Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 05:30 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I think you went to Aunt Fanny's cabin in Marietta, George.
Tee-hee, it was a longtime ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:02 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Do you remember a Mexican restaurant on Ponce de Leon--60's, 70's?

And a BBQ place on the way to FL--before you get to Macon?

Misty Waters, Lake Spivey and there was a lake around Lindbergh and Piedmont--I think--LOL --short term memory loss day.

We used to go swimming at Piedmont Park almost the only public pool around.

Venetian pool in Decatur. I think that one is still open?
You are correct...a spring-fed lake that was located right where the old Home Depot was behind Lindbergh (Broadview) Plaza. My dad talks about swimming there when he was young.

There was also:

A pond at the curve on Roxboro Rd, when the Standard Club golf course was still there. We used to stop there on Sunday afternoons and feed the ducks.
A spring on Briarcliff Rd at the front of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church property. They paved it over with a parking lot.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wqxikid View Post
muse's mens shop.........i went to a school in pennsylvania and the driver for the school was Hunter Muse of muse's mens shop from Atlanta....talk about a small world!!!!!
I still remember going with my Dad to Muses. I would play in the hanging racks until I got bored and lied down on those steps that went down to where the suits were and fell asleep! (How long does it take to pick out a suit!?!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:56 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You are correct...a spring-fed lake that was located right where the old Home Depot was behind Lindbergh (Broadview) Plaza. My dad talks about swimming there when he was young.
There was also:

A pond at the curve on Roxboro Rd, when the Standard Club golf course was still there. We used to stop there on Sunday afternoons and feed the ducks.
A spring on Briarcliff Rd at the front of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church property. They paved it over with a parking lot.
Do you remember what it was called? Was that Misty Waters?

The spring at Immaculate Heart of Mary is still around--might not be in front of the church now. It seems to start around Belle Isle and taper off around Berkeley Drive. It's Fern Creek I think.

Have you had a chance to read the 'Peachtee Creek' book? I am so out of it tonight I can't think of all the names of the branches but they start in Decatur--I'm certain of that.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/g...d=oid%3A295391

'

Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Misty Waters/Mac Davis

They Heard Georgia Singing - Google Book Search (http://tinyurl.com/bf35u4 - broken link)

Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Do you remember what it was called? Was that Misty Waters?

The spring at Immaculate Heart of Mary is still around--might not be in front of the church now. It seems to start around Belle Isle and taper off around Berkeley Drive. It's Fern Creek I think.

Have you had a chance to read the 'Peachtee Creek' book? I am so out of it tonight I can't think of all the names of the branches but they start in Decatur--I'm certain of that.

The voyager on Peachtree Creek | Atlanta | News & Views | Cover Story

'
Fern Creek's origin is actually a spring located behind LA Fitness at LaVista and N Druid Hills Rd. Fern Creek joins up with North Fork P'tree Creek.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:02 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wqxikid View Post
the sandwich place at ansley mall was originally named Crops and B....we used to run in to maynard jackson on a regular basis (supposedly on a diet at the time) on sunday evenings at the ansley mall baskin robbins in the late 60s

announcer freddy miller.........."don't miss it .....be there"

Lums steamed in beer hot dogs on piedmont rd

house of eng at 10th street/suzie wong lounge
eng's gourmet in north atlanta
trader eng's hibachi by the henry grady hotel
Thanks! Two of my earliest memories of Atlanta dining. My older brothers were students at Tech and GSU when I was a geeky adolescent. My first hibachi experience was at Trader Eng's and my first Reuben (still my favorite sandwich) was at Crops and B.

I remember Trader Eng's but couldn't for the life of me remember Crops and B, just remembered a sandwich place at Ansley.

Anybody remember the old GEX? I remember one on 41 or 75 somewhere around the airport or just south, seems like there was another one up 85 toward Doraville or Norcross. Sort of a precursor to Costco.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Anybody remember the old GEX? I remember one on 41 or 75 somewhere around the airport or just south, seems like there was another one up 85 toward Doraville or Norcross. Sort of a precursor to Costco.
I remember it. Somehow I think it was near the roller rink but that was on Buford Highway.

I think I went in the GEX when it had passed its heyday. Not too interesting at that time.

Some really interesting shops have opened around Doraville. I love the Korean bakery--Mozart's I think and there is a great accessory store the name escapes me, on the left if you are going towards the library.
And there are a number of small ethnic restaurants. They have really done a lot in that area. LOL--certain that we can thank the Talkmaster for that.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Fern Creek's origin is actually a spring located behind LA Fitness at LaVista and N Druid Hills Rd. Fern Creek joins up with North Fork P'tree Creek.
I need to read that book. That must have been some adventure. The author traveled by kayak from Decatur to the Chattahoochee, IIRC or it could have been Dunwoody.

Time to brush up on Atlanta history. I know I appreciate what we have here more every day.

Just about 'As Good As It Gets', briars and all.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-31-2009 at 02:07 AM..

Old 01-31-2009, 02:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

I do Saintmarks! We used to go to that one back when I was in Elementary School. I'll NEVER forget seeing my first C5A fly over the store on one of our visits.

It was at the Shallowford Rd. Exit of I-85, on the NE corner.

They recently built a new luxury apartment community on that site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta