Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj73 View Post
Kool Korners Grocery. The only place you would see professionals stand outside in the cold or summer heat just to get one of their cuban sandwiches. The building was torn down just this past month. (tear)
No kidding. Hands down the best Cuban sandwich in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 44,261 times
Default Flossie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Wasn't he also at the Varsity Midtown? There was a legendary curb waiter there named Flossie Mae that wore these elaborate hats.
I don't know. I'm so old that the only Varsity locations I knew were the original, the "new" Varsity Jr., and I think there was one in Athens. The original Flossie also wore elaborate hats, so it was probably him.

Where's the Varsity Midtown?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 AM

Default Woody Willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You've got me on that one. When was this on, and what channel?
The Woody Willow Show began on channel 2 in the late 1940s and was the predecessor to the Club House Gang and the Popeye Club.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 AM

Default Stables at Chastain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Absolutely it is still around, and it hasn't looked as good as it does now in years.

You would probably not recognize much of the area anymore, with the exception of some of the older residential areas.
You should see the stables at Chastain now! Years ago Edith Ann Landrum opened a horseback riding facility in the old stables. Most recently the stables have been completely upgraded and are really beautiful.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedOrange View Post
I don't know. I'm so old that the only Varsity locations I knew were the original, the "new" Varsity Jr., and I think there was one in Athens. The original Flossie also wore elaborate hats, so it was probably him.

Where's the Varsity Midtown?
The one on North Ave (original).

Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Foz

3 posts, read 25,950 times
Hope someone can help us remember the name of a seafood restaurant that was located in downtown Atlanta in the 70's (not sure when it actually closed.) We think it was located in the "V" where Spring Street and Peachtree intersected. We ate there when we were first married in 1974, but neither of us can remember the name. Can someone please help? It's driving us CRAZY... Sorry I can't offer more specifics, but this is about all we can remember.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foz View Post
Hope someone can help us remember the name of a seafood restaurant that was located in downtown Atlanta in the 70's (not sure when it actually closed.) We think it was located in the "V" where Spring Street and Peachtree intersected. We ate there when we were first married in 1974, but neither of us can remember the name. Can someone please help? It's driving us CRAZY... Sorry I can't offer more specifics, but this is about all we can remember.
Cross Roads

Old 07-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Foz

3 posts, read 25,950 times
LovinDecatur, I can't thank you enough! Seriously, this one has caused lost sleep over the past couple of weeks. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

By any chance, do you know if they moved to another location, or what happened to them?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,631 times
The thrill of the hunt, I googled "Cross Roads Atlanta Restaurant Seafood" and came up with this 1988 article, for a little trip down memory lane... the article called Cross Roads "the oldest Seafood place in town", so it's no doubt the same place you knew from 1974.

Atlanta seafood war heats up | Nation's Restaurant News | Find Articles at BNET

EDIT: Scanned the article, it says Cross Roads is located in MIDTOWN, not downtown... ummm.

Well, quite a few Atlanta Seafood Restaurants are mentioned in the article, and here is the snippet about Cross Roads...

Quote:
Crossroads, which replaced Herren's as the oldest seafood dinner house in town, will mesquite grill or blacken any piece of fish for the customer who asks.

"We make things available," says Alan Ripans, who co-owns the restaurant with his wife, Gail.

"If every Red Lobster were here on Peachtree Street, we'd love it," Ripans says.

"Unfortunately, most of them are up in the suburbs--between us and our customers," he explains.

Ironically, Crossroads sits in Atlanta's transitional Midtown, a far-removed suburb when the restaurant was founded in 1948.

From suburban, the area went to exclusive high income, then middle income, and then transient in-town.

Now it's becoming part of high-rise downtown. "The location is good. The problem is competition--too many choices," they add.

Still, Crossroads draws regular customers from points as far north and south of the city as Gainesville, Fla., and Griffin, Ga.
Fifty miles may seem a long way to drive for fried Gulf shrimp, broiled red snapper, and Florida lobster (all you can eat for $33.95), but he recalls that he had to close on more than a dozen nights because the food ran out.

"We have gone over a thousand--but not in the past couple of years," boast the Ripans, whose average dinner check is $17.50 and average lunch $5.

The Ripans' theory: If you're trendy, your days are numbered.

In fact, they stubbornly pushed flavor over nutrition at Crossroads even while customers were choosing grilled over fried seven to three a few years ago.

Now the pendulum has swung six to four back in favor of fried.

"People aren't coming here for medical treatment," he argues.

No matter how erratic business may get, price and quality don't go out of style, they trust.

"We're like a Harris tweed herringbone--nothing flashy but a solid part of everybody's wardrobe."

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 07-18-2009 at 05:34 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foz View Post
LovinDecatur, I can't thank you enough! Seriously, this one has caused lost sleep over the past couple of weeks. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

By any chance, do you know if they moved to another location, or what happened to them?
They've been closed for a long time; there is an office building where the restaurant used to be.
My mother used to recall my breaking inti hysterics there at 2 years old when a waitress dropped an entire tray of glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta