Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 AM

481 posts, read 2,822,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
True, but I thought it was a valuable suggestion, nonetheless. When my teen daughter needs a batch of new clothes, North Georgia Premium Outlets is absolutely worth the drive. It has lots of selection in styles she likes, at better prices than the regular mall outlets of the same stores. And since we only go out there a couple of times a year, it's kind of an outing.

Apart from that, I go to North Point when I want mall type shopping. From what I've seen of other north metro malls (Town Center, Discover Mills, Perimeter, Lenox) they all have basically the same stores. I'm obviously not a mall connoisseur because I can't imagine driving further than I have to for what seems to me about the same experience - and it's an experience I mostly prefer to avoid.

OK, OK, I'll give Lenox an extra rating because it's much better for formal clothes. Even though the stores are mostly the same as at Perimeter and North Point, they have a much more extensive selection of dresses. When you need a party or prom dress, don't bother with North Point or Perimeter, but head straight to Buckhead.
Town Center, Cumberland, Arbor Place, etc all have the same types of stores, but Perimeter and Lenox have a lot of upscale stores that you can't find anywhere else.

Lenox in particular has many, many stores that are the only locations in the franchise for Atlanta or even the whole southeast.

As for formal shopping, Phipps (next to Lenox) is the place for that. Pretty much everything in Phipps you won't find at any other mall, it's all designer stuff like Gucci, Versace, Armani, etc.

Also, the choice of malls really comes down to what you buy and how much money you spend. There are regular malls and upscale malls. You have the malls anchored by Sears, Costco, and JCPenny and the malls anchored by Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Sak's, and Neiman Marcus. Obviously some people will prefer the former and some will prefer the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Town Center, Cumberland, Arbor Place, etc all have the same types of stores, but Perimeter and Lenox have a lot of upscale stores that you can't find anywhere else.

Lenox in particular has many, many stores that are the only locations in the franchise for Atlanta or even the whole southeast.

As for formal shopping, Phipps (next to Lenox) is the place for that. Pretty much everything in Phipps you won't find at any other mall, it's all designer stuff like Gucci, Versace, Armani, etc.

Also, the choice of malls really comes down to what you buy and how much money you spend. There are regular malls and upscale malls. You have the malls anchored by Sears, Costco, and JCPenny and the malls anchored by Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Sak's, and Neiman Marcus. Obviously some people will prefer the former and some will prefer the latter.
Indeed, I'm way outta the designer price range and probably don't notice the unique specialty stores at Lenox because they'd be beyond my budget. When I said Lenox is better for formal wear, I meant that mid-price (to me; doubtless embarrassingly low-cost to some) department and chain stores like Macy's and The Limited carry much more selection in formal wear at Lenox than in the suburban malls.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 AM

67 posts, read 272,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
My guess is that you haven't been to Cumberland Mall in a long time.

Poor management allowed groups of thug teens roam freely for a while, increasing crime in the mall and driving people away. That was a while ago - that management changed since those days and newer management adopted more of a zero tolerance for that stuff. They also completed a multi-million dollar expansion of the mall with new sit-down restaurants, remodeled the food court, among other improvements. Since, Costco has opened a store on the property, and the Cobb performing arts center is next door.

So no - it's not the Cumberland Mall you apparently remember.
If so then I stand corrected. True I have not been there in 2 (maybe 3) years. However, after my experience there at that time you can't blame me for not going back... I'm glad to hear its restored now. Maybe I will check it out whenever I'm in the area.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:08 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straighttalker75 View Post
If so then I stand corrected. True I have not been there in 2 (maybe 3) years. However, after my experience there at that time you can't blame me for not going back... I'm glad to hear its restored now. Maybe I will check it out whenever I'm in the area.

I went there not long ago and it's still not a mall I would recommend. It's nice to see roaming cops around and they have cleaned it up but there is not a big variety of stores there. They have 3 to 4 stores where you can find plenty of tennis shoes and sports apparel and plenty of kiosks with today’s latest gold/silver/and fake platinum chains and emblems but not a great mixture of shops. But I think that goes with the lack of shopping there because it basically has become a hang out.
Now they definitely cleaned it up and the restaurants are great, I would recommend it for the eateries there but drive 15 more mins and got to Towncenter for shopping unless your looking for the above apparel.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
I went there not long ago and it's still not a mall I would recommend. It's nice to see roaming cops around and they have cleaned it up but there is not a big variety of stores there. They have 3 to 4 stores where you can find plenty of tennis shoes and sports apparel and plenty of kiosks with today’s latest gold/silver/and fake platinum chains and emblems but not a great mixture of shops. But I think that goes with the lack of shopping there because it basically has become a hang out.
Now they definitely cleaned it up and the restaurants are great, I would recommend it for the eateries there but drive 15 more mins and got to Towncenter for shopping unless your looking for the above apparel.
Gotta agree with JasonPaul on this one. I remember the old Cumberland and was excited when I saw the "Extreme Mall Makeover" signs. Granted, the mall LOOKS nice, and they definitely upgraded the restaurants (ha ha, used to be they only had that sorry Mick's with the exterior signage all faded), but the shops kind of suck. Seriously, how many stores do you need to buy fashion sports shoes? The mall is interesting, b/c it does have quite a crossroads of people who patronize it, so you have different types of places. Overall, you still get a big "trash" element there, though (of ALL races) which is kind of a turn-off. But, having said that, I will say it's definitely better than it used to be.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 AM

6 posts, read 27,304 times
1. Lennox
2. Perimeter
3. Mall of GA.

I didn't put Phipps because, although it is a very nice mall, it is out of the price range for most people, so I don't think it's very practical (unless you just enjoy window shopping). Plus I have nightmares about Phipps... when I first moved to Atlanta I had to run out and get a suit for a job interview I had that day, and someone sent me to Phipps. I picked out a suit, they adjusted it for me, and only when I went to pay for it did I realize that it was a $1000+ suit But I was running late for my job interview so I ended up buying it. Fortunately for me I was able to go back later that day and return it

Old 09-09-2008, 10:19 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Stonecrest is a predominantly black mall and Atlanta's finest said it was okay. Was he wrong?

Well, he posted (well edited his post to add those 2) that after I had already posted.

Stonecrest is doing nice. I live near it. Every couple months, something new is going up. The mall itself is pretty boring. Not much variety but the stores surrounding the mall. You have more choices...

Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
I think that Cumberland Mall could do without about 4 of its 10 shoe stores. But I also think that the mall has been greatly improved and the selection of stores is getting better. But they still need to add a J. Crew I think to the mall.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:34 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Surprisingly, Ansley Mall, while admittedly dated, still has a heartbeat. It's pretty lively, the Starbucks is Gay-boy Central, and Intaglia (a really great contemporary home furnishings store), just moved in.
Having said that, I'm sure it will be leveled come the next real estate boom.

It is surprising that Ansley Mall hasn't been updated. Individual stores have moved in and remodeled but not the mall itself. LA Fitness spent a ton of money in around 2001 or 2002.

I really don't think there's much to work with. From a cost standpoint, it's probably better to tear everything down and start from scratch. Ansley Mall needs so many cosmetics, and a few Botox injections ain't going to work.

Real estate boom? Wow! It's nice to dream. Today, it's real estate gloom.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Best:

Mall of Georgia
Discovery Mills
Atlantic Station

Worst:
Gwinnett Place Mall
And all others that I do not frequent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta