U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,439 times

Advertisements

hi i recently moved to atlanta from brooklyn and i was wondering how did the locals feel about us.I also have family that have relocated and they said that it feels as if their not wanted sometimes.Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 AM

20,962 posts, read 32,955,214 times
We're quite accustomed to them, believe me.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,597,974 times
People in the South are just as varied as anywhere else. Some will accept you here just as easily as anyone. There are still a few with the "damn Yankees" attitude as well (usually these days those are in the outer suburbs, though). Atlanta is made up of people from all over the world these days, with more coming in all the time. You will most likely not cause anyone to bat an eye in the city. Go 40 miles West to Rockmart or far north to Commerce however, where you have multi-generations of Southerners, and you would draw more attention.

Also, a lot of it depends on you, too. If you come down here to start a new life and "try to blend in" a bit, again, most won't even notice you're here. Every now and then though, someone will come here and constantly do the, "I hate the way they do this here, well, this is how we do it in New York!", bit - and that won't win friends locally. LOL

Old 09-17-2008, 11:56 AM

74 posts, read 308,108 times
Ditto on atlantagregs30217 comment. It's all in the attitude you bring with you to the south or wherever you go that will make some local's turn their nose up at you, people add to flavor of the area, no matter where they come from and leave a little history behind when they leave.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 PM

642 posts, read 1,937,365 times
You will probably get the sense that there are some haters. Some people you work with will probably make the occasional snide remarks and such. And in fact you will see the Y word(Yankee) thrown around on this forum on occasion. The best thing to do is to ignore it if you can. But if it gets to be too much and you get the sense that you're looked at almost on the same level as illegal immigrants or something then you can take the time to remind them that the major industrial centers in the Northeast are very crowded. And that it is in large part because of the number of people that moved up there from the South in the 40-60's seeking jobs. So guess what.

But all in all just be yourself, try to get along with everybody and you'll be fine.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:24 PM

6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times
Growing up in a very rural area an hour south of Atlanta, we welcomed "Yankees" even back in the 60's and 70's with open arms, even in such a "backward" part of Georgia. The old textile mill that helped Hogansville grow for many years was owned by Uniroyal. Some of the management came in from various parts of the country. Hogansville was and is about as southern as a place can be and I believe our hospitality was second to none, so I don't think you would find that attitude in the suburbs or exurbs anymore than anywhere else. Of course you can find the exception to the rule, but you can find him in Brooklyn as well.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,805,419 times
I view people coming from other regions to live here as a good thing. I also agree that some southern radical will annoy you but just pretend like that person is wind. If they call you a Yankee just say that you're trying to become a Brave or something (make a joke of it because it's pointless to get upset). I think the ATL area is used to whoever moving here.

Last edited by David Alleyne; 09-17-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 03:47 PM

6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times
From my perspective, a southerner calling someone from the north a Yankee can be as varied as the person using the term. In older times it might have had a more negative connotation, but it is said in jest most of the time. "Those Yankees have come down here and made the traffic in Atlanta horrible" or something of the like.

It might sound like a xenophobic (did I use that big word correctly?) insult, but the person saying it might be tongue in cheek. I know us southerners like to blame things on the Yankees in jest knowing it is just as much our fault as anyones.

I only use that term if I know the person well and they know I don't have any biases toward anyone from a certain region. Maybe I should watch my Ps and Qs (or my PCness) and refrain from such language.

C'mon south all you Yankees... uh, I mean people from northern states!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 PM

107 posts, read 134,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavy View Post
hi i recently moved to atlanta from brooklyn and i was wondering how did the locals feel about us.I also have family that have relocated and they said that it feels as if their not wanted sometimes.Thank You

Im a southerner, I don't mind those folks moving down here, I just don't like when they complain, Also people from the north share their opinions too fast and share it when not ask for. My thought on it is if you move somewhere adapt...The city should not have to adapt to you, you the individual would have to adapt or go back where you came from. Everyone is welcome here, just listen & look around before opening your mouth. If you have have a certain food or style you like LOOK for it! i'm sure you will find it before you open your mouth and irritate someone to make you feel not wanted. Does that make sense? And sometimes its not what you say its how you say it. Northerners have a reputation for being too forward and rude, many of them prove the myth right, Its up to you to prove us wrong. AdAPT. Hope that helps

Old 09-17-2008, 04:10 PM

107 posts, read 134,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Every now and then though, someone will come here and constantly do the, "I hate the way they do this here, well, this is how we do it in New York!", bit - and that won't win friends locally. LOL
Exactly!! That about sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or