Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM

16 posts, read 79,192 times

Advertisements

the pennant restaurant across the street from piedmont park.....had great fried chicken

catfish inn on cheshire bridge

morningstar cafe in emory village
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
catfish--Rio Vista--out Moreland. Then for a while, 80's, there was one on Memorial Drive, near Clarkston--that one was never very good. The one on Moreland was A+--if you wanted greasy, tasty catfish and hushpuppies.

Missed The Pennant and the Morningstar.

Emory Village--Everybody's and the 'flowerpot' restaurant.

sigh--'The Peasant' so good. Not certain if the one downtown/midtown is still around.

Mama Fu's has sadly departed Toco Hill --pizza joint is now open it its place.
I suppose I will have to trek up to VA Hi for noodles and coconut soup since I cannot bring myself to search for lemongrass. Might grow some in a few months.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 AM

475 posts, read 684,434 times
- Music Midtown
- Club Kaya
- Harlem Bar :-(

Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
catfish--Rio Vista--out Moreland. Then for a while, 80's, there was one on Memorial Drive, near Clarkston--that one was never very good. The one on Moreland was A+--if you wanted greasy, tasty catfish and hushpuppies.

Missed The Pennant and the Morningstar.

Emory Village--Everybody's and the 'flowerpot' restaurant.

sigh--'The Peasant' so good. Not certain if the one downtown/midtown is still around.

Mama Fu's has sadly departed Toco Hill --pizza joint is now open it its place.
I suppose I will have to trek up to VA Hi for noodles and coconut soup since I cannot bring myself to search for lemongrass. Might grow some in a few months.
Remember the head shop in Emory Village...The Reluctant Drag-in?
I remember sneaking off to see Easy Rider at the Emory Cinema (or as we called it, the "Cimory Enema").
I can't remember the year that all burned down, but I think it was 1972. Just a parking lot now.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 AM

Head shop, no.

Emory Cinema, yes. Next to that was Miss Bagwell's dance studio. Did my first handstand there--and we wore pastel 2 piece skirts/tops. Always wanted the lavender one. Recitals at Ogelthorpe auditorium. LOL at the old pics.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
OMG - I loved that place! I was so young when my grandfather would take us. I had no idea where it was. Thanks for mentioning it! They had the perfect sized catfish. They were small, they did not seem like they were farm raised. They would fry them up so crispy that you could eat the bones if you were lazy

One time we had our cousins in from Toronto, Canada and my grandfather asked them would they like to eat catfish or lobster. As a 7 year old I was frothing at the mouth over the idea over lobster. My cousin replied, "let's eat catfish since I've never had it before."

So off we went to Rio Vista for a wonderful catfish dinner. To this day I remind my cousin that we had lobster as an option and he chose catfish!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:24 PM

I know, George--my grandfather and my Mom celebrated the same birthday in late Feb. So, even on a weeknight we just got in the car and went to Rio Vista--could have been the moon for all I knew. The piles and piles of catfish were something to see--it was difficult to wait, I know that. The coleslaw was good, too.

The Rio Vista salad dressing--so exotic--compared to 1,000 Island--that it was a treat to take home a bottle or two. Must have been oil and vinegar with V8 and a few spices. Sheer culinary genius. :-)

With a slice of Key Lime Pie you might have a perfect meal.

Sour cream w/sugar for the topping, please.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 PM

20 posts, read 125,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Remember when Channel 11 had the call letters WAII? They have changed them twice, once to WQXI, then to WXIA.
That was all after it was first WLWA-TV.

Officer Don (Don Kennedy) is still around. He has a syndicated radio deal call "Big Band Jump" both on radio and the internet. You WILL recognize his voice! bigbandjump.com

Miss Boo (Rosie Clark) is also still around as far as I know. She is a well known local artist and illustrator in Atlanta. You can see some of her work at: jtribbleantiques.com/artwork/rosie/rosie-clark-index

Last edited by Diehard44; 02-06-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times
This may have been mentioned already and I just missed it, but I saw in this morning's AJC that Pano's and Paul's is about to be "gone but not forgotten" -- the location where it's been for the last 30 years is closing, and it's moving to the new St. Regis Hotel in Buckhead, at which point it'll simply be known as "Pano's".

A fond farewell to Pano's & Paul's | AccessAtlanta (http://www.accessatlanta.com/restaurants/content/restaurants/stories/2009/02/04/meridith_pano_s_paul_s_atlanta.html%3Fimw%3DY - broken link)

Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard44 View Post
That was all after it was first WLWA-TV.

Miss Boo (Rosie Clark) is also still around as far as I know. She is a well known local artist and illustrator in Atlanta. You can see some of her work at: jtribbleantiques.com/artwork/rosie/rosie-clark-index
Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta