Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 PM

31 posts, read 126,025 times

Advertisements

Have a question,

I'm looking at moving (again) and already have had experience with two counties. I just wonder if you don't have $300K to spend on a home, are you subject to living in a bad neighborhood?

Being single, I can only afford about $140K. Is there anywhere north (Cobb, Fulton, maybe Gwinett) where I can live in a standalone house in a decent area?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:25 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria25 View Post
Have a question,

I'm looking at moving (again) and already have had experience with two counties. I just wonder if you don't have $300K to spend on a home, are you subject to living in a bad neighborhood?

Being single, I can only afford about $140K. Is there anywhere north (Cobb, Fulton, maybe Gwinett) where I can live in a standalone house in a decent area?

Thanks,
You can certainly find older rambler-style houses for that price in various places in Cobb County, even relatively close to 285, and some of them will have fairly large yards. However, older houses can come with their own set of issues.

Where do you work? Your work location could have a huge impact on where you decide to live, since traffic in the northern suburbs tends to be fairly heavy during rush hour.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:32 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
You have plenty of options in Cherokee County under $140k in good neighborhoods, some of which may only be a few years old.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:31 PM

31 posts, read 126,025 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
You can certainly find older rambler-style houses for that price in various places in Cobb County, even relatively close to 285, and some of them will have fairly large yards. However, older houses can come with their own set of issues.

Where do you work? Your work location could have a huge impact on where you decide to live, since traffic in the northern suburbs tends to be fairly heavy during rush hour.
I work in the Tucker area right now....I did take into consideration transportation...driving it only takes me about 30 minutes, but on public transportation about 2 hrs with bus-train-bus exchanges...

I feel that regardless of where you move to in Atlanta you have to suffer traffic unless you have enough money and tolerance to move into a condo/apartment/townhome within city limits...

I'm really trying to get work in downtown/midtown in hopes that it will shorten my bus-train-bus routine into just one Xpress bus or a bus-train routine....

I also hate having to move into the suburbs and far away from downtown/midtown....right now it only takes me like 15 min to go there for entertainment....but I miss having a piece of land, do not want to be under a HOA, and want piece and quiet....

Old 09-13-2008, 05:59 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,177 times
As a single person who doesn't rake in a ton of cash, I certainly can sympathize with the location/house dilemma. I tend to give location a little more weight because I hate long commutes. However, I do want a decent-sized place and neighborhood. It's not always easy to find that balance.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria25 View Post
I feel that regardless of where you move to in Atlanta you have to suffer traffic unless you have enough money and tolerance to move into a condo/apartment/townhome within city limits...
Assuming you work in Atlanta, of course. Most Atlanta metro residents don't, and I can't think of the last time I was in the City of Atlanta proper for any reason. It's been many months.

Quote:
I also hate having to move into the suburbs and far away from downtown/midtown....right now it only takes me like 15 min to go there for entertainment....but I miss having a piece of land, do not want to be under a HOA, and want piece and quiet....
I think one of the keys to being happy in suburbia is to cut your dependencies on the central city. My wife and I have never really cared about it (be it Minneapolis or Atlanta), so our focus has always been on our location relative to workplaces and other facilities (shipping, restaurants, etc.) that we care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: