U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2008, 11:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 21,481,237 times

Advertisements

I had no idea this had happened before, other than one highly publicized crime a year or so ago, but thought I'd post the warning for those who use this...

The Silver Comet Trail is a paved trail that once finished, will go from Atlanta to Birmingham (for those not in the area). It's a paved trail for bikes, walkers, joggers, and in limited areas, people on horses. Apparently, in West metro Atlanta (Paulding County - Dallas, GA), teens have been assaulting bikers on the trail.

Here is a link to the story: Cyclists Assaulted On Silver Comet Trail - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Anyone who uses the trail should use caution and common sense. Not walking/riding alone and be with others, don't be on the trail after dark, etc. I again, was unaware this was happening. Sad. Personally, if I were biking and saw three people blocking the road, I would start peddling faster and aim straight for one of the guys on the side. I might still get my butt kicked, but at least I'd take one of them out with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 PM

481 posts, read 2,007,459 times
too bad it doesn't go through Kennesaw, maybe we could see how many citizens actually obey the "must own a gun" law.

Though I wonder where a biker would pull a gun out of, looking at those tight shorts....

you know, there was a school shooting once in an American college (forgot where), and the shooter was stopped by students who ran to their cars and pulled out their guns

Old 09-19-2008, 12:17 AM

321 posts, read 747,314 times
You could always retrofit your bicycle with a trusty ball bat ... with an attractive leather holster attached to the bike frame. At 10-15mpg peddling ... that ought to clear the roadway a bit.

Gracious ... just can't seem to have anything nice these days ... hey, where are these kids PARENTS?

Here's the URL for the rules of the road:

PATH Foundation (http://www.pathfoundation.org/index.cfm?event=showTrailEtiquette - broken link)

Last edited by rswlguy; 09-19-2008 at 12:31 AM..

Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 AM

481 posts, read 2,007,459 times
recommended levels of protection

level 1 - bike with mounted water gun

level 2 - ride around strapped

level 3 - blast they ass

Old 09-19-2008, 12:50 AM

49,726 posts, read 46,804,402 times
major downside of bikes, no armor limited speed.
mean streets do not loan themselves to green transportation.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 7,123 times
My boyfriend and I were riding the trail in Al when we came upon a very old Honda motorcycle and a very dirty stringy haired man standing on the side of the trail. At first he looked like he was using the bathroom but he was standing beside a bridge. These kind of people are who to watch for...no motorized vehicles! I always carry my 9 ml and am considering a shoulder strap for it...I am a female who carries wherever she goes and wouldnt go on the trail without it. Be smart or be a victim. I think even if you have a gun if you cant easily access it you may be in trouble if there are more than one..even if you have a friend you ride with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta