Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 35,314 times

Advertisements

Who am I: I am an Black American, never lived in Georgia, relocating to take a position at Fort McPherson. Recently retired from the Army. Have home and family in South Carolina.

What I'm looking for: My position requires me to travel 75% of the year and will be based at Fort McPherson. I want to live in a studio apartment in one of the two listed cities above. Now as far as traffic, I've lived and worked in the Washington, DC area, so traffic is not a big deal. I know crime is everywhere and I put it in two categories: 1. Crime you look for 2. Crime that looks for you

My questions:
1. What are your thoughts on Lithia Springs and Stockbridge, GA?

2. I want to live in as safe of an environment as I can, meaning I want to concentrate on living a clean life, going to work and being able to provide for myself and my family and be able to come to my studio apartment and get a good night sleep, of the two where is this more possible and why?

3. I personally don't try to put myself in a crime situation but understand that it might look for me, my vehicle is insured, there is renter's insurance.
If not one of these two areas's what would you suggest in driving distance to Fort McPherson would be a safer place to live?

I seek serious posts, as 50% of my decision will be based on the information provided in this form.

Thank you all and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Why Lithia Springs or Stockbridge? Those are random choices for working at Fort McPherson. You would be better off living in Midtown or somewhere near there in a studio and using MARTA to get to Fort McPherson and also to the airport for your traveling.

If it has to be between those two areas, then Stockbridge (Henry County) would be better. I don't really like Lithia Springs at all. But honestly, please consider other neigborhoods like the Highlands, Decatur, or Midtown in your move. I think you would be quite happy in those places.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 176,214 times
I sent you a private message regarding Stockbridge. You can message me back if you have any questions.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:37 AM

308 posts, read 1,037,589 times
"1. Crime you look for 2. Crime that looks for you"

That's funny. I grew up in Lithia Springs. There isn't a whole lot to it. It's become part of Atlanta- very busy and trafficy in spots while other areas remain exactly the same- laid back, low key and country.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 AM

214 posts, read 915,557 times
RUN FROM LITHIA!!!! I grew up there as well and the people that are there....stay there.....FOREVER. You will never get out, it will suck you in, like a bad horror movie that does not end!!

Ok, so it's really not that bad. It's just that it was run down when I left in 1996 and the city lost its incorporation shortly after I left. Not sure of it's status now. And if you have any kids, or plan on having any, Douglas Co is NOT the place to go. 1 person I know graduated and went to a top school...1. The rest either popped out kids during or right after their attempt at Lithia Springs High or went to work. A handful of people went to college. Perhaps this was just my group or the whole school...

The housing sucks, there are 2 major roads in good ol' LS - Thornton Rd or Bankhead Hwy. And there's a Wally-World (Wal-mart) that's about it...and a few car dealerships...other than that, welcome to hell.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:45 AM

Default Made a decision........

Decided to move to Fairburn, GA. Thank you all for your input.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
Fairburn is a good choice. Sort of a rural feel but still very close to ATL

Old 10-05-2008, 06:04 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
You know that base is closing in a few years right?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 AM

Yes, my position moves with it to Fort Bragg where I just came from, that is why I decided to purchase an apartment.

Thanks for the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta