U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 PM

12 posts, read 46,109 times

Advertisements

I cannot imagine that the people living there owned that property. If they did and made a bundle from Marta, they certainly needed it. Arjay57, do you have any sources for more info on the community?

And what a great link on the Ottley Lenox property!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 PM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldatlantanative View Post
I cannot imagine that the people living there owned that property. If they did and made a bundle from Marta, they certainly needed it. Arjay57, do you have any sources for more info on the community?
oldatlantanative, I think they did own the property. A deal was cut under Mayor Andrew Young. The residents were represented by T.M. Alexander, a Morehouse grad and prominent figure in the civil rights movement.

Inventory of the T.M. Alexander, Sr. Papers

Black Enterprise - Google Books

Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 AM

37 posts, read 117,537 times
Default More about Brookhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Just curious... you say you walked up to Brookhaven, but where exactly was "Brookhaven" back then? I know that for a long time "Brookhaven" simply referred to the residential neighborhood surrounding Capital City Club, and only recently has it referred to an area. Was there an old Brookhaven "town center" that has since been demolished (maybe by MARTA, like in Doraville), which is where the pharmacy and theather was located? If so, its really too bad they didnt preserve that.
Actually, growing up I never related Brookhaven to the country club, except that if I wandered around enough I'd encounter the back of the golf course. For me, Brookhaven was what ran along Peachtree from N. Druid Hills Rd. (We're in "North Atlanta," DeKalb County) to Ashford Dunwoody. Frankly, Brookhaven "town center" never amounted to much. Like Buckhead, nothing architectural worth preserving except the churches. If the site of Woodrow Wilson's law office could be located (Thanks for the tip, LovinDecatur), then there should be least a plaque!

Earliest memories are from Lanier Drive, which runs by Oglethorpe. It's still a lovely little street, a cul-de-sac with a lake and Our Lady of the Assumption school at the end. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned growing up in Stone Mountain. For me, Brookhaven was just like that: middle-class, nice houses, unlocked doors, knew your neighbors, creek running behind the house, riding bikes, half-naked much of the year, lightnin' bugs in a jar, Christmas lights and neighborhood parties. Plus the distant sound of trains, with their lonesome horns wailing in the night. Magic.

On the Peachtree end of Lanier was what looked like a former railroad station, occupied by Etheridge & Vanneman realtors.

By the way, Windsor Parkway, that runs from Roswell Rd. to Ashford Dunwoody, used to end at Lanier and was called House Road. Apparently developers thought it would be more marketable with a "classy" name.

Now things are coming back. Yes, there was the Brookhaven Theater. Saturday matinées for a quarter. The A&P. There must have been a drugstore, too. Dekalb Federal, where I had my first savings account. Campbell Coal Company along the tracks. And I think a Dairy Queen. And there was the Jim Cherry elementary school. And Cross Keys Apartments.

And a barbecue shack by the tracks at Dresden. Ulver, we called it Farmer John's, though I was always unsure of that because they didn't have signage. But they did have great barbecue. Pulled pork sandwiches! And now that you mention it, I too remember the big retarded guy who stood outside. As I recall, the people behind the counter were a bit grumpy, so I can imagine them chasing poor Crazy Bob with a pan. Screen door and a jukebox. First Elvis I ever heard.

Last edited by JRJay; 08-20-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 02:44 PM

The Barbeque Kitchen appears by 1955 in a Chamblee annual. 4083 Peachtree Rd. Brookhaven. That would be about at Dresden. There was a Simon Davis barber shop (with laundry and cleaning) next door at 4081. Anyone remember "Flag Stop" - an eatery? No address given.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:38 PM

Default Growing up on Peachtree Rd. - 2 - Drive-in Movies

There were the Peachtree Drive-In and the 85 Drive-In. I don't remember which was which, but one was where the Silverbacks Field is now (at Spaghetti Junction) and the other where the Regal 24 multi-plex is now near Shallowford. There was also the Piedmont Drive-In (mentioned earlier by someone) at Piedmont and Lindbergh. I was at the Piedmont the night Mooney's Lake buildings either on Lindbergh or the parallel street (Sidney Marcus? though a different name then) burned (a sort of private pool and small lake with paddle boats). You could see flames over the top of the screen. There was a really scary house close to Mooney's lake.

There was also the Starlight Drive-In (I think) way across town. Maybe it's still operating. There may have been others as well.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
The Barbeque Kitchen appears by 1955 in a Chamblee annual. 4083 Peachtree Rd. Brookhaven.
Now, that rings a bell. Thanks! My dad always said Farmer John's, but now I remember seeing the Barbecue Kitchen sign. It's such a generic name that I must have assumed it meant Farmer John's Barbecue Kitchen. Or maybe the Old Man was just wrong.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:00 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Quote:
There was also the Starlight Drive-In (I think) way across town. Maybe it's still operating. There may have been others as well.
The Starlight Six Drive-In is still very much alive on Moreland:

Welcome to Starlight Six Drive-In!

Old 08-21-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
There were the Peachtree Drive-In and the 85 Drive-In. I don't remember which was which, but one was where the Silverbacks Field is now (at Spaghetti Junction) and the other where the Regal 24 multi-plex is now near Shallowford. There was also the Piedmont Drive-In (mentioned earlier by someone) at Piedmont and Lindbergh. I was at the Piedmont the night Mooney's Lake buildings either on Lindbergh or the parallel street (Sidney Marcus? though a different name then) burned (a sort of private pool and small lake with paddle boats). You could see flames over the top of the screen. There was a really scary house close to Mooney's lake.
Yes! I was always pestering my folks to let me go to Mooney's lake. It really looked neat. And I remember when it burned. The charred remains languished there for a long time. I think it was behind Broadview, like maybe off Morosgo?

About the drive-ins, if you lived out Oglethorpe way, then The Peachtree was convenient. But, The Piedmont was way cool. It wasn't just a screen, but a big monolith in stucco. The side facing Piedmont bore the big neon "Piedmont Drive-In" logo. And landscaping. Compared to that, the Peachtree was the sticks. Hey, not only that but right across the street was the legendary Gigi's pizza. We'd sneak their fantastic pizzas into the drive-in with us.

I've looked around, and it's a shame there doesn't seem to be a color shot of the Piedmont Drive-In signage in its glowing blue glory.

By the way, I must pay tribute to a forgotten place on Piedmont below the now-demolished Lindmont Apartments, in the kudzu next to Peachtree Creek. For decades Bill Boyd's Gulf station stood there. My very first playmate was Bill's boy, Chuck. He was a sweet, red-headed freckle-face. Then, Chuck got leukemia and died. As long as it stood, that Gulf station would remind me of...Chuck.

Last edited by JRJay; 08-21-2010 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM

So the Peachtree Drive-In was the one where Regal 24 is now?

Never mind sneaking in pizza. We sneaked in people in the trunk. Maybe beer (not me though - I hated beer).

Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Never mind sneaking in pizza. We sneaked in people in the trunk. Maybe beer (not me though - I hated beer).

LOL! Yeah, those, too.

So the Peachtree Drive-In was the one where Regal 24 is now?

As far as I can recall The Peachtree was out around Peachtree Industrial.

Last edited by JRJay; 08-21-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or