Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why do they stop? As with any problem (well, many problems), it's only through continuous action that change is accomplished.

If it becomes obvious to panhandlers that they are not wanted in an area (and if the hassle becomes too great for them), then they will probably leave on their own.

I don't get it... Are there legal issues preventing better enforcement of loitering laws in Atlanta? Manpower issues? What?
One word - "Activists".

Atlanta has several extremely aggressive activists who immediately jump on the legal "discrimination" bandwagon whenever there is a crackdown of panhandlers. Sometimes they say the city is discriminating because many of the panhandlers are black. Sometimes they say the city is discriminating because many of them have mental disorders. Or that they're discriminating against them because they have drug or alcohol addiction disorders.

There's a different discrimination card used each time, but every time they get aggressive to remove these people from the streets, a handful of these activists step up immediately and start filing lawsuits and organizing protests. The City always backs down once this happens, and things go back to normal (normal being lots of panhandlers downtown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Are they afraid of being sued or of bad publicity? My experience has been that very few people really give a darn about panhandlers, so I can't imagine that getting aggressive with them would hurt politically. And presumably the city has plenty of attorneys to defend themselves from such nuisance suits. I mean, if it's affecting tourism and giving the city a bad name it would seem only reasonable to do something about it.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Are they afraid of being sued or of bad publicity? My experience has been that very few people really give a darn about panhandlers, so I can't imagine that getting aggressive with them would hurt politically. And presumably the city has plenty of attorneys to defend themselves from such nuisance suits. I mean, if it's affecting tourism and giving the city a bad name it would seem only reasonable to do something about it.
It would seem so, but, they don't. I have absolutely no idea if it's fear or just completely incompetent legal representation they have, but they never follow through with any of the enforcement tries.

Hey, I've been here since 1984 - while the problem wasn't nearly as bad then as it is now, they tried to clean things up back then and didn't do much, either. So it's a 24+ year problem that so far, NO Mayor during that time has done much to fix.

Compared to many larger cities, Atlanta has a pathetically small shopping district downtown. They've come up with tons of theories as to why this is, and usually just rest on the "sprawl" excuse. Yes, Atlanta is sprawled and that certainly contributes to the fact they don't have a huge thriving shopping-oriented downtown area. But the long time dirty little secret has been that even if you did open the best shops downtown, most folks (suburban OR people who live in the city) would not come downtown due to the panhandlers who approach them, and the bums you see asleep in Woodruff Park and/or on the sidewalks. It turns people off.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
The money for this is coming from Central Atlanta Progress, the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau, Georgia World Congress Center, and the Atlanta Police Foundation - not the city and the program will be administered by Central Atlanta Progress, a private organization.

I don't really understand the 150K comment.
All taxes... or in their terms, 'fees'. Who in the Hell do you think pays these 'fees', not the employees nor sponsors, it's built in!!!

Why don't you try working downtown for a day. I get hit up by these crazy guys at least once a day if not 2-3.

And they don't just ask for money, in any other situation, they 'assault' you and the cops don't do much. The 'A' hospitality people do a better job. These people walk around yelling at the top of their lungs, and they yell at people, including ones they don't even ask money from.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 PM

34 posts, read 104,093 times
Yes what you say is true. But isnt that what the area around Centennial Olympic park is for? Thats the new downtown. No body goes to Woodruff Park, and I am suprised they are even bothering with it because everyone else who lives in metro Atlanta has left that part of the city for dead. No body goes to Five Points, so i am not sure who these panhandlers are targeting.

I think maybe they are starting to seep into "Luckie-Marietta" district... Not good, so i am glad the city stepped up.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1978 View Post
Yes what you say is true. But isnt that what the area around Centennial Olympic park is for? Thats the new downtown. No body goes to Woodruff Park, and I am suprised they are even bothering with it because everyone else who lives in metro Atlanta has left that part of the city for dead. No body goes to Five Points, so i am not sure who these panhandlers are targeting.

I think maybe they are starting to seep into "Luckie-Marietta" district... Not good, so i am glad the city stepped up.

You obviously don't live, nor work downtown, that's where everyone is!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
I saw on the news yesterday that the city wants people to stop giving money to the panhandlers and thats suppose to stop them from asking. It's gotten crazy in some spots. I got gas at a Grant park gas station and this guy litterally ran over to my truck asking for money. He had this crazy look in his eyes and I felt it was either going to be a fight to the death or I give him a dollar, so I gave him a buck. The news last week was reporting that a family got gas in Atlanta and a guy came asking for money and the two men got into a fight and the panhandler pulled out a gun and shot and killed the guy. They have to find some solution soon.

Police: Panhandler Kills Man At Gas Station - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

Old 09-11-2008, 11:33 AM

34 posts, read 104,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
You obviously don't live, nor work downtown, that's where everyone is!
Could you please elaborate on what part of downtown you are speaking of?

South CBD ("government walk"), COP area, Fairlie Poplar, Five Points, "Luckie-Marietta", Peachtree Center, Downtown East (GSU)? There are lots of places within downtown, and are these panhandlers in all of these areas?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It would seem so, but, they don't. I have absolutely no idea if it's fear or just completely incompetent legal representation they have, but they never follow through with any of the enforcement tries.
The main reason they cannot enforce panhandling laws, here and nationwide is because the ACLU will scream freedom of speech. Aggressive panhandling is vague at best and how can one determine? Asking for money is annoying, but it's not illegal.

As a downtown resident I think this is a good thing. It's taxpayer free. It encourages donations to help the people in need. It also educates the populace to not give money to panhandlers, which curbs demand.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
As a downtown resident I think this is a good thing. It's taxpayer free. It encourages donations to help the people in need. It also educates the populace to not give money to panhandlers, which curbs demand.
I don't personally have a problem with special meters where the money will be used for charities. That's all fine and good, though my guess is those meters will be broken into by the same panhandlers they claim they'll discourage.

My only thing is that I don't think meters and passing out cards will do a thing to discourage or drive out the panhandlers in the area. Only being very aggressive about the actual act of panhandling will discourage them from doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: