U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:25 PM

23 posts, read 64,024 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Tomorrow, I'll be taking a trip to the city (just moved to Alpharetta) and would like to know where to go!! Like in NYC, there are many different neighborhoods to just walk around, shop and eat. Where in midtown can I find walkable streets with lots of outdoor dining and shopping?

Also, I'm planning on going to the Underground first. Does that area also have lots of places to walk around and do touristy stuff?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM

823 posts, read 1,988,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchik0406 View Post
Hello,

Tomorrow, I'll be taking a trip to the city (just moved to Alpharetta) and would like to know where to go!! Like in NYC, there are many different neighborhoods to just walk around, shop and eat. Where in midtown can I find walkable streets with lots of outdoor dining and shopping?

Also, I'm planning on going to the Underground first. Does that area also have lots of places to walk around and do touristy stuff?

Thanks!!
DO NOT under any circumstances go to Underground. It is not worth it. There is nothing worth seeing in that area of downtown.

Go to Virginia Highlands.

Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia

Old 09-13-2008, 07:37 PM

360 posts, read 869,861 times
I think around 10th and Piedmont and that general area is pretty cool, all the way down to Ponce de Leon Ave.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 PM

13 posts, read 28,901 times
Your best bets are probably Midtown and Virginia-Highland. Or, for a little more bohemian flavor, Little Five Points and East Atlanta.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,810,850 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
For "touristy" stuff you might want to go to the Centennial Olympic Park area with the Georgia Aquarium, CNN Center, the Coke Museum, etc. Although I don't know if you can walk-up and get tickets at the Aquarium nowadays or if you still need to get them ahead of time.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:09 AM

3,636 posts, read 8,805,370 times
Underground is ok, but it won't kill you to skip it. The only thing really good about that area is that the Five Points Station is where the two MARTA lines connect. I would recommend: Midtown (Peachtree between North Ave. and 14th Street), Piedmont Park, Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points, and Atlantic Station. Downtown has a few things like the Centennial Park area and the Hotel District (Westin Peachtree and the Hyatt).

You won't need a car for any of these places. Most of them are close to a MARTA station, except for VaHi and Atlantic Station. You can go to VaHi by the #45 bus from Midtown Station, which also stops by the south gate of Piedmont Park (at 10th and Charles Allen Dr.). For Atlantic Station, you can catch a free shuttle from the Arts Center Station. You can also go to L5P from VaHi or Poncey-Highland by the #6 bus which runs along Moreland Ave.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:06 AM

155 posts, read 677,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
DO NOT under any circumstances go to Underground. It is not worth it. There is nothing worth seeing in that area of downtown.

I second that!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 AM

23 posts, read 64,024 times
Thanks so much for all of the help!! I will try to check out as many places as I can today. I'll keep it all in mind, for future reference as well.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:30 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,144,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Underground is ok, but it won't kill you to skip it.
or it actually may kill you if you don't skip it. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 PM

109 posts, read 435,989 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for all of the help!! I will try to check out as many places as I can today. I'll keep it all in mind, for future reference as well.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
So where did you end up going? How did it compare with NYC?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta