Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:41 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Opal was a heckuva rain maker, we got soaked in north Alabama AND got tropical force winds as well.

I think the rain is worth a week without power, but then, I'm a gardener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Well, Hurricane Opal in 1995 made it to Atlanta and brought heavy rain and very strong winds. We were without power for a week.
Matt is correct ... very strong winds. A very large oak in my backyard tumbled over, took out part of my deck and the fence.

I welcome the RAIN, however with our drought causing many large trees to root upward ... I'd think we would have quite a mess from toppled trees, power lines and then some?

Old 09-07-2008, 01:01 AM

481 posts, read 2,821,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Well, Hurricane Opal in 1995 made it to Atlanta and brought heavy rain and very strong winds. We were without power for a week.
Opal did cause a lot of damage from the fringe winds and rain, but technically I don't think the hurricane itself actually got here. Opal was just so powerful even the outskirts caused heavy damage. AJC just ran an article this week that said no hurricane has actually made landfall in Georgia for over 100 years...

Old 09-07-2008, 05:58 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Opal did cause a lot of damage from the fringe winds and rain, but technically I don't think the hurricane itself actually got here. Opal was just so powerful even the outskirts caused heavy damage. AJC just ran an article this week that said no hurricane has actually made landfall in Georgia for over 100 years...
A storm can make landfall and still remain a hurricane as it passes inland. Ask the people of Jackson, MS during Hurricane Katrina. Though the storm made landfall south of them, as the center passed over Jackson, MS, Katrina was still a category 1 hurricane.

That said, Opal was not hurricane strength as it passed through eastern Alabama. It wasn't the "outskirts" that hit Atlanta - it was the actual circulation as the storm center passed west of the city.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 AM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Opal didnt even make landfall in GA, it made landfall in FL. But parts of GA definitely had hurricane force wind gusts.The Atlanta area had tropical storm force sustained winds and gusts to 70-75 mph, although I had a gust of 82 mph at my house near the Alabama border. If a hurricane were to hit the GA coast, more than likely Atlanta wouldnt get alot of wind and rain out of it since it probably curve north and move east of Atlanta and Atlanta would be on the west side of the storm which is the weaker side. Generally, storms that come out of the Gulf are the ones that bring Atlanta alot of rain and wind.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM

193 posts, read 693,013 times
****, Ike is going to miss us also

Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
It was definitely still a tropical storm when it passed over north east Alabama. We got the wind and rain, then a lull as the eye passed, then it started up again. I'd never experienced anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: