505,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
. Mission Bay is a natural bay, and there's a complete ring of bike/walking trails all the way around it.
Just FYI, Mission Bay is not a natural bay. It was created in the 60's out what was basically marsh/swapland. The mud was dreged and made the various "ilands" like Fiesta Island. Even San Diego bay was dreged heavily, mostly by the navy so ships could navigate it. In its natural state, it was acually quite shallow and mostly not navigable. Not everything in CA is real--remember it is the land of holywood, lots of stuff was created out of illusion. And there are basically no natural lakes and very few rivers in S. Cal.

You mention Lake Windward. Yep, it's man made, but pretty nice IMO. BTW just down Webb Bridge (which has a sidewalk and bike lane, FYI) there is the Big Creek Greenway, a nice shaded walking/jogging/bike path alond creek. Lots of people on it, you just can't see it from the road so driving around you might say no one walks or exercises which is not the case. Also check out the Silver Comet Trail.

I'm from San Diego and live there now, but lived in GA for two years. There isn't much about Atlanta similar to CA so your realtor sold you a bill of goods. But there are lot of things great about ATL. Heck, I might move back someday when I tire again of the prices here!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:27 AM

465 posts, read 2,426,330 times
Quote:
And another car wash, and another, and another.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:51 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
And another car wash, and another, and another.
THAT'S what "ridin' dirty" means!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:11 PM

5 posts, read 17,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKopka View Post
I recently moved to Atlanta (Kennesaw) from Newport Beach, CA. I was under the impression from my realtor that the Atlanta Area is very similar to Southern California. Thus far, I have not found her claim to be true (unless her idea of Southern California is the IE). Anyone else recently transplanted from SoCal that can help me find some fun spots to hang out? Thanks. Chris Kopka.
Hi Chris -

I'm moving to Cobb County in two months (from OC) so I found the Inland Empire comment pretty funny. I am gonna assume your realtor is just comparing LA to Downtown Atlanta...she has obviously not been to Newport, haha My husband and I live in Huntington Let me know if you find any good places to hang out! I hear the Vinings is a cool area but not sure if they just meant nice houses?!?!

Good luck in your search.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta