U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:15 PM

1,756 posts, read 4,923,487 times

Advertisements

My fiance's brother lives in San Diego, step-mom is from la-hoya, my good friend from high school lives in LA (venice). I wouldn't even know where to start to compare either one of those to Kennesaw much less the rest of GA.

If you're looking for NightLife, go to cowboys on Lady's Night, it's either Wed or Thurs night. Yes it's a country bar, but not like it use to be nor as you're imagining it.

For regular nightlife you're going to have to try Midtown(mainly club music), Virginia Highlands(mainly pubs/bars), Buckhead(mix of midtown/va highlands). Smyrna village has a small night life atmosphere but the majority is split up downtown and the are depends on your taste.

If you're in K-town, Barnacles on Barrett Parkway near Walmart become a club at night. Not really my taste but alot of younger(young and Kennesaw college) people go there on Fridays and Saturday nights.

I would consider Midtown as the closest comparison to what I know about Cali bars and clubs. It's more dressy(black pants, nice shoes, expensive shirt) and more $9 beer nights(so expensive), more neon/light mood setting, contemporary design, club music.

VA is more English pubs, jeans and decent shirt. Less music more social setting.

Buckhead has mix of these two, just 10 years ago this way the place to go, but the clubs/bars are a little more spread out than they use to be. Use to be similar to a Bourbon Street theme but then the local citizens began complaining after the 'thugs' stepped in.

Try SideLines off of Barrett on Wed or Thurs for keroekee(spelling?), and Baileys off of Barrett near AMC on a Frid or Sat night.

Lastly there's Old Towne Grill off 41 in Kennesaw for sports and Diamond Daves next door is the late night place in K-town, most people go there late. It can be fun but again not my regular cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 08:42 PM

137 posts, read 658,191 times
We moved from San Diego and love it here. My husband is a surfer (and that is a big problem), but other than the lack of waves, we've enjoyed it! We live in Peachtree City and aren't looking for "night life." We found a wonderful recreational, outdoorsy, family friendly area. I guess it might depend on what you are looking for! The only thing I miss, personally, is having a Trader Joe's close by (for now we have to drive to the northside). I hope you find your experience better soon. What type of things do you miss exactly?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
Default Newport and Kennesaw?

I recently moved to Cartersville from Aliso Viejo and I haven't found anything remotely related to SoCal here. I must say, however, that I am very happy I made the move. The country is amazing and the people are warm and friendly. Not to mention what another respondent mentioned, your CA money goes a long way here. I love it. For CA culture, I make regular trips back to the OC. In fact, I just bought my annual tix for the Pageant of the Masters this year!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,625,160 times
Ouch, not to beat a dead horse, but, yeah not really alot like SoCal at all unless you consider the sprawl comparison and necessity of owning a car. I will tell you that Kennesaw is NOT the place for you. My recommendations, in terms of nightlife and cooler, young atmosphere would be the following areas - Virginia-Highlands, Midtown, MAYBE Smyrna/Vinings, perhaps E. Atlanta and Buckhead. I have three good friends who spent a lot of time in SoCal and eventually moved back - if you are single, you will find it WAY easier with women here (ie, $$$ is not as big a deciding factor) and, generally, it's easier to make legit friends (ie, no one really has an angle or is trying to see what you can do for them). Kennesaw is NOT the place though...way too country and red based on what you want. Atlanta can be a really cool, fun place, but you need a different area of town is all. The one positive will be anything in-town will look really cool when compared to Kennesaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta