U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:19 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,230,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
Atlanta is very new to the gang culture. The gang problem is not as establish like it is in Chicago and Los Angeles. And to answer your question, Atlanta does not have alot of hispanics in the city limit. There is only 50,000-60,000 hispanics in the city limits. And by the way, that was racist remark what you said about latinos. Not all latinos are like that.
Most of the Hispanic gang activity is centered in Gwinnett, which according to the last census figures has about 150,000 hispanics out of a population of about 700,000. Cobb has about 70,000 and Dekalb 60,000. I really can't think of many hispanic areas in the actual city of Atlanta - maybe the area around Lindberg plaza.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM

288 posts, read 809,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
i understand why the gangs are in the cities but what is the purpose of small towns... there isn"t that many people wanting drugs???????/and not that many kids to recruit???????? it should be easy to show them the door there, not many places to hide?
Another reason say for being in like Gainesville area or surrounding country areas is the chicken coops are up there so alot of the hispanics are able to find work easier up there.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 PM

826 posts, read 2,733,977 times
From what I understand, the Gangs are outside of the City Limits. I have heard that MS-13 is in Dekalb,Gwinnett and Forsyth.

GT- I am sorry that happened to you. I too have a friend who was kidnapped, robbed, and left naked on the street. He was also kidnapped in Buckhead.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM

356 posts, read 1,122,408 times
Default ahhh what did i say...

about latinos? I made no reverence to latinos. I said I'M TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM SPANISH AND I AM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
Atlanta is very new to the gang culture. The gang problem is not as establish like it is in Chicago and Los Angeles. And to answer your question, Atlanta does not have alot of hispanics in the city limit. There is only 50,000-60,000 hispanics in the city limits. And by the way, that was racist remark what you said about latinos. Not all latinos are like that.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,242,451 times
It's more of a trend of crime moving with the sprawl, not that there's "more" bangers out there.

I live in the DC metro area, inside the beltway, and I've lived in other large cities, like NYC and Houston. I had an interview in ATL last week so I am interested in the area. But, I can say after reading the AJC, it's the same news I've read before.

Merlin made a good point above, and I've seen that trend myself. The deep inner cities have been getting "cleaned up" over the last 10-15 years. Some money has moved back in, and the protection from gang activity moves back in with it.

Gangs just followed the sprawl. Maybe 10-15 years ago, these counties (around the US) that are problems now were "middle class." But, as the "middle" moved further out and some of the "upper middle" moved back downtown, those 'hoods went south fast. Now the gang activity seems to have become a problem in these transition zones.

You think it's bad in ATL, take a hard look at micro trends in Houston. The area is growing so fast that within 5 years, some seemingly solid middle-upper middle area has gone from pristine lawns to grafitti marking turf (real tags not kiddie stuff). And these 'hoods are some 30+ miles from downtown.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 PM

107 posts, read 134,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcola110 View Post
Hmmm gang membership is on the raise across the country. Youth that is adding to the numbers. Some areas of the country just haven't made the nightly news yet. We need people joining the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program to volunteer and mentor these young minds. For parents that sit at home all day, too get off their duffs and do something positive with their children and education them on doing good and respecting others.

That's the whole reason why this country has gone to hell hole with these children today. Yes some parents (single & couples) are working long hours to support their families, but darn, know where your kids are at and who they are hanging with. You've brought them a cell phone, call them to find out what they are up too! If you're going to be working all day until late hours, have a responsible neighbor or adult relative too care for and supervise your children until you or one of you arrive home. Stop telling neighbors to "mind their business" if they tell you your children has been misbehaving. M2Cents
Interesting, Id love to join the big brother program, how exactly does it work? I'm on a budget myself though, so how much would I need to spend?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:01 PM

107 posts, read 134,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
My wife had a bad experience with Big Brothers/Big Sisters in the Twin Cities before I met her -- she volunteered to be a Big Sister for a little girl, but the girl's brother had already experienced the Big Brother program with a fairly wealthy single lawyer type who bought him all sorts of things when they spent time together, so she expected my wife (who at the time wasn't really making much money) to let her have $40 or more to spend on stuff every single time they went somewhere. When my wife said no during a trip to the Mall of America (and limited her to $20 to spend), the girl complained to the folks running the program, and my wife decided to drop out because of the hassle. We later learned that the little girl tried this some sort of thing on a few other people and was eventually kicked out of the program.

Needless to say, the chances of her participating again are slim.
Damn I have heard these same type of horror stories, I guess it would take patience to deal with a child like that, for a child to be that cold at a young age is scary, really scary. What type of man will she grow up to want?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 PM

1,756 posts, read 4,919,258 times
Wow, 43 people arrest. Most these guys in their young 20's the 'Gulf Cartel'. Killings, beheadings, drug running, etc. Gotta love how our country handles illegal immigration.

Cracking the cartel: 43 arrested in huge drug ring | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/09/17/gulf_cartel_arrests.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_news tab - broken link)

Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 15,881 times
I think it's pretty funny that some of you "Americans" can't even spell your own language correctly and say such racist remarks against Latinos. Get used to hearing Spanish, by the way, because at the rate it's going I wouldn't be surprised if your children's boss and most co-workers will be Latin and bi-lingual. Good Day

Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 PM

1,756 posts, read 4,919,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilo View Post
I think it's pretty funny that some of you "Americans" can't even spell your own language correctly and say such racist remarks against Latinos. Get used to hearing Spanish, by the way, because at the rate it's going I wouldn't be surprised if your children's boss and most co-workers will be Latin and bi-lingual. Good Day
Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt, so sad.....where's the racist talk, all I can see is facts pointed out and you've obviously taken offense.

I don't have any problems with Latinos. I have problems with illegal latinos and gang bang'n latinos, and actually all illegals and gang bangers regardless of race.....

They're all scum and/or law breakers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or