Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:39 PM

46 posts, read 211,655 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I recently moved to ATL. We are clean, professional, law abiding, kind and respectable people. ( I had to start it off that way because as soon as you say "atheist", people assume you wear black and worship the devil).

We would love to meet some African American atheists in the Atlanta area. Believe me, there are some...even in this bible-belt area. It's hard for people to be courageous enough (especially for Black people) to come out of the religious "closet".

Not trying to stir up controversy (even though I'm sure I will), we just would love to mix and mingle with other freethinkers.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel74 View Post
Hubby and I recently moved to ATL. We are clean, professional, law abiding, kind and respectable people. ( I had to start it off that way because as soon as you say "atheist", people assume you wear black and worship the devil).

We would love to meet some African American atheists in the Atlanta area. Believe me, there are some...even in this bible-belt area. It's hard for people to be courageous enough (especially for Black people) to come out of the religious "closet".

Not trying to stir up controversy (even though I'm sure I will), we just would love to mix and mingle with other freethinkers.
So why do the people you're looking to hang out with have to be "black atheists"? Can't they just be "atheists"?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 PM

Because Bob, the truth of the matter is people do tend to feel most comfortable around people of their own kind.

I have seen some other atheist groups in Atlanta online, but when I clicked on their pics, I did not see one black face. If you are white, and I would assume that you are by your question, imagine if you were interested in "Southern Rap" and the Hip-Hop culture for example.
You do an online search and see that there are southern rap interest groups meeting in Atlanta, but when you click on their pics, you don't see a single white face in the crowd. I wonder how quick you would be to join.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:53 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Because Bob, the truth of the matter is people do tend to feel most comfortable around people of their own kind.

I have seen some other atheist groups in Atlanta online, but when I clicked on their pics, I did not see one black face. If you are white, and I would assume that you are by your question, imagine if you were interested in "Southern Rap" and the Hip-Hop culture for example.
You do an online search and see that there are southern rap interest groups meeting in Atlanta, but when you click on their pics, you don't see a single white face in the crowd. I wonder how quick you would be to join.
I guess it would depend on whether I was truly a "free thinker" as you noted in your original post. It is good to see a black person acknowledge that people "tend to feel most comfortable around people of their own kind", since any time a white person says it around here, they're automatically labeled as "racist".

Old 09-06-2008, 02:22 PM

The term "freethinker" refers to someone who tends to question or has an untraditional view on religion. What Is A Freethinker? I am a freethinker. Racist, I am not. Racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Never did I say I hated white people, religious people or any other group for that matter. What I said was that people tend to feel MOST comfortable around their race.

I would not feel the most comfortable joining a group in which there is no other person there of my race. People may not want to admit it here, but I think most people on BOTH sides would agree.

At my job, there are people there of ALL races and it is a beautiful thing. I choose to be a part of social situations in which diversity is at hand. I am seeking other Black atheists because that is such a RARE thing. My husband and I would love to meet with other Black atheists, maybe then we can ALL join the one I found before.

NO ONE likes to be "the only one" no matter what you may think.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:48 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I guess it would depend on whether I was truly a "free thinker" as you noted in your original post. It is good to see a black person acknowledge that people "tend to feel most comfortable around people of their own kind", since any time a white person says it around here, they're automatically labeled as "racist".
I dont think they meant it that way. I think, if they did see some level of diversity in the "pics" they mentioned about Atheist groups in Atlanta, they probably would not be here asking these questions. It's a tough spot to be in. Having an open mind, and not knowing if they will be accepted in a subculture such as the one they are asking about. It is hard being the only person anywhere, certainly when there is a majority that may not look like you, or speak your language etc, even if you, yourself are accepting, and open minded. There is a general and normal fear of not being accepted in a group that may not look like you. It would be nice if things were so easy, but you have to put yourself in their shoes for a second. I dont think they meant anything racist or separatist about it.

However, I do agree with you that if someone who happens to be white were to inquire about the same thing, as you mentioned, say an all white, restaurant or crochet club, it might sound a bit racist.
It's a tough spot to be in. But to be honest, if there were clubs or associations where different groups were represented, I strongly feel they would not have any issues about joining. If they found a group with all sorts of people, and did not want to be in that group simply because there were some whites in that group, now that would be racist.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Yeah, some people tend to think that sort of think about ANY religious belief or persuasion that they haven't heard about. Strange... And sad, IMO.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Why don't you start by just getting out and meeting people (black, white, ...). Out of all the people you meet, you'll "click" with some and they'll then be your friends. You can then spread the word among your friends that you are interested in meeting some folks who share your culture and beliefs. Let your new friends point you in the direction of other black atheists.

I understand your desire to meet a "like kind", but I think you are going about it kind of backwards. Cast a wider net!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I dont think they meant it that way. I think, if they did see some level of diversity in the "pics" they mentioned about Atheist groups in Atlanta, they probably would not be here asking these questions. It's a tough spot to be in. Having an open mind, and not knowing if they will be accepted in a subculture such as the one they are asking about. It is hard being the only person anywhere, certainly when there is a majority that may not look like you, or speak your language etc, even if you, yourself are accepting, and open minded. There is a general and normal fear of not being accepted in a group that may not look like you. It would be nice if things were so easy, but you have to put yourself in their shoes for a second. I dont think they meant anything racist or separatist about it.
Thank you Mister NY for understanding my point of view.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:15 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
Yes, we black atheists and agnostics do exist and are very much "in the closet". PM me if you want to talk more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta