U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Tired of hearing the brothers and sisters babble! Move on, cause I am!
HES BACKKKK!!! UGHHHHHH.LOL Seriously though we may disagree but i wish nothing but happines and I hope that you achieve your dreams in spite of your beliefs because i know color is only skin deep,do whats right in the eyes of god and treat all people on an individual basis and thats all that matters.Gob bless you my fellow American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM

230 posts, read 616,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
HES BACKKKK!!! UGHHHHHH.LOL Seriously though we may disagree but i wish nothing but happines and I hope that you achieve your dreams in spite of your beliefs because i know color is only skin deep,do whats right in the eyes of god and treat all people on an individual basis and thats all that matters.Gob bless you my fellow American.
Very well said!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Obama has WHITE in him, period! He doesn't have strong BLACK features. You can look at him and see that he's MIXED.

You admit that NO black country is an ECONOMIC POWERHOUSE. So, how did the white man destroy this country. And, how is a MIXED man going to fix it?

By the way, the banks were PRESSURED into giving loans to minorities with low income or poor credit. Do some research and find out WHY the housing market crashed the way it is. Banks changed their 'lending pratices' because of the new laws and penalties that were inacted.

Obama, played a role in ALL this too. I don't have the energy or time to go into ALL the details. Do some research, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Obama has WHITE in him, period! He doesn't have strong BLACK features. You can look at him and see that he's MIXED
Ethiopian have facial features that are more caucasian than what you and media potrays as AFRICAN.Sudaneese and Somalian have those same bone structures but are usually darker skinned.So your notion of what is "strong black social features are directly proportionate to your lack of knowledge about the history,geographical and ethnic makeup of what is AFRICAN.

As far as banks being pressured to give just blacks loans could be partially true.If you accept this then there must have been a reason for this.Also because of those loans the banks got rich of this lending.It was'nt to muich arm pulling when they dicovered how much money they were making.It got out of hand.It TAKES TWO TO TANGO!!You really need to go to the suburbs in CT and NYC and see and here in Atlanta,its not just "black neighborhoods in the suburbs where you see forclosures.And theese condo everywhere in the city,blacks are not the ones that were gobbling them up by themselves.You mentioned this yourself.It seems you use your arguments when its convienat for you.Be a man and think on your own.Its not about US VS THEM.Its about what can WE do to make it better for ALL not some.
You talk about blacks in AMerica,What you fail to grasp is that blacks in Europe are not the class that has low test scores and problems with crime.Read thi article and tell me if we are predisposed to violence and inferiority,then how come our African and Carribean counterparts are doing well?

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | Black girls overtake white boys

Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,901,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Only a Yankee would call Atlanta chilly.
Actually, I wouldn't. Chilly is 0 degrees F. Cold is -20F and below. Anything above zero is tee-shirt-and-shorts weather.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,793 times
I was born and raised in Chicago. Lived in Atlanta for 3 years. It is an adjustment for sure. All I can say is embrace your Yankee cuz you are truly in for a few lessons about the South.
I love Chicago and it will always be home. I will tell anybody that the major benefits are a better quality of life and winters are mild. That's what I have to remind myself.
As for the social elite, don't believe all that you read or hear in that area. Do believe the materialism and social climbing. Meanwhile, keep the foreclosures in mind when you see all the Bentleys and Benzes.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up Forget The DISAGREEMENT!!MOVE FORWARD NOT BACKWARD!!

Quote:
Tired of hearing the brothers and sisters babble! Move on, cause I am!
I just wanted to right you a note to say I do not think you are racist but you can't lump all black people together.I believe in right and wrong,whether you are black or white.If we can agree on that then we can be make a difference by fixing the problem and stop blaming.That was not my intent when I brought up white flight.I was making the point because everything people do,there is a cause and effect.We are stuck in this country TOGETHER.We have to acknowledge that we are all guilty for PEOPLE white or black who are poor and desparate.This has nothing to with color.Yet history always plays a roll in the future.You know the saying that "those who do not know the evils of history are doomed to repeat it"?All im saying is even if you do not agree ,you must be flexible enough to compromise.Take people as individuals and go from there.Its for the sake of this country and our future that WE ALL fix these problems that eventually will only consume ALL of us .A Russian,Chineese or Iranian does not care about race in this country.911 should keep people aware of this.Just remember whats right and whats wrong.Anyway i just wanted to say peace to you.I will also post this on the other post as well.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 PM

668 posts, read 2,031,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip1980 View Post
atlanta by a long shot........

Too much crime in chicago
- over 30 people got shot during the beginning of the summer in chicago in one weekend
every city has bad neighborhoods, bad things happen in bad neighborhoods- little fun fact.

-everything shuts down in chicago from winter to early/late spring
uh...no....

- too cold
- more expensive
- chicago nightclubs close early
yeah, i know, 5 am is a really early time in the day!

- its in the midwest, the midwest is boring
georgia... Woohoo?...

- no beaches nearby (lake michigan isnt a beach)
yes... It is...

- chicago is alive mostly in the summer, atlanta has something to do all the time
unlike people from the south, chicagoans don't develope a spontaneous case of down syndrome when it's cold out, life goes on; the city is just as alive in the winter as it is in the summer, minus the beach.

- chicago has a 2nd largest gang population outside of la
- atlanta has way more stuff to go for african americans than chicago
don't know what this means, but chicago african-americans seem pretty happy to me (i am mexican)

- atlanta is more of a black mecca than chicago
ew, diversity, yeah i know it sucks. But since we're on the subject of segregation and outcasting other races, lewis farrakhan does live here. can't top that one can you?

- chicago doesnt have all black neighborhoods like cascade, camp creek, etc
wow, you're dumb, chicago has the second highest population of blacks in the whole country, dominant black neighborhoods take up what seems like most of the city, including hyde park, bronzeville, kenwood, calumet, douglas and many many more on the south side, and not to mention the west side, such as the lawndale neighborhoods, ****, even little pockets on the north side such as rogers park (for the most part). Where'd you stay, lincoln park?

- atlanta nightlife is better than chicago for african americans
this doesn't even make any sense. I don't know what makes nightlife better for african americans, but if you mean playing "hip-hop/rap", just about every club/party that isnt a rave plays it, enjoyed by all blacks (bein the majority, btw), whites n latinos alike. Oh wait, i forgot, diversity...ew...

- chicago doesnt have any black colleges
-atlanta has more plays, concerts, parties, etc geared for african americans than chicago
wrong! If you wanna talk about parties n concerts (which i am too familiar with), chicago has a huuuuge hip-hop/rap scene, both mainstream and underground, not to mention the king of rnb r. Kelly. In addition, the majority of chicago's rap music has a positive influence on the listeners, stressing politics, education, crime, etc. Unlike atlanta's dirty south scene (which i do enjoy, don't mistake), that promotes nuttin but slangin, guns, jewelry, whips n ho's... Real good role models there i guess... I do love gucci mane tho...

Either take more time to explore this city or do more research!!! For real , that **** pissed me off.

- chicago is a nice place to visit but i would not move there....too cold, more expensive, more crime, etc
k

Old 10-12-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
To respond with my opinion.

Too much crime in Chicago
- Over 30 people got shot during the beginning of the summer in Chicago

This was in one area, as with Chicago most of the crime originates in the South or West side. Atanta? Pick it.-

Everything shuts down in Chicago from winter to early/late spring

Ok, the ice Cream parlors do

- Too cold

Tis crispy. If you hate the cold. Well, yer boogers do freeze in January

- More expensive

IMO, it is equal to Atlanta. Outside of housing costs. I found groceries to be cheaper

- Chicago nightclubs close early

Early? Been to many that went well into the morning hours. The main benefit was walking outside at 2am in Chicago without the fear of being jacked or panhandled to death.

- Its in the midwest, the midwest is boring

Maybe in Iowa

- No beaches nearby (Lake Michigan isnt a beach)
Neither is Lake Lanier, Lake Oconee, or the fountain at Olympic Park. Oh! you mean the one 5 hours down the road, well 5 hours if you can beat the Atlanta traffic. And yes, that would be the beach in SOUTH CAROLINA not GEORGIA. Again, which is 300 miles from Atlanta!!

Next?[/quote]
Quote:
Neither is Lake Lanier, Lake Oconee, or the fountain at Olympic Park. Oh! you mean the one 5 hours down the road, well 5 hours if you can beat the Atlanta traffic. And yes, that would be the beach in SOUTH CAROLINA not GEORGIA. Again, which is 300 miles from Atlanta!!
I missed this before but Savannah is only a 3.5 hr drive.Furthermore Georgia has of has over 100 miles of coastline on the Atlantic Ocean.While not flooded with tourist like Hilton Head or Florida Beaches, many of Georgia beaches or pristine national seashores owned by the government like Cumberland Island or Mobil rated 5 star resorts that cater to the ultra wealthy like Sea Island where the G-* summit was held just 3years ago.

As far as Crime,right and over the last couple of years crime is down significantly in Atlanta,while in Chicago the there has been a Crime surge.The crime happens in the same areas most of the time just like it does in Chicago.It maybe that you know Chicago better than you do Atlanta if you think its any different.
I love Atlanta and i love Chicago after, but just trying to keep the facts straight

I just realized you answer this already .Just thought id put in my 2 cents

Last edited by afonega1; 10-12-2008 at 02:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta