Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times

Advertisements

Great thread...can't believe it's almost 5 years' running!

Does anyone remember the large industrial plant along (I think) I-85 inside the Perimeter that had "MMMMMMMMMMMM" all along the side of it? I think it was associated with Majik Market or something. Where exactly was this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 16,427 times
Default Lark & Dove

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Indeed I do. Still know the former owner. He's now a Methodist minister that lives in Hiawassee.
Would that be Don Maynard, Jim Christian or ??? (the other owner, Jan Tabica, died a good while ago, I heard). I got my first job at the Lark & the Dove ... I poured water once patrons were seated. I worked there for about three years.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:59 PM

23,443 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole bad dog petey View Post
would that be don maynard, jim christian or ??? (the other owner, jan tabica, died a good while ago, i heard). I got my first job at the lark & the dove ... I poured water once patrons were seated. I worked there for about three years.
#1.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 16,427 times
Default Lark & Dove

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Another restaurant came to mind the other day. Anybody remember "The Lark and the Dove" that was located on Roswell Road just outside of 285? I had my first Caesar salad there.
My first job as a teenager was there. For my first year or so, I worked the dining room, pouring water once patrons were seated. I got tired of that and asked to move into the kitchen, where I work for about two years. I made the Caesar salad dressing served there. Wish I still remembered the recipe.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 AM

284 posts, read 590,368 times
My parents used to eat at the Lark & the Dove and the Diplomat all the time. I barely remember L&D before it closed! I also barely remember the alligators at Dante's old Underground location.

I will always miss Pano & Paul's. That place was the epitome of old school elegance! I love most of the Buckhead Life places but that restaurant had all the old touches that by today's standards are probably too stuffy/continental (violinist, servers refilling your water after every sip...).

Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times

Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,132 times
I do remember the Orange Tekoe (Tico?) and the Miss Georgia stores scattered around town. The one that we always pestered my mom to stop at was on Memorial Drive, possibly around the old Sports Arena on Chester Ave. There was also an Atlanta Dairies bottling plant close by.

The other place that I remember was Two Points (excellent hot dogs) , which stood on Flat Shoals Ave. where the ramp to I-20 east from Moreland Ave. is now. I have a co-worker whose dad runs the furniture store just across the street. He remembers ALL that area from way back when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDan View Post
Miss Georgia Dairies Store on Hemphill Avenue and Miss Georgia Store downtown across from the Paramount Theater both sold "Spinning Wheels". Also, does anyone remember the Orange Tekoe store that was next to the Loews Grand. Their signature drink was a lot like Orange Julius only way better

Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Herren's was a downtown mainstay for 50 years.

The owner, Ed Negri, just passed away. He also had a restaurant/jazz room in Buckhead.

BuckheadView: Herren’s Restaurant’s Ed Negri dies at age 91, closing another chapter in Atlanta history and for sweet rolls
Ah, sweet roles and prime rib. I remember eating there, waiting for Light-up-Atlanta to start. When we came out of the dark restaurant, the area was packed with people. That event was another good idea that died quickly due to poor crowd coordination/management.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboy View Post
I have not been on here in awhile....Just wanted to add that Everybody's pizza is now gone( as of March 2013) and the little shopping center that house Book Nook, Windfaire, liquor store, and laundry mat has been razed( no word as of yet as to what will take its place)
Windfaire, the sometimes controversial head-shop??

Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 16,939 times
Default Old atlanta places

I guess I am a lot older than the rest of you. I remember favorite places like:
the Yellow Jacket
PickRick for Sunday dinner
JD's Steakhouse on Stewart Ave. (awesome food)
First Pizza I ever had was at Al's Pizza on 10th St. after a movie at the Fox.
The only Shoney's around was was out W. Peachtree
Rakestraws on Bankhead Hwy.
Dales Cellar
and The Teddy Bear Grill across from West Fulton High School.
Wow - guess I am old.
And forgot Zestos.

Last edited by JulieSunshine; 06-11-2013 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: ADDITION
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta