U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 02:01 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times

Advertisements

I'm sure these have probably been mentioned...Big Star, Winn-Dixie, Harris-Teeter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 02:41 AM

6,892 posts, read 9,586,933 times
Have always been a fan of Georgia high school sports. Here are others that come to mind:

Shamrock HS, Henderson HS, Sequoyah HS, Peachtree HS, Walker HS, Gordon, HS (DeKalb)

Austell HS, Acworth HS, Wills HS, Smyrna HS (Cobb)

Briarwood HS, Westwood HS, Woodland HS, Ridgeview HS, MD Collins HS (Fulton)

Price HS, Turner HS, Archer HS, Harper HS, Southwest HS, East Atlanta HS, Dykes HS, Smith HS (Atlanta)

Some of these merged with other high schools when enrollment patterns shifted, some were replaced with newer schools, some still exist but with a name change, some closed and got redistricted. Many of these still exists but are now middle schools.

One of the interesting ones is Smyrna High School that existed for only one year after the merger of Wills and Campbell. The powers that be decided a brand new name would help the transition of the two Smyrna area high schools instead of choosing one name over the other. The Campbell family, however, held the school board's feet to the fire and brought out documents that stated the school on the land they donated would always be named Campbell, so after one year, the merged school reverted back to Campbell High School. The odd footnote is that after a few more years when enrollment began increasing again, Campbell moved back into the old Wills High School building after it and the former adjacent Nash Middle School were renovated.

And tho not in Atlanta exactly, my alma mater Hogansville High, replaced by Callaway High School when Hogansville agreed to merge its city system with Troup County Schools.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 10-19-2008 at 03:06 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 AM

819 posts, read 1,317,015 times
I haven't read the entire thread, so I may be repeating some:

Met my husband of 37 years at Sans Souci
Peppermint Lounge
Jennings Rose Room
The Cook n Chicken
Dupree's
Majestic Diner (next to Plaza Drugs and Doby's Find Foods)

I know there's more, will have to get my brain working this morning.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 17,217 times
Smile Lionel Playworld on Buford Hwy

Anyone remember Lionel Playworld on Buford Hwy? The best toy store! It was near Ellman's, Service Merchandise and Richway and next to Treasure Island and Handy City.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 17,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And of course...what about Turtles? If you remember them, then you remember the trading stamps and waiting for concert tickets. The most famous Turtles that people would know would be the one at Peachtree Battle.
Turtles was the bomb!
Remember Oz Records? Or Franklin Music?
Or when Rich's had a record department?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM

235 posts, read 724,455 times
Quote:
Anyone remember Lionel Playworld on Buford Hwy? The best toy store! It was near Ellman's, Service Merchandise and Richway and next to Treasure Island and Handy City.
Yes, I am old enough to remember that, was a kid, but yea. I know Oxford Book store and Turtles Records were already mentioned. Hmm, Food Lion, A&P, and Record Bar were probably already mentioned.

Not sure about Drug Emporium, which was in ATL in the late 80s early 90s with the really dumb tv commercials where people were flipping around in the isles over the prices. :P

A radio personality I haven't thought of in a while was the Kimmer. I guess he has been gone a while now, not sure if local TV and radio would count, but there is a slew of old shows and personalities.

Last edited by mmenomen; 10-21-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenomen View Post
Yes, I am old enough to remember that, was a kid, but yea. I know Oxford Book store and Turtles Records were already mentioned. Hmm, Food Lion, A&P, probably already mentioned.

Not sure about Drug Emporium, which was in ATL in the late 80s early 90s with the really dumb tv commercials where people were flipping around in the isles over the prices. :P
Grocery and drug stores tend to devour each other in this town.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:01 PM

20 posts, read 95,054 times
That 44 in my screen name is the year of my birth so you can imagine how old I feel reading the stuff I've seen here. I remember darn near everything!!

Now here's a hard one. Does anyone (ANYWHERE!) remember a teen club in Buckhead named The Turntable Club? It was in '59 & '60. It was located behind and below a store, I don't remember what kind, on Peachtree, acroos from and about a half mile or so North of the Buckhead Theater. I met the "love of my life" there. I lost her to my own teenage angst in '61 but still occasionally talk to her (when my wife paying attention.)

Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard44 View Post
That 44 in my screen name is the year of my birth so you can imagine how old I feel reading the stuff I've seen here. I remember darn near everything!!

Now here's a hard one. Does anyone (ANYWHERE!) remember a teen club in Buckhead named The Turntable Club? It was in '59 & '60. It was located behind and below a store, I don't remember what kind, on Peachtree, acroos from and about a half mile or so North of the Buckhead Theater. I met the "love of my life" there. I lost her to my own teenage angst in '61 but still occasionally talk to her (when my wife paying attention.)
Nope - not old enough to remember that, but it made me think about "Jelly Beans" on Roswell Road. It was a roller skating rink located about where Mo Mo Ya's is now.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 PM

20 posts, read 95,054 times
'course I meant to type "when my wife's NOT paying attention."
And the club was South of the theater, not North. I was too busy reliving old days too pay attention to my fingers on the keyboard.

How about does anybody remember listening late at night to the R&B music played on WAOK back in the years when almost any kind of black music was frowned upon by most of white Atlanta? Often played by "Daddy" Sears or "Alley Pat" Patrick. The first place many of us heard Little Richard, James Brown and the Flames, Piano Red, and many more pioneers of rock and roll. (the REAL rock and roll!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or