Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 15,249 times

Advertisements

I live in a 620sqf apartment. We have to have Marietta Power. Last time I lived alone in a 1 bed room apartment I paid around 50 dollar/month. I was careless with the air & always left my computer going. That was second floor & three years ago.

Now, I'm alone again - top floor, valuted ceilings. I'm told that this may have a reason to why my bill is so high. I paid about 130 this month / 1,158kwh.

& that is always having it on 78 degrees.
Cutting my computer off at night/during day at work.
All lights off.
Tv.

I'm SUPER watching myself & still paying more than I think I should.

Is it just the rates, top floor vaulted ceilings or is there a problem?

I don't mind, I can afford -- but I don't want to be paying that much if I shouldn't be (esp for a 1 bedroom). Going to talk to my neighbor to see what his average is .. but thought I'd get some ideas from you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM

133 posts, read 504,523 times
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I lived at Woodpointe apartments in Marietta on the first floor and my bill was a little over 100 dollars a month. I really couldn't understand it. One month I went away for two and a half weeks and my bill was still over 100 dollars. I think it's definitely rigged some kind of way. When I moved into my HOUSE my bill was 54 dollars. Something is definitely up with that.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:41 PM

133 posts, read 504,523 times
Oh, check your Direct Messages--top of your screen, right side.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 15,249 times
woodpointe- I think I looked at those.. hmm.. I'll keep eyes open for your message. Why leaving such a good deal?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
On the top floor in the summer you're getting heat from the apartment building's attic space, as well as the fact heat rises from the apartments below you as well. Even with your thermostat at 78, it might not be able to *easily* cool the place down under those conditions (and adding a vaulted ceiling to the mix). On a better note, in the Winter it might help, having your neighbor's heat under you rising (some).

Keep in mind too, that many apartments don't exactly have the best quality windows and A/C units, either.

Oh, about turning off the computer and TV: Many people don't know that even when modern electronics are turned "off", they are still taking in a trickle-charge of electricity and in some cases it can be as high as 25% of what they normally use when powered on. It adds up. Power experts suggest plugging everything into surge protector strips, and when you turn your stuff off, turn off the STRIP as well. This cuts off ALL power, and you save a lot. Now, in the case of DVD players and satellite boxes, this can erase their memory and you have to reset them each time you turn them back on, so some new power strips actually have two outlets on them that don't turn off when you turn the whole strip off - allowing you to plug stuff like that in to save their memory settings, while still turning off the other stuff plugged into it.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:27 PM

36 posts, read 220,808 times
I do know that the utlities are more expensive here than other cities. However still, but power bill has never been more than $70 and my apt is about the same size as yours (I have GA Power). I turn off my air every time I leave the house. I'm not sure how much a computer really affects your bill. $130 does sound like a bit much...I'd be angry. Sorry.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:14 AM

188 posts, read 680,050 times
My condo is 1200 sft. We hardly turn on the AC (we have ceiling fans) and we also have w/d. Even with all these our GA power bill last month was $47.00. When we moved in to this condo last year, for three months my power bill was $7.00. ....Those were the good days. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: