Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 18,821 times

Advertisements

I live in a covenanted neighborhood. My neighbor (who sits on the board) applied for a darker trim, was approved and has since had the trim painted. I applied for the same or lighter color and have been denied on three applications for approval. The reasoning of the board is that my neighbors color has had a “negative response” and will not be allowed again
I have asked to be given the same consideration as my neighbor to no avail. What are my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 9,412 times
Default Help with homeowner association

How does a person deal with a homeowner association???? Can you direct me to info???

Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,776,504 times
If the restrictive covenants of your HOA give them veto power over your color choices, then there is little if nothing you can do...you signed on for it, after all, and that sword cuts both ways. Best you can hope for is a more amenable board come election time.
My friend is in a similar situation...she chose a lovely celery green for her house trim that was a beautiful complement to her orange-tinged brick. But green had never been "tried" in the neighborhood, and the HOA was not comfortable with approving anything but white, cream or beige. So cream it was.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 18,821 times
BUt the board approved my neighbor's dark color and will not give me the same approval for the same color

Old 09-10-2008, 11:59 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,776,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganlane View Post
BUt the board approved my neighbor's dark color and will not give me the same approval for the same color
Yes, it sounds like they had 'buyer's remorse' over approving your neighbor's choice and now you're paying for it...it sounds like they have the power to do this as granted by the HOA agreement.
You could have a lawyer review the agreement to see if they do in fact have this power.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:05 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,518,555 times
Get elected to the board

Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,979,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej62 View Post
How does a person deal with a homeowner association???? Can you direct me to info???
If the neighbor was an exception and they've decided that similar exceptions aren't worth it in the future, you might be out of luck, at least until there's some turnover in the HOA board and/or committees in question.

I would spend some time talking to the folks making the decision to get some feel for how strongly they oppose it. It could be that they're still uncertain, but unless you socialize a little you won't know...

Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,043,460 times
HOA's are in place to protect you and other homeowner's in the neighborhood. When you enter into a neighborhood that has an HOA you should be fully aware that they have the right to tell you what you can and cannot do and if you choose not to listen, then they have the right to pursue the issue through the courts and most of the time, the court will side with the HOA.
Not to echo what everyone else has said on here, but...sounds like they decided that they did not like the color that your neighbor has and in reality, they can make that neighbor repaint in the future so it's best to just let it be and find another color that makes you just as happy!
Good luck! HOA's can be very difficult at times but in the long run they really try to preserve the beauty of a neighborhood which helps with the value of your house!
You have to take the good and the bad!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 AM

513 posts, read 1,626,151 times
We repainted our home last year from a very light gray to a darker gray and the first color choice was denied by our HOA because it was too close in color to our neighbors. I had no problem at all giving them my 2nd choice. Then again, you are talking about trim, which might seem like a smaller issue. We just make everyone have the same trim color here and be done with it.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 AM

340 posts, read 1,572,117 times
Try to threat neighborhood you are going to put the house for sale and deep discount it if you don't get what you want. This way you can lower the value of properties in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: