Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Our household income is about 200k combined. My husband is a Finance Director I am an Executive assistant. 5 years ago we made less then 100k combined, we were on a budget then and to this day we are still on a budget. The dollar amounts haven't increased too much, because I do not believe in the make more spend more philosophy. I am all about saving, because you never know what will happen. The only noticeable increases are the amounts we spend on our 2 big vacations a year, and Christmas presents for our parents.
Exactly. We would probably have more disposible income if we didn't save as much as we do. We don't have any debt outside one car and our mortgage and we do not live extravagantly by any stretch of the imagination. My spouse makes 200K as an attorney and I work part time in fundrasing which only helps pad the college savings. We save the max for retirement and the max for college educations. We have an extremely expensive healthcare plan because one of our children has serious medical issues. That is our biggest yearly expense outside of our mortgage. I realize we are doing well but we are not wealthy or swimming in cash by any means (we also had to pay for 3 pairs of braces this year ). We keep the same budget we have always had. The difference is when big unavoidable expenses come up, we don't have to scramble to pay for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:04 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
Finance- Hopefully I am not one of the people who gives you the impression that we are struggling. I am about saving and know where to get some deals.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM

286 posts, read 1,086,146 times
I don't know if you are Merin. My comments are general I guess. I do know in times of recession that all classes cut down on unnecessary expenses.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post

If my household income were at $200,000, we'd definitely be "rolling in the dough".

If it's just you and your wife...maybe, but I don't think so. Do you have children? Do you own a home? Do you save for your children's education? Do you save for your retirement? Do you pay taxes?

Maybe the expectations in Georgia are less than in other parts of the country, but $200K for a family of 5 isn't all that spectacular in many places. I'm not crying poverty and don't have to worry about my next meal, but we're certainly not living high off the hog. We have an average house in West Cobb, 2 nice but average cars (no SUVs or gas guzzlers either), my kids attend public schools...but we have no debt besides the house...I pay as I go and I save my money.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:54 AM

179 posts, read 557,595 times
I'm kind of in the mindset that $200k is a lot of money, far more than we see every year. Spouse works in a 'creative' job, making less than $50k, but we own a small company on the side and I freelance and teach at a community college part-time so I can stay at home with my kid (by choice.) We still bring in less than $100k a year, but we own two homes (perhaps not in neighborhoods that most $200k+ people would live in within the city of Atlanta, but we're often feeling adventurous), we have a decent savings, we have a 401k, and we have no debt except for our house, and that includes me getting an advanced degree (aka no school debt.) We drive modest, paid-for cars and even use public transportation sometimes. Reading forums like this make me want to scratch my eyes out - there's just a sense of entitlement and I don't understand how people who make over twice as much as we do feel financially oppressed. Call me confused. I consider myself 'middle class.'

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
I don't feel oppressed, but I do feel middle class.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualM View Post
I'm kind of in the mindset that $200k is a lot of money, far more than we see every year. Spouse works in a 'creative' job, making less than $50k, but we own a small company on the side and I freelance and teach at a community college part-time so I can stay at home with my kid (by choice.) We still bring in less than $100k a year, but we own two homes (perhaps not in neighborhoods that most $200k+ people would live in within the city of Atlanta, but we're often feeling adventurous), we have a decent savings, we have a 401k, and we have no debt except for our house, and that includes me getting an advanced degree (aka no school debt.) We drive modest, paid-for cars and even use public transportation sometimes. Reading forums like this make me want to scratch my eyes out - there's just a sense of entitlement and I don't understand how people who make over twice as much as we do feel financially oppressed. Call me confused. I consider myself 'middle class.'
+2 for you, VirtualM.

There are some very informative charts here: Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In particular, we see that a total of 15.73% of US households (that's households, not individuals) make $100K or more. That breaks down into:

$100K to < $150K: 9.89%
$150K to < $200K: 3.17%
$200K to < $250K: 1.17%
$250K and above: 1.50%

Less than 3% of US households bring in $200K and above, per year. The top 3% of anything is not in the "middle". Median US household income is around $50K. I could buy arguments that the "middle class", income-wise, is relatively small and is located in some portion of the $50K to $150K household income range. But the $200K earners, no matter how financially oppressed they do or don't feel (and I do fully acknowledge that most of the upper-income folk who've been posting here report that they are not complainers, they're savers), are not middle-income. They're upper-income.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM

74 posts, read 342,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualM View Post
It's all in the perception of the person whose looking at whether a six figure income is "rich or rolling in the dough". They don't take into account that these individuals making a six figure income; are in a higher tax bracket, have family to support, debt and other liabilities, and are probably taking care of aging parents, plus trying to save for their childrens' education and their own retirement. Same would go for a person that's at or below the poverty level looking at individuals earning a higher income than them.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
+2 for you, VirtualM.

There are some very informative charts here: Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In particular, we see that a total of 15.73% of US households (that's households, not individuals) make $100K or more. That breaks down into:

$100K to < $150K: 9.89%
$150K to < $200K: 3.17%
$200K to < $250K: 1.17%
$250K and above: 1.50%

Less than 3% of US households bring in $200K and above, per year. The top 3% of anything is not in the "middle". Median US household income is around $50K. I could buy arguments that the "middle class", income-wise, is relatively small and is located in some portion of the $50K to $150K household income range. But the $200K earners, no matter how financially oppressed they do or don't feel (and I do fully acknowledge that most of the upper-income folk who've been posting here report that they are not complainers, they're savers), are not middle-income. They're upper-income.
I hear what you are saying. But food for thought, living in the New York metro area making a similar income we were not able to save money. Our lifestyle while still good by most standards was much less than here. Our property taxes alone were three times higher than in Atlanta.
It is really about where you live. My brother in law and is family live in Indiana make significantly less money (less than half) but have a very similar lifestyle. Their house cost less than $100K, their taxes are lower etc. In Indiana at our salary we would most definaitely be upper income. A lot of it is where you live. $50K in some areas can go a long way, so can $200,000 or not a long way for that matter. So to look at those charts can be very decieving.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
I make $100K with wife, and if by miracle we got a $100K increase in pay, I would definitely be rolling in the dough.
I'm roughly in the same boat as you, and that would be nice. :-) I could pay off the rest of the debt we incurred during my layoff, and then I could get a little bit more serious about my investment portfolio. As in "it would be nice to have one again"...

Last edited by rcsteiner; 09-19-2008 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta