Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd1588 View Post
Lets just hopes he soon get out of the Minstrel business.
I just thought he was a drag queen.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Is this guy for real?? Does he even think?? He has some of the worst movies ever, and the most brash and untalented comedian ever. Ha, he'll lose so much money when that place opens, it'll be worse than the Hard Rock Park in Myrtle Beach.
I'll sure that Mr. Perry will break down and cry over your catty remarks in between trips to the bank.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
I don't watch Tyler Perry shows/movies etc. Just don't interest me. Good for him if he's raking in the dough, but I have a question, how come everything he creates has 'Tyler Perry's.............'.

It's petty, but whenever I see that on TV it annoys me, don't know why, just does.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I don't watch Tyler Perry shows/movies etc. Just don't interest me. Good for him if he's raking in the dough, but I have a question, how come everything he creates has 'Tyler Perry's.............'.

It's petty, but whenever I see that on TV it annoys me, don't know why, just does.
It's called building a brand! Seemed to work for alot of artists before Tyler Perry hit the scene. I'm sure you don't have a problem with "Walt Disney Presents" right?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
nature's message,

If he's not your cup of tea, cool. Who cares, really?

Just like southgeorgia said, Good for him. He's got a following and he's doing good. He's richer than most of us here, and could care less if a few dont like him or support him. That's expected.

His recent movie was #1 for two weeks in a row, and #2 this past weekend. He must be doing something well. Plus it's always easy to be a critic. Try making movies and gather consistent audiences, then you can talk.

So, to each their own.

Exactly I wouldnt worry about people negative somments either. To know where Tyler Perry came from and to see him now i am really happy for him. It will be a while before the studio gets really big but when it does its going to do alot for Atlanta media market. when i went to see it. there were all types of people seing his movies whites blacks asians i was surprised. But kudos to him.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
It's called building a brand! Seemed to work for alot of artists before Tyler Perry hit the scene. I'm sure you don't have a problem with "Walt Disney Presents" right?
No, his name is actually part of the title. It's not called 'Walt Disney's Cinderella', it's just Cinderella.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
I'm sort of ambivalent about Perry. On one hand, he makes movies, TV shows and plays that are perceived as positive, and he is a self-made man who rose from homelessness to building his own empire within the span of a decade. That is nothing short of amazing

On the other hand, I find a lot of his movies to be very maudlin and mawkish, and depend way too much on cliched themes and Deus Ex Machina to come to a quick resolution.

But I've realized that Tyler Perry is a businessman first, so his movies are not necessarily going to cater to a more refined artistic sensibility, and that is perfectly fine. He knows who breads his butter and that everything isn't for everyone. I do like to see the increasing diversity of crowds who patronize his films, so it seems a lot of his messages are not strictly Black. I do notice that the black militant and "blacker than thou" crowd seem to hate his movies.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
No, his name is actually part of the title. It's not called 'Walt Disney's Cinderella', it's just Cinderella.
I've seen it presented as Walt Disney Presents Cinderella before.

And so what? Why does that threaten you that he is building a brand for himself?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

And so what? Why does that threaten you that he is building a brand for himself?
GT6974a,

Yeah. Why does it seem to bother you so much? I was not a fan of his until my wife got me to watch some of his movies. The whole Madea theme used to get on my nerves before.

In my opinion, it used to signify the old Hollywood stereotype of the aggressive, overbearing big black woman (think Hathie McDaniel, gone with the wind etc). That would get on my nerves at first, but I loosened up a bit and started watching. Initially, I was resistant to it, but I opened up and enjoy them now. Nothing wrong with that.

Most people here need to relax. He uses his name for branding purposes. He must have learned it from somewhere, right?
(Disney, MGM, Fox, and filmmakers like Jerry Bruckheimer ...(he always lets himself known), Spike Lee, Steven Spielberg). It's nothing new. He's just learning it from others that came before him.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

Well he is the self-proclaimed "Southern Conservative White Male Racist" so maybe that explains it ...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta