U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:50 PM

20 posts, read 57,607 times

Advertisements

I Am Not To Sure Which One To Go To Atlanta Or Houston!
I Like Them Both But Atlanta Looks Like They Pay Very Little And I Don't Want To Live Really Poor, And Houston People Keep Saying Things About Also! Anyone Have Any Idea Which Is Better. I Am A Secretary And I Wold Be Moving With My Son
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 AM

9,129 posts, read 21,758,966 times
Hard call. Houston is actually hotter and more humid than Atlanta in the summer, has slightly worse traffic (though both are hell on the roads) and is a bit more prone to damage from hurricanes whereas Atlanta is more inland. Illegal immigration issues are a bit higher there as well.

Atlanta seems to be a bit worse in the overall crime department though, and you see more in terms of tense race relations here than you do in Houston. Atlanta does however, have more trees and is much more of a "green" city than Houston.

Houston was hit hard after Katrina, taking in tons of Katrina refugees who didn't leave after everything calmed down. Varied news reports have reported that certain crimes have soared in the Houston area as a result, since some of the people who relocated there were criminals. To a degree that happened in Atlanta too, though we didn't get as large a number of bad apples that Houston did.

If I just HAD to pick one, I might lean toward Houston just because you can get to a beach easily from there, as well as it not being too huge a drive from other more varied Texas cities.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:17 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,746,794 times
Houston definitely is hotter and more humid than Atlanta in the spring and summer. Atlanta is colder than Houston in the winter. Traffic sucks in both areas, and pretty much for the same basic reasons.

In both cities and their outlying suburbs, there's an undercurrent of racial tensions. White and non-white should accept relative blame for it. But both areas are experiencing a lot of relocation by people from other parts of the country (and the world), so hopefully more new people will change that old dynamic.

The economy in Atlanta seems like it's a little more diverse and varied than Houston, which still relies significantly on the oil and gas industry. At the same time, Houston may be a bit cheaper than Atlanta in terms of cost of housing.

Not sure if you have kids, but look into things like natural museums, zoos, parks, etc., and compare. Atlanta just recently realized that there's more to a city than its past. While it's extremely important to retain and preserve all of our Civil Rights history, our leaders have only recently realized that a city can only be viable if keeps all families in mind. In that sense, the Georgia Aquarium is great. But some of the other attractions are a bit over-priced for what they are. I imagine that Houston is pretty similar in trying to catch up and bring back families that have fled to the suburbs for their recreation.

All in all, I'd pick Atlanta.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:06 PM

30 posts, read 124,081 times
Houston and Atlanta were also my top choices as well. I can't really give much input on pay. I am a teacher and pay was about the same for both. But Texas has no state income tax, so you get a little break there BUT I think (according to people who I know who have moved there) the property taxes are way higher than Georgia. The weather!!! Oh my goodness, summer heat in Atlanta is bad enough, but Houston is just down right miserable! I have never been to a place that is steaming hot at midnight! And the big cockroaches, gross! Not to mention several people have told me about the flooding that occurs yearly in certain areas of the city, so be careful. Houston has a great arts culture, lots of nice museums, theatre, like the best in the south. Lots of great shopping (but so does Atlanta, to me at least). I do not think Houston is any more diverse or has any less race problems than the Atlanta area, seemed the same to me. There is a more even mix of people I guess, larger Hispanic and Asian population, although Atlanta is becoming more diverse (others besides White or Black). Housing is definetly cheaper in Houston and all over Texas, a lot cheaper from my research and people who I know who have recently moved to both places, BUT property taxes might make up the difference. All that said, I still picked Atlanta, overall, just liked it better, closer to Florida (where I currently live) and the physical environment is just more pleasant and prettier. Houston is so flat, and pollution is worse statistically, air quality and water quality. Atlanta is bad enough for people with allergies and asthma, most parts of Texas are much worse. I know I have spent time in both places and overall, I feel more comfortable in Georgia, I can breath better and I love the Aquarium. Plus those horrible Texas summers!!!! I don't want summers worse than Florida! Traffic seemed worse to me, granted I have only traveled in rush hour maybe 4 or 5 times in each, but there are more people using roads in Houston, its still bigger than Atlanta and growing just as fast as Atlanta. A

Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 70,248 times
[
WHAT!!!!!!!! ATLANATA IS WAY WAY BETTER SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!
iam living in houston and i totally hate it it is like a broken small lame city and the schools here suck.
Atlanta is a greater city in the night it is the city of lights Atlanta has many fun tourist sites its a more family city its warm and comfortable. Georgia has the best schools system in the whole United States. I use to live in Atlanta and Iam a teacher and I had to move here but if God lets me I hope I Will be moving back to Atlanta with in this year. Trust me Atlanta is the city to go to. It Gorgeous!! Atlanta is one of the citys that is growing tremendously fast here in the USA it has one of the best city planning. It is fresh and safe. Many churches as know Atlanta is the promised city of prosperous of our Lord Jesus as many ministries have been shown in visions and dreams that in ATLANTA there is coming a tremendous Move of the holy spirit. He loves Atlanta as you can see Atlanta dosent have many tornados or hurracanes or any of that it is full of green enviorment which means fresh clean pure air not like houston which is dirty and full of holes in the streets its city plannings are small and it has a lot of ugly phone pole. houston is totally an ugly bad city to live in. Atlanta has many traffic around 5-9am and 3-8pm but only on the freeways. Atlantas freeways are awesome they are so nicely made. Wow just talking about Atlanta makes me feel dumb because I moved to this Terrible city of houston. ugghhh!!!!!!! Wow Atlanta is just PERFECT♥!!!!! Hope you decide good and i hope you dont regret it like i did!! Bye♥

Last edited by iloveatlantacity; 09-23-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM

WHAT!!!!!!!! ATLANATA IS WAY WAY BETTER SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!
iam living in houston and i totally hate it it is like a broken small lame city and the schools here suck.
Atlanta is a greater city in the night it is the city of lights Atlanta has many fun tourist sites its a more family city its warm and comfortable. Georgia has the best schools system in the whole United States. I use to live in Atlanta and Iam a teacher and I had to move here but if God lets me I hope I Will be moving back to Atlanta with in this year. Trust me Atlanta is the city to go to. It Gorgeous!! Atlanta is one of the citys that is growing tremendously fast here in the USA it has one of the best city planning. It is fresh and safe. Many churches as know Atlanta is the promised city of prosperous of our Lord Jesus as many ministries have been shown in visions and dreams that in ATLANTA there is coming a tremendous Move of the holy spirit. He loves Atlanta as you can see Atlanta dosent have many tornados or hurracanes or any of that it is full of green enviorment which means fresh clean pure air not like houston which is dirty and full of holes in the streets its city plannings are small and it has a lot of ugly phone pole. houston is totally an ugly bad city to live in. Atlanta has many traffic around 5-9am and 3-8pm but only on the freeways. Atlantas freeways are awesome they are so nicely made. Wow just talking about Atlanta makes me feel dumb because I moved to this Terrible city of houston. ugghhh!!!!!!! Wow Atlanta is just PERFECT♥!!!!! Hope you decide good and i hope you dont regret it like i did!! Bye♥

Last edited by iloveatlantacity; 09-23-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM

ATLANTA = THE NEW YORK OF THE SOUTH

Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM

GEORGIA AQUARIUM WORLD BIGGEST IN ATLANTA GEORGIA!!!!

THE COCA COLA WORLD in ATLANTA

THE CNN CENTER IN ATLANTA!!!!!

http://galenfrysinger.org/atlanta/zoo28.jpg (broken link)
ZOO ATLANTA THE BIGGEST ZOO IN THE SOUTH OF USA!!!

WORLD ONLY BIGGEST STONE!!!!!!!! IN ATLANTA!!! STONE MOUNTAIN PARK ATL

SIX FLAGS OVER GEORGIA ATLANTA!!!!!!

CENTENIAL PARK ATLANTA!!!!!!

FOX THEATER IN ATLANTA!!!!

ATLANTAS FERNBANK MUSEUM!!!!!! AWESOME INTRESTING MUSEUM!!!

THE MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. SITE!!!

http://ncslade.com/Underground_Atlanta_2006__1.jpg (broken link)
STORES UNDERGROUND ATLANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNDER THE GROUND!!! TOTALLY COOL!!!!

The PHILIPS ARENA IN ATLANTA!!!! BASKETBALL AND HOCKEY STADIUM!! HOME OF THE ATL HAWKS AND ATL TRASHERS!!!

ATLANTA DOME!!!! GEORGIA DOME!!! HOME OF THE ATL FALCONS!!!!!!

WHOOO ATLANTA TURNER FIELD!!!! HOME OF THE ATLANTA BRAVES BASEBALL THE BEST!!!!!

ATLANTA HAS MANY MORE FUN SITES!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM

704 posts, read 603,118 times
“Every time I look at Atlanta I see what a quarter of a million Confederate soldiers died to prevent.”–John Shelton Reed

I'm partial to Houston. Lived there a long time.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 19,623 times
I currently live in Atlanta (Smyrna to be exact) and I've been thinking about visiting Houston within the next few months. How's the arts/culture scene in Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta