U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:23 PM

263 posts, read 1,006,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
I know you have all the best intentions .. but you're got a full force garden hose of ATL "kool-aid" going into everyone's mouth. Much too much of a hard "sell". We're ignoring the OP original request(s) also.

Just telling the truth

If someone ask if Florida has beaches and I say yes, its not a hard sell, its the truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 PM

374 posts, read 967,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Most those shootings happen in the black ghettos of the south and west side. If you're black with a decent job, you wont live there. The northside of Chicago is very nice.
Truthfully my family lived on the southside for years dating back to when Ella Fitzgerald and Nat king Cole lived on the southside. Alot of prominent African Americans still til this day live on the Southside. Barack Obama spent most of his years on the Southside. Most African Americans reside on the southside and westside because for years blacks were not allowed to live on the Northside. The Southside and Westside are alot cheaper than the Northside. Also theres been alot more shootings on the Northside than before especially around the Lathrop Homes and Rogers Park. And now you have more blacks with decent jobs moving back into the city in areas that once used to be projects and now are townhouses and condiminiums.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:31 PM

230 posts, read 616,177 times
Thanks for the tip Roslyn. My interest is with juveniles and shuttig down facilites in the Atlanta area would not serve me at all. Sounds horrible to say, but I need more crime and opportunities to use resources and create new ones, not closing of ones.

Thanks

Old 09-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Oh, WOW!! Thanks so much Mr. Guy. That was very nice of you. If I get the job, I will be sure to come back on here and let all of you know, so stay tuned in the coming weeks for a post about what happened on the interviews.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:35 PM

100 posts, read 359,011 times
MLogan, I am an educated young black male as yourself and have lived in both cities In my opinion I think you should choose Chicago. I bought into the hype that Atlanta is great for black people, and moving to Atlanta did help me put my foot in the door into the industry at right now. However the thing about Atlanta, Charlotte and the other fast growing cities you hear about is that they everybody is buying into the hype and when they do move they end up being disappointed. If you read many of the posts here about people moving and being unable to find a job for months, that tells the story. Even though I started my career in Atlanta, I just could not help to think what if I did not ace that interview, would I be like the many folks who came here with no plan and struggling to make ends meet? Make no mistake it is great meeting many successful black men and women, and it is great to see most companies in Atlanta area make it an emphasis to hire only black men and women. Overall Atlanta is a great place for black people in my opinion.

It is just that Atlanta is just too overcrowded, with many talented people. Competition is good, but chances are the job you have applied for, 1000 more people are applying for that same position. That was the reason why I relocated to another state within my company for a better position, to my dismay, where I am at right now sucks

Chicago in my opinion balances itself in my opinion. You get the best of both worlds, culture, diversity in certain neighborhoods, the overall environment is great, and within your field I believe Chicago is the best fit for you. It is not as pro black as other cities, but it does have a large black population, and it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The unemployment rate is high, but I am pretty sure that their are underlying factors on why that is the case.

Right now if I was put into a situation on choosing where to go I would pick Chicago. The culture and the overall environment can help you get take your mind off of things temporarily, and it is just a great city. My best advice is to do what you want and do not put to much on what the people on this board including me are saying.

MLogan, my question to you is that you are near Philadelphia to the north, Baltimore in the south, New York City and DC are just two hours away, why not look into those cities too? All of those cities have significant black populations with large urban areas experiencing problems with crime. Just wondering...

Old 09-14-2008, 04:39 PM

862 posts, read 773,883 times
Huh ? A world class city for Coca-Cola town

Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM

629 posts, read 697,711 times
Rogers Park does have a decent size black population. The blacks ARE allowed to live on the NIORTHSIDE in 2008'. There are neighborhoods on the southside that are better than others. I did say "MOST" of the shootings happen there, not "ALL". Point is, how many drive-bys have you heard about involving a 'car load' of 'white boys', or 'indians', or 'jews'? A neighborhood that is 98% black is going to be more dangerous than one that is 98% of the other races I just used as example. I'm not being racist either. Nobody can dispute the fact that, for the most part, blacks kill blacks. And their neighborhoods are way more dangerous.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 PM

Actually, Welder, I would live in a black community in either the south or west side. I am an African-American female and wholeheartedly believe that one of the ways to change and rebuild a community is to do it from the outside in. Sometimes, inner-city youth and black youth cannot see or sense your sincerity in helping them if you live in the best upper-echalon neighborhood and cannot relate to any of their experiences. This way, when I do live in that nice house, these same kids will see that they have the ability to do it as well. Because if I made it in that area the so can they.

BTW, I have been on the Chicago Forums website and many of then do not paint a pretty picture of the Northside of Chicago. Yes, they say crime is less, but I have heard many of them say, do not be fooled, because crime is prevalent is certain parts of the northside.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
MLogan, I am an educated young black male as yourself and have lived in both cities In my opinion I think you should choose Chicago. I bought into the hype that Atlanta is great for black people, and moving to Atlanta did help me put my foot in the door into the industry at right now. However the thing about Atlanta, Charlotte and the other fast growing cities you hear about is that they everybody is buying into the hype and when they do move they end up being disappointed. If you read many of the posts here about people moving and being unable to find a job for months, that tells the story. Even though I started my career in Atlanta, I just could not help to think what if I did not ace that interview, would I be like the many folks who came here with no plan and struggling to make ends meet? Make no mistake it is great meeting many successful black men and women, and it is great to see most companies in Atlanta area make it an emphasis to hire only black men and women. Overall Atlanta is a great place for black people in my opinion.

It is just that Atlanta is just too overcrowded, with many talented people. Competition is good, but chances are the job you have applied for, 1000 more people are applying for that same position. That was the reason why I relocated to another state within my company for a better position, to my dismay, where I am at right now sucks

Chicago in my opinion balances itself in my opinion. You get the best of both worlds, culture, diversity in certain neighborhoods, the overall environment is great, and within your field I believe Chicago is the best fit for you. It is not as pro black as other cities, but it does have a large black population, and it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The unemployment rate is high, but I am pretty sure that their are underlying factors on why that is the case.

Right now if I was put into a situation on choosing where to go I would pick Chicago. The culture and the overall environment can help you get take your mind off of things temporarily, and it is just a great city. My best advice is to do what you want and do not put to much on what the people on this board including me are saying.

MLogan, my question to you is that you are near Philadelphia to the north, Baltimore in the south, New York City and DC are just two hours away, why not look into those cities too? All of those cities have significant black populations with large urban areas experiencing problems with crime. Just wondering...
Xenourtv,
I am actually an African-American female . I have looked in those areas that you listed as well, actually went to Noforlk State University (NSU) straight out of high school, but came back home to DE and ended up finishing up at St. Joseph's Universtiy. I was actually born and raised until the age of 10 in Philadelphia, still have family there, but it is not somewere I would like to live again, although I can do excellent in my career. Reason being is that, I want to get away from the East Coast or at least the Upper East Coast, anything Delaware and above. The DC/MD/VA areas is #2 on my list for relocating and I have applied out there for a few jobs, but just got a call back from Chicago first and to be honest I think my heart is there too in Chicago. Not too mention, that I am single, and hear that good old Chocolate City is a hub for homosexuality, like Atlanta and the DL brothers, so to speak, so that kind of turns me off from those cities too.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:54 PM

629 posts, read 697,711 times
You've been to the "Chicago Forums"? LOL Did you ever hear the expression "Don't believe nothing you hear, and only half what you see"? Cyber travelling is alot different than doing the REAL thing. There are pockets of bad areas on the northside (just like every city in the ENTIRE world). Nowhere near what the far west side or south side is like. Go buy your home on the west or south side and help the youth out, best of luck to you. I love how people always got to mention how there's crime here or there. The difference between the northside and southside, may be a purse snatching vs armed robbery. I read the "Chicago Forum", LOL LOL LOL I'm still laughing at that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta