U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 AM

7 posts, read 17,431 times

Advertisements

My GF and I are thinking of relocating to warmer climate Atlanta area seems nice, prices don't seem to bad either, we have been checking out Acworth to live in. How is the crime around that area and overall living?

We see so many cheap houses around Atlanta , plenty of homes around 30k , must be really ghetto areas with high crime rate which worries me a bit, I don't want to be cought in a cross fire in a gang shoot out, is it that bad there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 AM

9,129 posts, read 21,774,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novasiouxfalls View Post
We see so many cheap houses around Atlanta , plenty of homes around 30k , must be really ghetto areas with high crime rate which worries me a bit, I don't want to be cought in a cross fire in a gang shoot out, is it that bad there?
Um.. where exactly are these $30k homes? I've seen a few on Craigs list. Generally, they are in sketchy intown areas and/or are in such bad shape it would take lots of time and $$ to get them "move-in ready". Generally, Acworth is an overall decent area, though others will have to give you more specifics as to exactly where to avoid there.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM

I looked in Atlanta and there was like 370 homes under 60k in and lot's of them don't even look that bad so the only thing I can think is they are in horrible neighborhoods where no one wants to live.

here is the link to search results that Im talking about
Real Estate at Homes.Com for ATLANTA, GA

Old 09-15-2008, 01:22 PM

9,129 posts, read 21,774,336 times
Quote:
I looked in Atlanta and there was like 370 homes under 60k in and lot's of them don't even look that bad so the only thing I can think is they are in horrible neighborhoods where no one wants to live.
Keep in mind that just because a house "doesn't look too bad", it doesn't mean that there are some incredibly expensive problem with it that you can't see from a photo of the exterior. Electrical, plumbing, foundation issues, structural issues, etc. And yes, if you go some google mapping, you'll probably find that many of these are in areas you do not want to reside in (well, unless you're brave and like a challenge).

Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 PM

is it mostly black areas that are like that or what?

Old 09-15-2008, 02:18 PM

1,652 posts, read 1,992,398 times
Quote:
is it mostly black areas that are like that or what?
I mean, what is with white people? Do all whites think that all predominantly Black neighborhoods have shootouts? No, the issue is economic -- look at poor white neighborhoods and let me know if you think they are safe. To answer your question, generally, the cheaper the house and the neighborhood, the poorer the inhabitants and the higher the crime. Period.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,700,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
I mean, what is with white people? Do all whites think that all predominantly Black neighborhoods have shootouts?
Obviously not. Do all black folks think we have that attitude?

Painting all whites with a broad brush won't help the misunderstandings that sometimes occur about black neighborhoods.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 PM

171 posts, read 473,602 times
Quote:
I mean, what is with white people? Do all whites think that all predominantly Black neighborhoods have shootouts? No, the issue is economic -- look at poor white neighborhoods and let me know if you think they are safe. To answer your question, generally, the cheaper the house and the neighborhood, the poorer the inhabitants and the higher the crime. Period.
Its not white people, it's the media that delivers the perception that an area with high concentration of poor blacks in any part of nation are bad because of crime stats. The media just doesn't concentrate on what's happening in the poor white neighborhoods all that often because it's minimum in fact.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:37 PM

481 posts, read 2,027,402 times
Quote:

here is the link to search results that Im talking about
Real Estate at Homes.Com for ATLANTA, GA
I'm not going to sugarcoat it - those homes are in terrible, very undesirable, high crime areas. The houses themselves look like they are in pretty bad condition. Those are in the poorer neighborhoods within or close to Atlanta city limits.

Then again, if your budget is that low, you don't really have any better options with getting farther away from the city of Atlanta.

If you found a house in that budget in Acworth though it's probably safer and better. Acworth is a far suburb of Atlanta. It's not ghetto but more redneck. It's basically a rural town that is being engulfed by suburban development. Acworth zip codes cover a huge area across 4 counties, and you will find everything from million dollar homes to trashed little shacks. Acworth is fairly low crime overall, much lower than similar houses in the cheap areas of Atlanta city limits.

I looked at the zip codes that those houses are in. Demographic data for those zip codes:

30310 37,394 population $37,361 average household income 665 crime index
30314 29,683 population $27,177 average household income 546 crime index
30315 44,616 population $30,761 average household income 400 crime index
30316 34,263 population $45,595 average household income 363 crime index

Average crime index in United States is 100. Average household income in GA is $62,744 and in USA is $65,527.
For comparison, average suburban areas in Atlanta:

30214 24,693 population $87,591 average household income 38 crime index (Fayetteville)
30043 88,032 population $88,038 average household income 31 crime index (Lawrenceville/North Gwinnett)
30080 49,326 population $62,433 average household income 97 crime index (Cumberland/South Cobb)
30022 66,688 population $132,096 average household income 115 crime index (Alpharetta/Johns Creek)
30068 34,069 population $130,339 average household income 64 crime index (East Cobb)
30064 47,966 population $85,240 average household income 117 crime index (Marietta/West Cobb)
30101 47,395 population $76,687 average household income 109 crime index (Acworth)

That last zip code is one of the Acworth zip codes. As you can see, crime is about US average. I don't know what zip code the Acworth house you found is in. If you tell me the zip I can tell you the crime index for the zip code.

Last edited by GF72; 09-15-2008 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Well actually if you look at prison population all over USA you will see there is much much higher crime rate with black community.
not to put down blacks , I am not even from USA originally and I have no preference on race but Facts speak for themselves I would rather live in a redneck white trash trailer park community than in a gang banging poor black community
I came originally from eastern Europe and there is a lot of poor communities that truly have nothing but I have never seen such disregard for human life, honestly, modesty and all good virtues as I have seen in poor black and Latino communities in USA.

"In every state, the proportion of blacks in prison exceeds, sometimes by a considerable amount, their proportion in the general population (Figure 2). In Minnesota and Iowa, blacks constitute a share of the prison population that is twelve times greater than their share of the state population. In eleven states -- Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming --the percentage of the prison population that is black is more than six times greater than the percentage of the state population that is black"

Last edited by novasiouxfalls; 09-30-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta