Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 AM

17 posts, read 38,502 times

Advertisements

Those are great stats-mabe UK could learn a thing or two.......

Like I said NO intention of causing debate-didn't think,was just thinking of another difference btn here & there & obviously not thinking about how you as residents really feel about it.
I apologise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
I have a concealed permit and I carry quite a bit. Always carry one in my center console as well. I don't carry it inside work, but I would if I was allowed.

I have yet to shoot someone. Go figure?

I didn't use to carry and then two Mexican Gang Bangers cornered me one night and the rest is history.

Are you worried about a law obiding citizen like myself carrying or the illegal trash that are breaking other, more serious laws carryiing?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Like I say-didn't think through question & now my fears/thoughts/questions are pretty much answered.
Remember I come from a country where the law is different-doesn't mean I don't respecct your laws,just that I know little about them.
I know alot about crime-here.UK is not a crime-free country.Anyone wishing to committ an offence,of any nature will do so.If someone wants a gun here they will get hold of one,I only assumed if it was easier to get hold of gun,it's easier to do the crime.
Difference is here you can't even defend yourself whereas over there (US) it is your right to.As I understand it.
Any law abiding ,sensible person is not a worry.It's the ones that are off their head in the first place & they can be found anywhere on the planet.
I started off thread saying I was not niave-but I obviously am-about the wrong things.....

Old 09-22-2008, 11:58 AM

165 posts, read 548,771 times
During social studies, history, or world policy courses did you ever learn about nuclear deterrent.... It's kinda like that, but on a smaller scale of impact. If you're a criminal...do you care about the law? FREK NO. You want something -- you use anything at your disposal to take it...but there's a catch when you try that on somebody who is willing to protect their family.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
During social studies, history, or world policy courses did you ever learn about nuclear deterrent.... It's kinda like that, but on a smaller scale of impact. If you're a criminal...do you care about the law? FREK NO. You want something -- you use anything at your disposal to take it...but there's a catch when you try that on somebody who is willing to protect their family.

Excellent analogy. Many people liken it to insurance. You may never need it, but if you do you're glad you have it.

Last edited by Pilot1; 09-22-2008 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 PM

Yeah-I'm understanding now-it makes good sense actually.
You see this is why I love America!! you guys are great-thanks for the support & the answers.
Hope I didn't put anyone's back up.
I feel better now.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:28 AM

37 posts, read 156,830 times
It's the philosophy that neolibertarians call "Peace, through superior firepower." I am a former police officer and have a carry permit, but I rarely carry a firearm outside my home, unless I am driving long distances (out of town road trip). My personal thought about it is "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." I hardly think about the pistol in my bedroom, but I know that if a bad guy invades my home in the middle of the night, I'll be able to protect my family with something more efficient than a baseball (cricket) bat, or a clothes hanger.
And, Miami is not the safest town in the country. I agree that anti-gun laws serve to disarm the law abiding citizen, and make it safer for the still armed criminal as they won't worry as much about their victims being armed.
Just keep them smokewagons away from the young'ns.

Afterthought: Is it still required by law in Switzerland for males over 18 to have a military issued rifle in their homes at all times? Something to do with the Swiss relying on inactive militia for national protection. You see many examples like that and the Kennesaw law. Most of these places have relatively low crime. I think London Metro started carrying firearms a few years ago didn't they?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:26 AM

Yeah more & more police are armed these days over here,sign of the times.

Not sure about Switzerland but I know they do in Cyprus & I believe gun crime is very rare & almost every household must have one.

I really didn't know much about this subject & have learnt alot the past couple of days reading all these replies-I certainly have a different view on it myself now.
Thx

Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM

165 posts, read 548,771 times
I wonder what crime is like in Israel since nearly everyone has served and/or is armed.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Before people jump on me...this is anecdotal...but I think if you researched the statistics they would bear this out. You hear many more times about an accidental shooting than you do a shooting where someone was protecting themselves against a legitimate threat. Often the accidents are children who got a hold of their parents weapon.

I'm not against people having weapons and protecting themselves, but in states like GA that are "shall issue" states, unless you're drooling on yourself and have a rap sheet, the state/county must issue you a license to carry. No training and no oversight. If you only want to keep the gun in your home, then the federal Brady Law restrictions are pretty much it and no training is required at all. You need more training to drive a car, cut hair, be a plumber or electrician than you need to own a firearm in GA.

With freedom comes responsibility, and many assume that requiring responsible ownership is less important than proving some political point about the 2nd amendment. They take the position that ANY licensing, training, or other restriction, no matter how common sense in nature on ownership is automatically bad. Recently, the GA legislature passed a law allowing weapons in bars and transit. I'm not too sure why you need a weapon in a bar...again...a little common sense. These same folks went to court to try and force their desire to carry concealed weapons in the non-secure areas of Atlanta's airport. Of all the places, especially post- 9/11, that we DO NOT need people carrying weapons is an airport. Aren't the many cops, cameras, and other security measures enough? It's just politics over common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta