Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:45 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I agree to a point, but there is a big difference between learning some local customs and adapting to some local nuances versus adopting a local accent and speech patterns.

I personally try to steer clear from conversations with stangers that could lead to strong opinions being shared, given the tendency for southerners to assume rudeness instead of just a frank exchange of ideas. I do not walk around with an attitude or expecting things to be "like they were up north", nor do I expect native Atlantans to conform to my view of the world. By the same token, I think some southerners just need to lighten up a bit and realize that being condescending can be just as rude.
I agree with you totally on all of these things. Goodness gracious, a fake accent is as phoney as a person can get. We will all pick up a twinge of speech patterns (the younger, the moreso) if we spend extended time in a new area, but totally picking up a different accent is not being true to oneself.

Knew of a girl that went to study in England for a year and came back with a complete English accent. We all thought she was bonkers.

If a southerner is condescending, then he/she is far from his/her heritage of southern hospitality.

You have to factor in that some southerners have (with good reason at times) felt defensive about their southern heritage and accent. TV and movies have often played into the stereotypical uneducated Bubba schtick. When someone from other parts of the country come to this region and poke fun at an accent, it can feel very condescending.

There are regional cultural differences that we all should appreciate. If we have that general accepting attitude for variety and there is not the feeling of condescension, we can enjoy and even have fun with these differences. Nobody wants to feel inferior, no matter what part of the country they are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttefylooc View Post
And sometimes its not what you say its how you say it. Northerners have a reputation for being too forward and rude, many of them prove the myth right, Its up to you to prove us wrong. AdAPT. Hope that helps
I think it's more a case of you're THINKING northerners are forward and rude. It's all in the perception. I just spent some time in the northeast, and the people I had to deal with were terrific. Yes, they say what they mean, but everyone seems to have a big heart. I think people everywhere are good. Just because they don't say or do what you might be used to doesn't mean their way is wrong, just "different".

Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM

18 posts, read 99,204 times
Can't we all just get along? I moved from New York City 3 years ago, I was born and raised in Brooklyb, NY. There is definitely a difference in culture between the north and the south. Coming from the north I sometmes find the slowness down here irritating. Also the need to want to know more and learn more comes with resistance. I find southerners do not want to change withthe times. we canpresrve the southern hospitality, but the world is changes in all facets. we can all co-exist and learn from each other.

The thing that frustrates me the most is lack of transportation between the one circle I285 and the suburbs where people actually live. Withthe price of gas having to drive everywhere is frustrating. I miss being able to catch a cab or take a bus, train into the city from where you live. I feel that any county that is considered part of the Atlanta metro area should have public transportation to get to the city to enjoy all the riches it has to offer.

I do miss NYC, but I love the weather here in GA. we all just have to have an open mind and try to blend the ways of all. Not so much to change each other, but so we can learn about each other and have an intelligent conversation

Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp4180 View Post
Can't we all just get along? I moved from New York City 3 years ago, I was born and raised in Brooklyb, NY. There is definitely a difference in culture between the north and the south. Coming from the north I sometmes find the slowness down here irritating. Also the need to want to know more and learn more comes with resistance. I find southerners do not want to change withthe times. we canpresrve the southern hospitality, but the world is changes in all facets. we can all co-exist and learn from each other.

The thing that frustrates me the most is lack of transportation between the one circle I285 and the suburbs where people actually live. Withthe price of gas having to drive everywhere is frustrating. I miss being able to catch a cab or take a bus, train into the city from where you live. I feel that any county that is considered part of the Atlanta metro area should have public transportation to get to the city to enjoy all the riches it has to offer.

I do miss NYC, but I love the weather here in GA. we all just have to have an open mind and try to blend the ways of all. Not so much to change each other, but so we can learn about each other and have an intelligent conversation
Most of the newer cities in the south and west developed and grew after the advent of the automobile and lots of available cheap land, thus they grew outward instead of dense and upward. This has led to the term sprawl and Atlanta epitomizes it.

Denser northern cities got a head start on public transportation. The newer cities will take a while to catch up, and with the sprawl, it will never be like what is in place up north. The footprint of Atlanta (and most other cities in the south and west) is too spread out for it to ever make economical sense.

Now what this has to do with southern hospitality and the lack thereof, I don't know....unless... and you may have come to an interesting find here (and I am not being totally tongue in cheek either) is this: Road Rage is the cause of the death of Southern Hospitality.

LOL, just a thought....

Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
What irritates me are those who have lived here for 20 years and root for some other city sports team like Boston or NY. If you like Boston so much then why not live there! If you move here you should adopt at least one local team to cheer for.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinwreck17 View Post
What irritates me are those who have lived here for 20 years and root for some other city sports team like Boston or NY. If you like Boston so much then why not live there! If you move here you should adopt at least one local team to cheer for.

I believe the last time I checked, it's not a requirement to root for the team of the city you live in. LOL

Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinwreck17 View Post
The Braves? Ewww...

I grew up and lived in the Twin Cities for over 40 years, and I was still a Broncos and Cubbies fan.

Of course, I was also a Vikings and Twinkies fan.

I like (and root for) the Falcons. However, the Braves will probably never be high on my list.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:58 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp4180 View Post

You want to get along with Southerners.
Then you lay down (laughable) judgments and generalizations about Southerners.
Then you want to sing Kumbaya.
What's wrong with this picture?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You want to get along with Southerners.
Then you lay down (laughable) judgments and generalizations about Southerners.
Then you want to sing Kumbaya.
What's wrong with this picture?
You have a point there, LD. I think the non-weaseling approach of this hopefully satirical recent post on a related thread about Yankees, http://www.city-data.com/forum/5400548-post38.html is actually kind of preferable.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
You have a point there, LD. I think the non-weaseling approach of this hopefully satirical recent post on a related thread about Yankees, http://www.city-data.com/forum/5400548-post38.html is actually kind of preferable.
LOL I saw that; Northman has a way with words for sure...and I envy him living in Petoskey (in the summer, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta