U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Georgia: best city, fed ex, traffic, job market, safe areas.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:57 PM

162 posts, read 466,768 times

Advertisements

1. Mariettta
  2. Woodstock
  3. Powder Springs
  4. Stone Mountain
  5. Dacula
  6. Snellville
  7. Flowery Branch
  8. Lawrenceville
  9. Douglasville
Sorry for the long list but we are relocating from Miami, FL and found some nice houses in these areas but we don't have much info on crime shopping etc. What neighboorhood is safe and close to shopping and parks. I husband works for Fed EX and can relocate to any station in GA but I want to narrow our search. We will be traveling to GA in a weeks so any input will help.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 03:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,388,045 times
Smile Welcome

You have some good choices and I believe you can find a good quality of life in metro Atlanta.

It will probably come down to how much you wish to spend for a home, schools and the type of community you prefer. The shopping is plentiful and convenient all over Atlanta and the areas you named are not high crime areas. IMO, metro Atlanta LE is doing pretty well on cracking down on crime and criminals.

The traffic is another matter. God Bless your DH if he will be driving all day/every day in this traffic--he will want a very peaceful retreat when he is not working, jmo.

--Marietta, Woodstock, Powder Springs are located in the NW quadrant
There are several posters here who can give you good FYI on those areas.

--Stone Mt, Snellville are NE--DeKalb/Gwinnett --headed to Athens--home of UGA/University of GA

--Lawrenceville, Flowery Branch, Dacula are NE/Gwinnett--closer to the NW area

--Douglasville is West of Atlanta

The area that is more familiar to me is Lawrenceville, Flowery Branch, Dacula --but it is growing/changing and I would have to really spend some time in each area to be able to choose.

Because of the horrific traffic---after reading some excellent posts from those who live north of the city and travel around--I would want to look at the area that is west of Lawrenceville but not Alpharetta or Marietta. That may be Forsyth County--Johns Creek and other neighboring communities. Peachtree Industrial Blvd runs from Chamblee north--???I guess all the way to the Tennessee line???--(it is Peachtree St from the heart of the City to Chamblee--our most famous road). From Peachtree Industrial you can get to other parts of the city with fewer problems. That would be a major consideration for me.

Also--Peachtree Industrial is close to the Chattahoochee River--and there are some lovely state parks along this corridor. When the traffic heats up the city in the summer--it is nice to find a cool, green place with some water and the Chattahoochee runs clear and cold. You can go further North and enjoy the Appalachian Trail--starts in the foothills of GA/Blue Ridge Mts. A very different culture from Miami--fun to explore. You might like to visit Roswell, GA--very lovely community, closer to Marietta than other places on your list. They have a good history center that focuses on the Southern heritage. The Atlanta History Center has some incredible exhibits--located near the Governor's mansion in Buckhead. Lots to see and do around here.

sls

ETA:
Just Googled a map of Ptree Ind Blvd---it runs toward Suwanee, Buford, Flowery Branch--> North.

Here>>>
http://tinyurl.com/yvlfmm (broken link)

So--I think Flowery Branch-which is close to Lake Lanier --toward Gainesville might be a good area. The area is really just exploding--new homes/shopping centers/schools all over the place.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 02-03-2007 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Flowery Branch

Old 02-03-2007, 12:15 PM

162 posts, read 466,768 times
Thanks for all that information. I do worry about him driving in the Atlanta area after hearing how bad traffic is. It really all depends on the route he gets but we do want a nice quite area to live.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:35 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,388,045 times
Default Live near work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox011 View Post
Thanks for all that information. I do worry about him driving in the Atlanta area after hearing how bad traffic is. It really all depends on the route he gets but we do want a nice quite area to live.
When will you know which route your DH will be assigned? The traffic is worse when you try to go across town.

It would be cruel and unusual punishment for your family if the DH has a route in Douglasville and your home is in the NE/NW.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:53 PM

563 posts, read 2,506,129 times
I can only give you info on 2 areas: Powder Springs and D'Ville.

Powder Springs: Pros: Nice area, decent schools, for the most part nice people.
Cons: There seems to be this 'gang' thing that is rampant here. (I work in PS, and I teach, so I hear it first hand from the kids and see it) No matter what part of PS (Cobb County portion) that you are in, there seems to be a gang problem. Both middle schools (Tapp and Lovinggood) and high schools (McEachern and Hillgrove) are having issues with gang activity--and it transcends racial lines.

The Paulding side of Powder Springs seems to have less of the problems that the Cobb side does. I think that's because it's much more rural than the Cobb side, in my opinion.

Overall, in comparison to Miami--Powder Springs is a walk in the park. I'm originally from Miami, and my family still lives there, so I know how it's just crazy back home!

Shopping: They recently opened this outdoor shopping area--basically the same stores you can find in the mall, but in an outdoor setting. Nothing to write home about. If you live in PS, you'll find yourself heading to Hiram and/or D'Ville to do your shopping.

Douglasville: Pros: family oriented, real friendly people, affordable cost of living in comparison to Cobb, still have a bit of small town feel (but with city amenities), I-20 runs straight through the city so you are close to the interstate, a nice, rather large mall is in the city, quite a few parks (including Sweetwater Creek State Park), relatively safe. Not much happens out here in comparison to other parts of the metro.

Cons: The city is currently widening a few major thoroughfares--so traffic can be dicey at times. Rush Hour Traffic headed into the city of Atlanta is crazy--so many people are moving out here. The schools are just, ok. They are definitely in the middle of the pack when comparing all the metro area school districts. However, there ARE some great schools out here, Alexander HS and Chapel Hill HS are pretty good, as well as the schools that feed into them.

Shopping: Most of the major chains are out here. We have a few upscale chains as well. There are also some great mom and pop stores here too. Like I stated before, Arbor Place Mall is out here also.

Basically, D'Ville is another walk in the park in comparison to Miami. I don't do this, but in theory I can leave my car door unlocked and someone won't steal my car.

Here's a link that may give you a better feel for D'Ville: http://chapelhillnews.net/ It's something that they send to all Douglas County residents for free. It will give you an idea of D'Ville life.

I hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or