Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
Granted, I grew up in South Carolina and lived in North Carolina most of my adult life, but I've always considered Atlanta a great leisure destination:

Six Flags, the High Museum, Little Five Points, the Cyclorama, lots of good restaurants, cool neighborhoods like Va. Highlands and close-by cities like Decatur - just to name a scant few things to do.

(And by the way, I've been to NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Seattle, Charleston, Austin, Baltimore, D.C., San Antonio, London, Paris, Lisbon, Madrid and Dublin, among other cities ... so I'm hardly a rube with no point of comparison! LOL. I liked them all, for differing reasons. Just about every city has something to offer if you pack a positive attitude in that suitcase; even L.A., the city that most challenged my positive attitude! LOL.)
I tend to have a similar outlook. I enjoy cities for what they DO offer.

Atlanta is not tourist destination per se but it certainly does many attract visitors for some the things you mentioned. Shopping is another example. Studies have shown that 40% of Buckhead retail sales are by people that live more than 100 miles away.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:43 AM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I tend to have a similar outlook. I enjoy cities for what they DO offer.

Atlanta is not tourist destination per se but it certainly does many attract visitors for some the things you mentioned. Shopping is another example. Studies have shown that 40% of Buckhead retail sales are by people that live more than 100 miles away.
I'm glad you stated that. There is one poster on here that INSISTS that all retail sales in Buckhead derive ONLY from the residents nearby. And that Buckhead is the "richest" area in the world!

I prefer "affluent" myself. City of Atlanta is "ok" for many things, but I agree also it's NOT a tourist destination, per se. Unless you are visiting from rural neighboring states or counties.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
As far as articles (any, really) about "visitors to a city" - the one thing that many of these stories do incorrectly is clump conventioneers in with tourists. There is a difference between a visitor who comes here to attend an organized event/convention, and one who chooses to come here to see the local attractions. For instance, during the Olympics, you could correctly say that Atlanta had more tourists than just about anyone at least for a period. When the Aquarium FIRST opened, people were flying in from all over the world to see it (though the actual numbers of how many were impossible to track). But again, Atlanta is a business town - not a tourist destination. Yes of course we get some tourists as ANY city does. I would however, greatly argue with any article that puts us on a top-10 list for strictly tourists (not including conventioneers), though.

As far as your comment about "if you don't like it, why don't you leave?" Tell me - do you have $25,000 to shell out to just pull up and move elsewhere, regardless of how you feel about a city? Relocation is NOT cheap. Moving your belongings, finding a new home, moving PETS or KIDS, finding a new job... and especially when you're over the age of 40. It's not easy, nor is it cheap. If your response to people who bring up the not-so-hot aspects of the city is to just move, please, stand with them at the ATM and share your wealth so they can afford to. And just because someone points out something that isn't rosy and bright about a city doesn't mean they HATE it - it just means they're not a "rah rah rah" cheerleader for it all the time, and point out the realism of the place.

I would visit Seattle as a destination in a minute. Portland, too. Vancouver. I'd like to visit Bangor, Maine for that matter - as a destination. But the "convention" cities of Houston, Atlanta... no, I would not plan a week's itinerary around them. Do business in them? Sure.
Every holiday weekend this place is crowded.Regional tourism is waht draws people here.It cannot be underestimated.People from Mississippi,Alabama,South Carolina,North Carolina ans Tennesse.People from those places are definately coming here for excitement.They don't wanna hang out in Jackson,Columbia,Birmingham etc every weekend.They come to Atlanta more than a few times a year.True you may not have someone from New Hampshire by passing NYC or Washington D.C,but Atlant is fortunate for having a large region to pull from where people cannot go to many large cities like in the Northeast.Even from within the Stae of Georgia people come to Atlanta as a destination.They go to the night clubs resturants ,shopping etc.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times
The overall review to me is on target. I think the biggest issue is that Atlanta does not have a authentic identity. Most people are NOT from Atlanta, but live in Atlanta (including myself). My choice to live (and leave) and come back again was primarily due to employment and affordability (when considering all amenities).

I just do not feel a real sense of community for Atlanta. There is not an Atlanta experience. There nice neighborhoods, places to patronize, but not a experience, IMHO.

Prior to my choice in moving here, I only visited once which was a few weeks prior to my relocation. I am not sure if it even makes sense for Atlanta to want to market itself as a tourist city. Public transportation - POOR. Ease of travel - POOR. Poor signage and similar street names makes it hard to get around.

I think the travel experience is much better is Atlanta is a stop among other cities in GA but certainly not a primary destination.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Lightbulb Well said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Every holiday weekend this place is crowded.Regional tourism is waht draws people here.It cannot be underestimated.People from Mississippi,Alabama,South Carolina,North Carolina ans Tennesse.People from those places are definately coming here for excitement.They don't wanna hang out in Jackson,Columbia,Birmingham etc every weekend.They come to Atlanta more than a few times a year.True you may not have someone from New Hampshire by passing NYC or Washington D.C,but Atlant is fortunate for having a large region to pull from where people cannot go to many large cities like in the Northeast.Even from within the Stae of Georgia people come to Atlanta as a destination.They go to the night clubs resturants ,shopping etc.
This post is on the money...Many people in the aforementioned areas cannot afford the expensive air travel/hotels in Florida and D.C., NYC so Atlanta will always be a draw, easy access via Highway and less than a 3-4 hour drive from most places within the Deep South. Also The Atlanta Falcons, Braves, Hawks were the only major league sports franchises in the Deep South for a LONG TIME(Besides New Orleans). And still offer great access to people from MS, AL, SC, TN, NC and North Florida.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:50 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Have to disagree profoundly. The Denver-Fort Collins metro area most surely has the hottest women. Atlanta isn't all that in that respect.
Is it a diverse group though? A Saturday at Opera or the W will reveal beautiful women of all stripes.. (well, not enough Asian hotties)

Old 09-15-2008, 02:58 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
Quote:
Poor signage and similar street names makes it hard to get around.
What IS up with that %$&$# signage? Is there any particular reason why so many major cross streets don't have signs above the street? Most of the time you can't see the corner posts either because of distance or foliage. I swear, I spend so much time turning around even my four year old rolls his eyes.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
What IS up with that %$&$# signage? Is there any particular reason why so many major cross streets don't have signs above the street? Most of the time you can't see the corner posts either because of distance or foliage. I swear, I spend so much time turning around even my four year old rolls his eyes.
Right on, Roslyn. I particularly notice the major cross streets that don't have any identifying sign you can read until you've missed all opportunity of getting into a left turn lane. The responsible authorities appear to assume that everyone driving on the roads has lived here their entire life and has no actual need of signage. It's bizarre when Atlanta has been having a massive influx of newcomers for something like two decades!

We resorted to GPS, which is very effective but of course it's an expense. Also my husband has become so GPS-dependent that he's been here six years and hardly knows how to get anywhere without the electronic assistant.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Got to go to Atlanta 20 something yrs ago. Was on a work assignment. Saw the Braves (my first pro game) and Buckhead and some other places I can't think of right now. Enjoyed the city immensly. I think there is plenty to do there for the tourist. Family oriented type offerings. No problems.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The 2008 rankings for Travel and Leisure just came out. Atlanta is ranked near the bottom of the top 25 in nearly every category. Even the singles scene is ranked low right after Forbes ranked Atlanta the #1 city for singles. The best feature of Atlanta is affordability and even that's #11. I don't think I trust Travel and Leisure's opinion since it ranked Atlanta 23rd out of 25 in attractive people, when I think ATL has some of the most attractive women I've seen.

Here is the link:
America's Favorite Cities 2008 | Atlanta | Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/city/atlanta - broken link)

Atlanta has the best looking women, especially the black women. Most of the women in Miami are only in Miami on vacation. Atlanta is ranked in the top 5 in skylines. I think people just like to hate on Atlanta. I even heard of a study saying Atlanta is the worst city to sleep in...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta