Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,693,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
No foreclosure crises in alabama, yeah, I think Alabama is happy not being Georgia.

Are you kidding????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 03:38 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,823,272 times
This Civil rights center should be build in columbus,not atlanta.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:02 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
I just don't want it to turn out to be dinky. 30,000 sf is not huge, and it's going in there right next to the Aquarium and the World of Coke.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,994,443 times
Can APD donate a few uniforms from the Red Dog unit for the Atlanta Eagle exhibit?

Oh, wait, I'm sure they are only going to care about the civil rights of African Americans.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:25 PM

23 posts, read 34,717 times
With all respect, I follow history (especially southern) very well. So, can you please specify what piviotal role that Atlanta played in the Civil Rights Movement?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:48 PM

23 posts, read 34,717 times
Yeah, Columbus or Albany, GA.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 AM

4,823 posts, read 6,060,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray7000 View Post
With all respect, I follow history (especially southern) very well. So, can you please specify what piviotal role that Atlanta played in the Civil Rights Movement?
Before the civil right movement of the 50s and 60s. Booker T Washington wrote "the atlanta compromise", W. E. B. Du Bois wrote his earliest writings in Atlanta "the souls of black folk". Marcus Garvey was sent to the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary. Booker T Washington, W. E. B. Du Bois, and Marcus Garvey philosophies, influence the leaders of the civil right moment. There philosophies were very different regarding civil rights, and they strongly disagree with each other regarding there views. But oddly enough all 3 of them, Atlanta played a pivotal role in there lives, there views and staging them.
The Atlanta Compromise
Booker T. Washington Delivers the 1895 Atlanta Compromise Speech

Of the Wings of Atalanta, from The souls of black folk
V. Of the Wings of Atalanta. Du Bois, W. E. B. 1903. The Souls of Black Folk

A Litany Of Atlanta
A Litany Of Atlanta by W E B Du Bois Classic Famous Poet - All Poetry.

First Message to the Negroes of the World From Atlanta Prison
Marcus Garvey, First Message to the Negroes of the World from Atlanta Prison

Atlanta is MLK home town The SCLC was locate in Atlanta during the civial right movement and still is. This is the civil right organization that MLK lead, The Albany Movement, The Birmingham campaign, The Selma to Montgomery marches and etc was blue printed in Atlanta.
Southern Christian Leadership Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me also point out the Atlanta Student Movement, and the Committee on the Appeal for Human Rights was located in Atlanta during the civil right movement. Committee on the Appeal for Human Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta Student Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Because Atlanta's large number of HBCUs CORE and SNCC also had a large presence in Atlanta.
Atlanta in the Civil Rights Movement

The United States National Student Association locate there headquarters in Atlanta during the early 60s.
National Student Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post civil rights movement era The carter center is in Atlanta.
The Carter Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Region IV Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for the deep south, (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee) is located in Atlanta.
Office for Civil Rights - Headquarters and Regional Addresses

A nick name of Atlanta and how the city was promoted during the 60s was "the city too busy to hate" While there were conflicts in Atlanta before and during the civil rights movement, race riots and the race wall. Atlanta's "piviotal" role during the movement and what the city is noted for being the unofficial headquarters of the movement, Check out ebenezer baptist church, AUC, Paschal and etc. As opposed to Birmingham which is seem more of a battle field city, The Birmingham campaign.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray7000 View Post
I agree that Atlanta was not ground zero for the civil rights movement, and (fortunately) it was not in the headlines like Alabama or Mississippi. There was certainly conflict here, but Atlanta brought a little more sophistication to the table than some of the rabid Deep South areas. Business and civic leaders liked to claim Atlanta was "the city too busy to hate" (translation: "Please move your business here." While that wasn't exactly the case, whites and blacks did for the most part proceed under a process of gradual accommodation.

Whether that would be deemed "pivotal" is subjective, but it's hardly as if Atlanta was out of the loop.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,739,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Are you kidding????
Yeh...he went there!!LOL

Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,739,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I like the way they decided that they'd build it in stages before they confirmed with the designers that it can be built in stages. From what I recall of the renderings and layouts that I saw, the project doesn't really lend itself well to staged construction, unless they plan to construct the whole shell, and only fitout part of the interior.....
I was thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta