Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Right on, Roslyn. I particularly notice the major cross streets that don't have any identifying sign you can read until you've missed all opportunity of getting into a left turn lane. The responsible authorities appear to assume that everyone driving on the roads has lived here their entire life and has no actual need of signage. It's bizarre when Atlanta has been having a massive influx of newcomers for something like two decades!
Cobb County signage is actually pretty good -- the street names are placed on the upcoming intersection signs as well as above the intersection itself in many cases. That lets you see what road is coming up well before you hit it.

That's one of the things Cobb seems to do better than the Twin Cities suburbs I came from.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:11 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
Atlanta has the best looking women, especially the black women. Most of the women in Miami are only in Miami on vacation. Atlanta is ranked in the top 5 in skylines. I think people just like to hate on Atlanta. I even heard of a study saying Atlanta is the worst city to sleep in...lol
That's truly amusing, but you could be partially correct. There IS a large modeling agency and community in South Beach! Once again these are business & personal travellers that fill out questionaires to collect data on the places they travel to.

One thing however, I probably speak to maybe 1200 people PER WEEK in my job out of the Atlanta airport. Some visitors passing through, some staying and some residents.

I hear [more often than not] how "rude" people are in the City of Atlanta (not specific to neighborhood). If you hear from one, naw ... you pass it off ... but you keep hearing it, more and more ... you wonder ... "Hmmm, attitude problem in Atlanta". Not specific, but it's the perception that is being talked about here and elsewhere.

Maybe you don't think there is ANYTHING to improve in Metro Atlanta? Perhaps you have a better suggestion how to collectively improve the "Atlanta image"? What would that be? I'd certainly like to hear how you'd approach improving quality of life in/around Metro Atlanta.

I'd certainly [as others would] be welcome to hear your suggestions? I don't think stopping any constructive criticism would help as I firmly believe that "Silience is consent". That isn't ever a good choice.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
^ That's another thing, Travel+Leisure ranked Atlanta low in the "Friendly" category. A lot people have complained about how rude people in Atlanta are and people also talk about how friendly people in San Diego are. Personally, I find it the other way around. It may be because I fit in better in ATL, since I'm not the "surfer dude" type. Atlanta may have its share of rude people, but I don't think its any worse than any other big city. Atlanta has also been ranked among having the most road rage and inconsiderate drivers.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
^ That's another thing, Travel+Leisure ranked Atlanta low in the "Friendly" category. A lot people have complained about how rude people in Atlanta are and people also talk about how friendly people in San Diego are. Personally, I find it the other way around. It may be because I fit in better in ATL, since I'm not the "surfer dude" type. Atlanta may have its share of rude people, but I don't think its any worse than any other big city. Atlanta has also been ranked among having the most road rage and inconsiderate drivers.
Well ... I believe if you work in the [public] sector you get much more exposure to demographic "behaviors" more so that you would, shall we say ... someone who works in an office cubicle and doesn't travel for their job.

Some people formulate their perception and opinion based upon 1 negative experience ... well that explains itself quite easily.

I'm not a 'surfer dude' either ... but I'm neither [pro/con] San Diego. They DO have the best weather patterns in the USA. That is statistically proven.

To me, Metro [and City] Atlanta residents are definately some of the "rudest" people in the USA. What I define "rude" as - NO manners or social "polish". But that's MY perception and observation in [high] numbers.

The only thing that T&L data survey told me that I wasn't imagining all the abusive remarks to me and my co-workers!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
As a Chicagoan, I've always perceived Atlanta (and Houston) as the big city options for Southerners if they want to relocate and live the urban lifestyle. A friend of mine has been to Atlanta for leisure trips a couple of time and raves about an area called Buckhead. I've never been to Atlanta and honestly, it's low on my list. That's not to say that I won't ever go there. I've been to the South, mainly Louisiana, Gulf Coast of Mississippi, the coast of Alabama, Flordia, Austin,TX, North Carolina and Memphis. Those places all have things that my home city does not - mainly coast, historical plantations, Beale Street, Graceland, and in the case of NC, lots of furniture! for cheaper than here. I never see advertising here in Chicago for Atlanta as a tourist destination so I'm pretty ignorant as to what the city has to offer; and don't know if there is a lot in Atlanta that I can't find here in Chicago.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:41 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
That's truly amusing, but you could be partially correct. There IS a large modeling agency and community in South Beach! Once again these are business & personal travellers that fill out questionaires to collect data on the places they travel to.

One thing however, I probably speak to maybe 1200 people PER WEEK in my job out of the Atlanta airport. Some visitors passing through, some staying and some residents.

I hear [more often than not] how "rude" people are in the City of Atlanta (not specific to neighborhood). If you hear from one, naw ... you pass it off ... but you keep hearing it, more and more ... you wonder ... "Hmmm, attitude problem in Atlanta". Not specific, but it's the perception that is being talked about here and elsewhere.

Maybe you don't think there is ANYTHING to improve in Metro Atlanta? Perhaps you have a better suggestion how to collectively improve the "Atlanta image"? What would that be? I'd certainly like to hear how you'd approach improving quality of life in/around Metro Atlanta.

I'd certainly [as others would] be welcome to hear your suggestions? I don't think stopping any constructive criticism would help as I firmly believe that "Silience is consent". That isn't ever a good choice.
I love Atlanta and overall people are very friendly.Its when you go to the Airport thats the ATTITUDE CENTRAL.I know that there was a push to make the people in the Airport more customer service friendly.It died a quick death it seems.There are too many people that work in city and county goverment that are rude as well.My French friends find it refreshing because it reminds them of home!!LOL.Among the general population though, people smile when you walk by,open the door for a stranger.Atlanta although wile not as diverse, is little like Miami ;its no longer typically "southern".The further in the suburbs going extreme north or south,people are extremely friendly.That said Atlanta is no more rude as people in NYC,Chicago or Boston.I think because Atlanta is a southern city, in most peoples mind,it is still expected to have that famous southern hospitality .

Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post

Most of the people in Atl airport are traveling so most of them arent even from the metro Atlanta, they are connecting to other flights. Most of the rude people in Atlanta are the yankees that keep moving to Atlanta. Nothing you can really do to improve an image when people automatically think of Atlanta in a certain way. Just like someone posted a thread saying Atlanta should be ranked #1 in crime in 2007 with 129 murders when it wasnt even close to being #1 with cities like Bmore having close to 300 murders and DC having close to 200 murders. Not even counting New Orleans or Detroit. Black women who arent from Atlanta will continue to say Atlanta isnt a place to marry when its plenty of single blk man in Atlanta available. They might not be driving a new car but its plenty of them around. Yankees will continue to view Atlanta as racist when its just as much racism in the north...Most Americans are dumb, they will believe anything seen on tv.

Last edited by chip1980; 09-16-2008 at 05:13 AM..

Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
Black women who arent from Atlanta will continue to say Atlanta isnt a place to marry when its plenty of single blk man in Atlanta available. They might not be driving a new car but its plenty of them around.
Why do they say that? Is there something behind it? B/c all that I keep hearing is that ATL is the "mecca" for professional blacks.

The survey seems to have some validity as they asked travelers leaving the city what they thought about certain aspects of ATL. The hottest women I've seen and that you've prolly seen in the states are still in FLA, Phoenix and So Cal - bottom line.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Why do they say that? Is there something behind it? B/c all that I keep hearing is that ATL is the "mecca" for professional blacks.

The survey seems to have some validity as they asked travelers leaving the city what they thought about certain aspects of ATL. The hottest women I've seen and that you've prolly seen in the states are still in FLA, Phoenix and So Cal - bottom line.
Phoenix??? LOL

I dont think the survey was geared to every race. I'm into black women and the best blk women I have seen were in Atlanta and Dallas, I know for a fact they werent in Phoenix, Florida or So Cal. Dont know about the other women but most of the women in So Cal have fake bodies and this not really attractive to me....

Atlanta is the mecca for blacks. No other city in America have the # of subdivisions geared towards blacks than Atlanta. No other city has nice homes in large #'s like they are in Cascade, Camp Creek, South Dekalb, etc.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The 2008 rankings for Travel and Leisure just came out. Atlanta is ranked near the bottom of the top 25 in nearly every category. Even the singles scene is ranked low right after Forbes ranked Atlanta the #1 city for singles. The best feature of Atlanta is affordability and even that's #11. I don't think I trust Travel and Leisure's opinion since it ranked Atlanta 23rd out of 25 in attractive people, when I think ATL has some of the most attractive women I've seen.

Here is the link:
America's Favorite Cities 2008 | Atlanta | Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/city/atlanta - broken link)
I've never trusted this T&L list either, and the examples you give are good reasons. When Houston actually used to be on the list (they removed it to make room for Austin of all places I suppose) it ranked low on everything. Even in categories that other lists (like Forbes) had it high on.

T&L is obviously based on perceptions. Not real data or rankings by real experts. The only purpose the T&L list serves IMO is to see how well (or poorly) people perceive these cities. Some cities get much more good publicity over others, but that doesn't change the facts. So take it with a big grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta