Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM

6 posts, read 19,551 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving up to the Atlanta area from Tampa, Florida this winter for school. I'm going to be attending Georgia Perimeter College in Dunwoody. I've heard great things about Alpharetta and I was wondering if that was a pretty easy drive to the Dunwoody campus. I'm not opposed to living in Dunwoody either, especially if it's right around the campus. I was hoping to stay in the $600-$800 range for a one bedroom or studio. I did a little bit of research and found some places off Holcomb Bridge Rd, Lexington Farm Apt Complex, and one off Gardner Dr. in Alpharetta. Are these pretty safe areas? I would really appreciate any other suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,176 times
GPC Dunwoody is right in the middle of residential Dunwoody - very nice area but it's all houses.

However, Perimeter Center (the business district around Perimeter Mall) is very close by and has lots of apartments and condos. It's an upscale city with a very nice mall, tons of restaurants, and pretty much every store all right there. "Commute" to GPC Dunwoody would be like 5 minutes. I don't know about prices though so you'll have to check that out yourself. Just look at everything around Perimeter Mall. This area will have either a Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, or Atlanta zip code and address.

As for Alpharetta, that's a very nice and extremely safe area. Commute to GPC Dunwoody isn't too bad, 20 minutes on average I'd say, could be 30. There's a small GPC "campus" in Alpharetta, if a class you need to take is offered there you can take it there instead of Dunwoody.

Holcomb Bridge Road however is in Roswell (or Norcross, on the Gwinnett County side) and there are shady areas there, though that's pretty much the only shady area of Roswell which is otherwise really nice.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:13 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Traffic around GPC Dunwoody is so bad this year that it is has gotten written up in the local press. You would be wise to live as close as possible (there isn't really anything walking distance, but perimeter center is a great choice.)

http://www.thecrier.net/articles/200...gpctraffic.txt

I know this article is a few weeks old, but friends tell me that it hasn't gotten any better.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,574 times
If I were you, I would look into condos for rent in one of the Perimeter Center condo developments or maybe a townhome in that area. I think the big one is Manhattan or something? Not totally sure. It would be pretty cool, because you could go to Taco Mac for beers or something (assuming your of age) right downstairs and it is a good place to hang out (for the suburban nature of the area). Also the mall is right there. It would also be a good area to jump on 400 to head into town for more exciting nightlife.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:10 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
[quote=lastminutemom;5331321]Traffic around GPC Dunwoody is so bad this year that it is has gotten written up in the local press. You would be wise to live as close as possible (there isn't really anything walking distance, but perimeter center is a great choice.)

Yes, traffic is very bad up and down Tilly Mill at different times during the day. And it's not just typical rush hours times: it's whenever classes let out at GPC (on the hour? I'm not sure). It can take a good 10-15 minutes to clear the area when classes are in transition. So be sure to take that into account when you're looking at commute time.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 12,207 times
Try addison place apartments off of abbotts bridge. They might be slightly over 800 but its hard to find your price range in the area you are looking. Market rate has increased

Old 09-27-2008, 05:39 PM

214 posts, read 915,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgd711 View Post
I'm going to be moving up to the Atlanta area from Tampa, Florida this winter for school. I'm going to be attending Georgia Perimeter College in Dunwoody. I've heard great things about Alpharetta and I was wondering if that was a pretty easy drive to the Dunwoody campus. I'm not opposed to living in Dunwoody either, especially if it's right around the campus. I was hoping to stay in the $600-$800 range for a one bedroom or studio. I did a little bit of research and found some places off Holcomb Bridge Rd, Lexington Farm Apt Complex, and one off Gardner Dr. in Alpharetta. Are these pretty safe areas? I would really appreciate any other suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance for the help.

I do not recommend Alph for GPC in Dwoody. I work in Alpharettan and will be attending GPC/Dw in the spring and driving to the campus was a nightmare w/o navigation (used a printed map from google). There are way to many turns and you really can only take 400 down to Northridge and that's where the fun begins.

I recommend staying in Dunwoody. But be careful, some apts are sketchy.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
The suggestion about finding a condo/apt near Perimeter Mall sounded good.

There are a number of apartments on Holcomb Bridge Rd/Spalding Drive/Peachtree Corners as another option. The commute should be less than 30 minutes with several alternative routes.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:31 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have found a couple of apartments that seem to be pretty close to GPC (at least according to Mapquest). One of them is on Barclay Dr. and the other is on Peachford Rd. It looks like the closest major road is N. Peachtree Rd (not sure if those other two are small off streets or not). Any opinions on these two streets would help me out a lot. I'm driving up there in a couple of weeks to check some places out, and I'm trying to get my agenda together. I only have a few days so I'm trying to narrow it down. I will definitely check out the area by Perimeter Mall, everyone has nothing but very positive things to say about that area. Thanks again for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta