Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:59 AM

10 posts, read 28,153 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I really want to move to Lawrenceville, GA I am scared to move because of the recession and plus my husband has a good state job here in NJ but we don't like it here at all. We are looking to move to Gwinnett County but I want to move to the county with the good school district for my 4 year old daughter. Also how is the jobs there I here it is over crowded and hard to find a job there.

My husband is a Food Service Supervisor? And I am a Medical Assistant Instructor?

Please any help would be good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Especially for yourself, I'd think long and hard about finding a job before moving. The state colleges have all been asked to cut their budgets 6-8%, so new instructor hires will be virtually non-existent. That leaves only the private schools like Lincoln Tech, and there's not that many of them here- those that are here are scattered all over the metro area, and it could be a painful commute if you end up living in L-ville and working on the other side of town.

We moved from NJ last year and we love it, so I'm by no means trying to discourage you. However, you're coming down here looking for positions that aren't exactly the type of positions that companies are having a hard time filling, so you might have a problem finding work.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 28,153 times
What about Medical Assistant Positions, Clerical or Education Secretary I have experience in all 3

Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 AM

97 posts, read 437,440 times
Yup, ya' herd right - werr full in Georgia.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 AM

242 posts, read 841,715 times
Do not move without a job - enough said

Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsaysga View Post
What about Medical Assistant Positions, Clerical or Education Secretary I have experience in all 3
As long as you're willing to work for $8-10/hour, you can probably find something, but bear in mind that there's plenty of other folks looking to fill those positions as well. Have you tried looking at ajc.com, Monster, Careerbuilder, etc., to see what's listed?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
Do not move without a job - enough said

i agree

Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
The above have stated the answers very well.
I have to say that Gwinnett along with the rest of the Atlanta area has many folks from up North who are not to satisfied.
Many moved here without employment thinking they would find a mecca of jobs a plenty, cheap housing, low cost of living, etc., only to find out quite the opposite.

As it was stated, you can land many a service job with lower wages as you can in New Jersey. Homes are cheaper here, but you get what you pay for as you do in New Jersey. The cost of living is cheaper in the way of property taxes and car insurance (which is catching up here) but other areas may fool you. We have 6% income tax, local food tax, 6-8% depending on county clothing and all other sales tax, car tax, and just about every nickle and dime hidden tax you can think of.

Overdevelopment has caused an area awash in vacant homes, empty lots, and many a folk, who want to return up north that cannot sell their homes even if Jesus himself blessed the place.

I don't know how familiar you are with Georgia, Lawrenceville has a very nice downtown and the school system is good as long as you are in the northern area of Lawrenceville. The town has the largest geography in Gwinnett County so you have to research the area.

What part of Jersey are you in? I lived in Jersey for 10 years and frankly if it can ever lose it's left wing leadership with Corzine and company being the Sheriff of Nottingham I would love to come back! This from a West Virginia native who spent the vast majority of his life in the south.

If you like the shore, if you like the best food in America, if you like all four seasons, if you like American history, then this area is NOT for you, Jersey is.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 PM

91 posts, read 344,161 times
Technically, we are not in a recession. A recession is two consecutive quarters of negative growth. We have not even seen one yet.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
Technically, we are not in a recession. A recession is two consecutive quarters of negative growth. We have not even seen one yet.

I don't know about you, but I listen to what Warren Buffet says.

If the richest man in the world says we're in a recession, we're in a recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: